Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ScottoM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2013, 12:32 am

Hello, my name is Scott. I am 25 years old and I have Asperger's Syndrome. I having trouble finding employment and I need some tips on how to get a job, and what jobs would be best for me.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2013, 1:53 am

Yeah, usually people like us cannot get a fair shake. Pizza Hut is usually desperate for workers. They're definitely the worst chain to work at, though -- hence the high turnover and the low expectations held by management of new hires. If it weren't for those crappy jobs, we'd never "get our foot in the door."

Unfortunately, PH is political like any corporate environment, so they'll probably never promote you. They do have a tendency to cross-train every function except for delivery driving, which would require commercial insurance. Call your local Pizza Hut(s) and ask if they're a member of a "hospitality group" -- those are the worst to work for because of all their additional CRAP regulations such as scrubbing the baby high chairs every day and following a damned script for everything -- no improvising to save time because the "hospitality group" has mooks spying and auditing practically every week at random times, in person and by phone, pretending to be customers.

So if you really need the money of employment, then Pizza Hut is one of the more likely places to give you a tryout. It's difficult to call it "dignified," though. It is also common where you can fill in for others to earn extra pay, but the manager will send you home if you're getting close to overtime and there are others around who can take over for the night.

My interview for Pizza Hut waiter was a pair of instructions:
Q1) "Describe your philosophy of customer service."
My A1) "I will listen to the customer, double check the details of the order, and ensure the customer is happy."
Q2) "Describe a situation in which you had a bad customer service experience, and describe what you would have provided better service."
My made-up A2, because I never had a bad customer service experience due to not getting out much) "When I was at the diner, I dropped my fork. I asked the waitress for a replacement, but she returned with one having a bit of crust on it. I was disgusted and asked her for a cleaned and sanitized fork instead. My improvement to the situation would have been to retrieve the fork from a designated clean rack and then examine the fork on both sides for any signs of dirt or grease before delivering it to the customer."

The example for Number 2 actually happens a lot in Pizza Hut, especially during buffets, because PH managers tend to short-staff to save money. Just remember to write down the order in which you seat customers and to replace the silverware every time you clean a dirty table or booth, and the chaos will be more manageable.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 2:05 am

I hear a lot of trades need apprentices, you get paid to learn

you could try going to a local union hall and asking

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2013, 3:34 am

I found it easier to get a job with a temping agency. You only have the one interview with the agency and then they put you in temporary positions with different companies. It's good for getting experience on your cv and less stressful than going to lots of different interviews. I also managed to get a permanent job at one place when the person I was covering decided not to return after maternity leave. Joining a couple of agencies will also increase your chance of being placed somewhere.

When in doubt........mumble.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 6:41 am

Hello Scott,

Where are you in the world, can you give an approximate location?

What are you school results, do you have higher education qualifications?

What are your interests?

If you can provide more information the advice you receive will probably be more appropriate.

Best regards.

KateUher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2013, 7:58 am

A good book is Asperger's on the Job by Rudy Simone.

Author of "The Gifts of Autism, an A-Z" (A children's book)
and "Disappearing Girl" (Another ASD memoir) https://thesensitivityspectrum.com/writing/

ScottoM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2013, 6:34 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
Hello Scott,

Where are you in the world, can you give an approximate location?

What are you school results, do you have higher education qualifications?

What are your interests?

If you can provide more information the advice you receive will probably be more appropriate.

Best regards.

I live in Vancouver, British Columbia.

I did well in school and I have obtained a web design certificate and Food Safe.

My interests are video games and the internet.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

While there is unemployment here and getting jobs is tougher for aspies aaaannnnddd I need a better job myself, there are jobs in and around vancouver.

Tons of them get posted on craigslist or jobbank.gc.ca

There are many temp agencies around town, especially for unskilled construction labour if you're willing and able. More jobs available in physical work than white collar since there are so many educated people here. There are office temp agencies, but you'll find work much faster doing a labour job/warehousing/construction since those are much more in demand.

There's also a thriving tech industry, so you might find something web related - but pay is low, typically.

If you want to make decent steady money, you can't go too wrong with a construction trade here due to the supply and demand. Tradesmen easily out earn university educated people in Metro Vancouver. I really should have apprenticed a trade long ago. :lol:

I don't know how social you are or aren't, but there's phenomenal money to be made in the service industry in this town due to all the cash money in our economy. Bartending, serving tables etc can make wicked money here. If you're not that social but don't mind the fast paced atmosphere and crowds, even working as a busser/porter can pay OK - better than the pay in the kitchen using your foodsafe, as they get tipped out a % from the service staff.

Many jobs never get advertised in every field. Print off a bunch of generic resumes and go walk into every business/restaurant in the area you want to work in and ask if they're hiring/fill out an application form/drop off a resume.

I reeeeally need to get to work on finding myself a better job in this town. :lol: procrastinating a bit as I'm getting a free car soon and can then apply for jobs that interrest me that require one to commute to. Soooooooon..

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm

First of all could you say a bit more about your background (what you're good at, what you're interested in, whether you've had any jobs before, your education etc)? This would enable you to choose a suitable type of job (or for us/others to suggest). If it's still difficult to choose you can try resources like Propsects Planner online.

After you've chosen a job then you can apply (there are many websites out there that show you examples of good applications). If you get through that then the most difficult part will most likely be the interview. Prepare as much as possible but at the very least prepare the standard questions asked at most interviews as well as a few more specific questions relating to the company, and having questions yourself ready to ask them at the end of the interview. Whilst online resources are still useful here, even better is to practice with someone else.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 12:05 am

Also, if you're brand new to Vancouver it would be good to include things like ethnicity and languages spoken. There are many different ethnic communities in little pockets all over Vancouver, or in certain industries. As much as its an illegal hiring practice, people do tend to hire from within their own kind before outsiders, so it may be an advantage to figure out what kind of places to apply to and where if you happen to be a member of any ethnicity that has a large presence around here.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2013, 2:11 am

You could work at a Gamestop where they sell video games. I've worked at 3 different Gamestops in 2 different states, it was always a fun job for me. I would alphabetize all the discs in sleeves in the drawers, and the boxes on the walls, price things, help customers, ring them up.
It's a good job for anyone who loves video games~!