Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

I was a normal baby but then suddenly regressed in development overnight when I was about 8-9 months old. Around the same time, I started developing allergies gradually, until around 4 years old, I was allergic to nearly everything. At about 54 months, ALL my allergies disappeared overnight--they have yet to return-- and my autistic symptoms have been gradually improving since then, with big leaps in social development at 5, 12, and 20.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Could allergies and autism be connected in some way, at least in some cases? Maybe as an auto-immune disorder?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

I'm allergic to seafood and cats. This hasn't changed my entire life, and believe it or not, I now have a cat. I also have Benadryl around. The cat's only here temporarily till his owner finds a place. He's homeless right now. I also don't see my allergies being connected to my autism as lots of NT people are allergic to seafood and cats.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 4:24 pm

I have an autoimmune disorder, but no allergies to common things.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 8:55 pm

I have had seasonal/airborne allergies since four or five, but that runs strongly on my fathers' side. I have a spontaneous genetic deletion which causes my autism. Totally unrelated!

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 1:55 am

I was hugely allergic as a little child and I still have allergies. I was having allergies and asthma even before I was in kindergarten.
I still have allergies, but not that bad anymore. But I don't know anything about regression in my case.

We actually don't know that much about the immune system and also how this could be connected to ASD, there are just theories about it. A friend of mine is dx with ASD and an unknown immune disorder, she is getting sick all the time.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

When i was a young child i also experienced a lot of various allergies from different foods, to possible fabric materials and environmental factors such as pollen,etc.
This went away with age.