My message to the derpy hoves conterversy

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How do you feel about this derpy conterversy?
Poll ended at 05 Feb 2013, 1:45 am
I think derpy is offensive and makes fun of people with disabillitys. 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
I dont see derpy as offensive. 50%  50%  [ 14 ]
I see derpy as an insperation for everyone! 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
I don't know wether or not I think derpy is offensive.... I can kinda see it both ways. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:45 am

I understand your argument and although it is valid I have only watched one episode and the clip of original derpy . I have a disability and a 9 year old friend who has Down syndrome and I am in no way. shape or form offended by derpy or her actions, voice cross eyes, or appearance. As a matter a fact derpy in many ways reminds me of me and makes me feel accepted.Seeing derpy made me feel good about myself and proud of who i am. But, when derpy was censored it made me feel unwanted and like an outcast, ; like I should be ashamed. Derpy was an inspiration to me as im sure others, just for me it was so much more then a fan tribute…. It actually meant something from the heart. Something to help me feel confident and not like a mistake. RIP DERPY :,( I will always keep you close to my heart.

hears my message to derpy and her fan base

dear derpy,
I support you all the way! Derpy is an inspiration for everyone and send the most positive message out of all the other pony's.
"Stay true to who you are, its ok to be different, and also so love and respect for everypony even if they mess up sometimes.
Seeing derpy for the first time made me feel good about myself and proud of who i am. But, when derpy was censored it made me feel unwanted and like an outcast. And seeing you here on youtube makes me feel like not giving up. Thank you for inspiring me and so many other kids to not be ashamed.

keep smiling,
Jennifer

So my question to you is how dose derpy affect you? Is she offensive? Heartwarming? or maybe a bit of both?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 1:57 am

I feel that they should leave Derpy alone and move onto something else. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2013, 2:02 am

I'm extremely clumsy, and have a fair amount of vision problems myself. I like Derpy Hooves. Though, I can see why some may see the name as offensive.

Recon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2013, 2:09 am

Has anyone seen this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-_HeVNYOk[/youtube]

Heartbreaking!

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2013, 2:47 am

Recon wrote:
Has anyone seen this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-_HeVNYOk[/youtube]

Heartbreaking!

Aww... Poor derpy hooves. :cry:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 4:02 am

Nope not offended at all. I find it silly to get offended over a character.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Recon

22 Jan 2013, 8:16 am

Foxxtale wrote:
Aww... Poor derpy hooves. :cry:

I know. That's a very emotionally compelling video. I mean, really - its a cartoon pony but I became a complete mess watching it. I watch these shows with my little 5 year old daughter, and its a nice bonding time for us. I find though that because the characters are so well developed and have extremely realistic and consistent personalities, that this show is extremely watchable for adults. Its not just a kids show that's for sure! Very strange, and unexpected.

Foxxtale
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2013, 8:36 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB_cb5ELYII[/youtube]

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 10:57 am

What controversy? I thought that died out a while ago. I'm really not in favor of bringing this argument back up. The storm has passed, and now we should just sit back and enjoy the reduced amount of Derpy we still have.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Jan 2013, 1:00 pm

The whole reason Derpy exists like this in the first place is because the animation software made her eyes all derpy and the editors didn't get off their lazy asses and fix it. :lol:

Even if it was intended that way in the end (because they never fixed it), I don't really see any offense in it.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2013, 5:36 pm

I honestly don't care if we don't see Derpy in the show anymore, because there will always be fan-made stuff.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 5:42 pm

Recon wrote:
Has anyone seen this?
Heartbreaking!

Aww that made my bawl my eyes out :cry:

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 5:45 pm

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
What controversy? I thought that died out a while ago. I'm really not in favor of bringing this argument back up. The storm has passed, and now we should just sit back and enjoy the reduced amount of Derpy we still have.

People are saying that derpy will no longer be in the show starting season 4. :(

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

jenisautistic wrote:
One-Winged-Angel wrote:

People are saying that derpy will no longer be in the show starting season 4. :(

There's no way to prove or disprove the legitimacy of this rumor's source. We won't have any idea until the season 3 finale. But I think Hasbro would be smarter than this. With Derpy being such a popular character, and only a very small number of people being offended, cutting her out of the show like this would generate much more outrage than the alternative which has already been done. Everyone is already used to this and it has clearly not cut into Hasbro's profits or in any way made things more difficult for them. They have nothing to lose by staying the course, plenty to lose by tossing out a beloved character, and nothing to gain either way. And up to now, even Hasbro has recognized that the quality and popularity of the show is a direct result of the creative freedom they've left to those making it. The show is very profitable as it is. Why would they suddenly reverse what's worked so amazingly well for them and become heavy-handed control freaks and micromanage the show's plot as this person claims?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

I'm not ashamed of my ignorance... WTF is a derpy?

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:42 am

Rascal77s wrote:
I'm not ashamed of my ignorance... WTF is a derpy?

Yeah, that^. Am I just old, or what?