Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 2:22 am

So I joined an autism awareness group at university. I haven't gone to any meetings yet, but my first one is on Feb 13th. I never tell people about asperger's and am not sure if it would be good to do so in this case. There are also volunteer events that happen through this group. Would I ever have a reason to tell people there about my AS or should I just act like an NT who wants to raise autism awareness. I'm sure that the group is a mix of NTs and people on the spectrum.

kirostun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2013, 2:27 am

I wouldn't tell anyone about it unless it is someone really close and a good person.

Yuugiri
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 2:29 am

I'd say be yourself and just tell them the truth if anybody asks.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 9:50 am

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. It is totally up to you. You can go and help without saying a word about it. Is that what you really want to do, though? You joined the autism awareness group, so you might find yourself wanting to speak out and move into a greater advocacy role. This still does not necessarily entail disclosing your diagnosis. What would be the cons of disclosing? What are you worried about?