Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

AnIngeniousParadox
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

Cool! That's an interesting correlation. It's got some serious face validity. It makes a lot of sense that spectrumy people would be good at memorization, maths and sciences. Just gotta keep in mind, this isn't savantism and not all people on the spectrum are good at STEM.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

Cathylynn, interesting. Though my aspie father was an engineer, I would add that it's not just technical and scientific fields in which autistics excel. Some of us are pretty good at the humanities too.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 4:45 pm

I'm an engineer ;). Time to solve the world's problems!

sandy0605
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2013, 5:44 pm

I'm starting a Uni degree in Engineering next month :)

Moriel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Feb 2013, 6:14 pm

While being good at STEM is certainly a positive aspect, it's true that not everybody in the spectrum think in patterns.

I can think of other positive aspects:

- Most are really honest and pure
- Most are free of vices such like greed, malice, gossiping and superficiality
- Most know what unconditional love is

Source: what my son and husband taught me. Although as an NT mom to an autistic son I might be biased, right? ;)

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2013, 10:37 pm

Moriel wrote:
While being good at STEM is certainly a positive aspect, it's true that not everybody in the spectrum think in patterns.

Source: what my son and husband taught me. Although as an NT mom to an autistic son I might be biased, right? ;)

- Most indeed, can't be too honest and too pure in life though (we tend to become too much of an object of manipulation and derision)
- Those vices (if developed properly) help us survive in the NT society (intuition is more of a development, as opposed to the overtly naive instinct that most posses)
- Love is a passion like any, and unlike any other. It obviously requires focus and patience. It's about sacrifice and sharing. Lots of hard work, pain and suffering. First of all understand that if you love somebody you should set them free (eventually you should tell them about that though). Then find a way to explain to them it's not a gamble (as our current culture enslaves many people to believe it is). Finally show them your pain and make it expressly obvious so that they understand it. That kind of "unconditionality" makes or breaks people (those who are capable of understanding it will, those who don't you should avoid).

Last edited by GnothiSeauton on 05 Feb 2013, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 11:31 pm

Moriel wrote:

Oh, how much I agree with this, I see these qualities within myself all the time and I really cherish them. It's just a bonus that they come so naturally!

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2013, 12:44 am

I see myself as a performing artist/teacher. I get a kick out of my performance/teaching and try to enjoy the results of my work. Always trying to improve the world around me.