Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SouffleGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2013, 4:29 am

...that, no, you are not the only person who does/doesn't do [insert quirk here].
Nor are you not an aspie if you don't do [insert quirk here].
Not everyone is the same. Whether or not you are speaking of aspies/autistics or using the word "everyone" as an institution.

This is only a friendly reminder. Infer from it what you will.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:33 am

I don't get it what you are trying to say with your posting. :?

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:34 am

Raziel wrote:

I thought I'm the only one who doesn't understand the OP.

SouffleGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2013, 4:35 am

From what I've seen, I could safely say that around 70% of the posts here consist mostly of:
-"Am I the only aspie who...?"
-"Do all aspies...?"
-"Is this an aspie thing...?"

etc.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:39 am

SouffleGirl wrote:
From what I've seen, I could safely say that around 70% of the posts here consist mostly of:
-"Do all aspies...?"

etc.

Well that's why a lot of ppl. come here to figure out if they are on the spectrum or not and to figure out if something else is "wrong" with them. Just some stay longer if you will.
In my case, I mostly figured out here that I was missdx once and that I propably don't just have "normal" depression but bipolar and that through questions. (Of course I also talked with a shrink about it)
Autistics tend to think very structured and logic and some things just wouldn't add up for them by their own, so they ask and most move on with the knowledge they get.
That's how I see it.

Last edited by Raziel on 23 Jan 2013, 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 4:55 am

SouffleGirl wrote:
-"Do all aspies...?"

etc.

What do the other 30% consist of?

SouffleGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2013, 5:00 am

Yes, but a lot the things people wonder about are really mundane or the same questions are repeated over and over in different words.
So this is just a friendly reminder that such questions do not have to repeated. Or that the answer to most of those questions will simply be "no."
The remaining 30% are posts that are not like that. I hate to word it this way but I don't know how else to do so: posts that are actually asking something of substance.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:32 am

Topics like that let you know that you aren't the only one like that.

For example, before being on this forum I didn't know that there were other people that had a lot of problems learning to tie their shoes and learned at a much later than normal age or that learned to ride a bike late or not at all. I've never met anyone in real life like that and had I admitted stuff like that in real life I'd just get told I'm the only one like that and disbelief that I learned late or couldn't do such "easy" things.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:48 am

I'm loving this recent trend of 'Don't post threads like this, this, this and this!'

Just post the type of thread you do want to see on the board!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:52 am

Raziel wrote:

I had to read it real slow about three times to figure it out. Fortunately, it was short enough or I wouldn't have bothered reading it three times real slow.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:54 am

hanyo wrote:
Topics like that let you know that you aren't the only one like that.

For example, before being on this forum I didn't know that there were other people that had a lot of problems learning to tie their shoes and learned at a much later than normal age

I was the only one in my first grade class who didn't know how to tie shoe laces.

I was also the only one who had no idea I had a last name. As far as I was concerned, I was Mr. Eric.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 5:58 am

If a person has a query about something they think might be Autism-related I would have thought 'General Autism Discussion' was the place to post it. If people aren't keen on that type of thread - why read it? There's other threads on different subject matter to read instead or you can start your own thread.

I can't see what the problem is.

Specifying what should and shouldn't be posted to such an extent is surely going to put people off and we want to encourage people to post don't we?

I find it very hard to work out the type of threads people do want and why they always seem to expect others to be creating them.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 6:22 am

I'm with Raziel, nessa238 and hanyo.

People come here and ask questions because they want to know something. WP is a very useful place to know the ideas/insights/experiences of other people with AS/autism. Repeating the same/similar questions can't be helped because we are not here all the time and don't know if the same question has been asked before unless you go through pages. Sure, we would rather avoid asking the same questions, but that's not easy. Also remember that there are users who are new or not familiar with the site.

Each person can decide whether if a question is asking "something of substance" and others don't have to agree. It doesn't even have to have significance to others as long as it means something to the poster.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 7:15 am

how, exactly, is this friendly? :lol:

if you have to tell people that it is friendly, then... it probably isn't.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

SouffleGirl wrote:
-"Do all aspies...?"

etc.

I dislike threads like that.
Just because you're an aspie and you do it, it doesn't mean everyone with Asperger's does.
However, I've had people (both IRL and on the web) telling me I was not intelligent enough to have Asperger's, just because according to them I should have been a math genious that passed her time sitting, never talking and writing numbers on the wall to have Asperger's. How ignorant. I hate these stereotypes.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 8:24 am

Rascal77s wrote:
SouffleGirl wrote:
-"Do all aspies...?"

etc.

What do the other 30% consist of?

29%Is/was [well known historical figure/tv character] an autistic person?
1%complaints about said trend without providing something of more substance to discuss

:)

Seriously though I think that some of the threads mentioned can be pretty good if they provide an explanation to why they do something, they are interesting