Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 1:57 pm

I identify myself as Jewish. Judaism places more responsibility on the individual person than most religions do. In other words, you are responsible for your life, while God mainly watches over you. In addition, it's the only organized religion in the world that recognizes sex as something to be enjoyed, as opposed to simply being an act of procreation. Most rabbis will quickly annul a marriage in which the wife (or the husband, for that matter) constantly denies sex.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 2:29 pm

I'm a Christian, and I go to a Foursquare denominational church. I've gone to church ever since I was a baby, and I still go today. Eventhough I was a churchgoer all those years prior to when I was 12 years old, I hated to go to church and I couldn't stand it at all. Then when I asked Jesus into my heart, I started liking church a heckavalot better because I could actually understand what was being said because it related to me and my relationship with God. I could tell you my salvation story if anyone wishes (it's about medium long, but not too long; but to me it's interesting). Anyways, I also couldn't imagine what my life would be like without God; I've changed so much these last 5 and a half years of having my relationship with Him. If I ever rejected God, I'd be miserable because I wouldn't know what to believe anymore because I've been through so much spiritually. I'd probably be a liar if I said there was no God.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

DerekD_Goldfish
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2007, 2:37 pm

Brought up Catholic now Atheist

Trisia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jan 2007, 5:21 pm

I am a Christian, but have changed denominations. I love God, and I try to live for him the best I can (but sometimes I fail of course.). I was raised in a non-religious/Catholic household, but it was a very loving environment. So, I am very lucky in that respect. I was a Catholic for a little while, but have since decided that it wasn't for me. I now go to an evangelical free church.
I know many of you have been hurt by the church, however. I just want you to know, I have been there too. Recently, I had to change churches (to the one I am at now) because of a conflict that I had had with the senior pastor of my former church. I won't get into what happened, but most people supported HIM, and didnt' even consider how I was feeling about the situation.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 6:38 pm

Atheist. Always have been.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 6:43 pm

My dad tried to raise me Catholic. We went to church a few times when I was younger, but I think anything can seem believable when you're young. So I believed everything my dad told me. Now I am agnostic.

simon2wright
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2007, 7:02 pm

I was brought up catholic, as I got older I went to baptist, I never could never really understand the trinity so I went to Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints, I met lots of nice people there, but I had problems with some of their teachings, then I became interested in JW's, their teachings work out if you believe that some people will live in heaven and some will live on a new earth, I have also been interested in Wicca as it teaches that we should care for this earth and not to cause harm to anyone, but I never got into spells or anything.
I think being an aspie made me think about and question everything, I have not been to any church much in the last 8 years, I still believe in God and life after death, and in spirits and angels, but I do not follow any religion.
Simon.

korppi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2007, 7:48 pm

I was raised Lutheran, but soon after confirmation school (and actually because of it) I began to question everything, and I quit the church as soon as I was 18.

I could call myself an agnostic or a critical-minded atheist ("I don't think there's any god") as opposed to a dogmatic atheist ("There's no God"). A little hard to define.
But recently I joined a group called Brights. That means people who have naturalistic worldview, not supernatural.

If you just had to define me religion-wise, I guess it would be Zen without the Buddhism.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 7:52 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I identify myself as Jewish. Judaism places more responsibility on the individual person than most religions do. In other words, you are responsible for your life, while God mainly watches over you. In addition, it's the only organized religion in the world that recognizes sex as something to be enjoyed, as opposed to simply being an act of procreation. Most rabbis will quickly annul a marriage in which the wife (or the husband, for that matter) constantly denies sex.

ACTUALLY, PURE christianity is MORE demanding in reasonable ways than Judiasm. Those that don't believe can look at PAULs example. Jesus said "If you love me, you'll follow my comandments". Christianity has simply succumbed to the same pressures Judiasm did. Just go to a reform, or most conservative synagogues to see what I am talking about THERE. Most jews think they are pious if they try to follow the mishna(I believe that is the name) within their morality.

As for Christianity, the pastor and Catholic questions can be summed up in ONE BOOK! TIMOTHY! I don't even think the Catholics kept it. It said in part that a pastor should be happily married and the father of kids because he should treat the church as he treats his family! TODAY, it seems everyone wants to be a priest, and the catholics won't let you be a "father" unless you aren't married! IRONIC!

Steve

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 7:52 pm

LaVey Satanist

I was born a VERY religious household but from an early age I saw 'Wolic Falacis" (That's would it sounded like at 5) And was an atheist untill a few months ago. Then found LaVey Satanism. It's technically atheism but it's Egotheism (You worship yourself as God) In LaVey Satanism giving in to urge encouraged. In Anton LaVey's own words "The Beast in a man should be exercised, not exorcised" Life-Denying religons are futile because they attempt to counter natural and perfectly reponses. (Greed is good, it's the fuel society runs on. Without greed and envy nothing would get done)

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 9:00 pm

Well I am currently agnostic,I recognize the possibility of a higher power but I'm not committing myself to that belief.I used to go to a baptist church but because I thought I could meet people there but then I realized that I was representing myself as a religious person and if I met someone I liked and we had a good time together that it would all be based on falsehoods.

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2007, 9:13 pm

My family is Roman Catholic. However, I never believed in any of that, and follow a Deist outlook on life, with some Wicca and LaVey Satanist views.

IrezumiWarrior
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2007, 10:52 pm

Existentialist and atheist.
Religion is about controlling the citizens. It isn't?
Then, explain why all religions are hierarchical, and why the catholics are organized like the army? If a god truly exists, we wouldn't need priests and preachers telling us what to do and think, we would have a direct line communication with him.

nickdujunco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2007, 7:05 pm

well i'm a catholic and i still am. for one reason or another, i find my faith consoling. my Church teaches that all of us are wounded, weak and in need of help (God, Allah, Buddah, a higher person etc...) but one thing is clear for me, as long as there are people who can help us, and a God (or whoever we believe in) is there, what can go wrong for us. :)

nickdujunco

21 Jan 2007, 7:12 pm

IrezumiWarrior wrote:
Existentialist and atheist.
Religion is about controlling the citizens. It isn't?
Then, explain why all religions are hierarchical, and why the catholics are organized like the army? If a god truly exists, we wouldn't need priests and preachers telling us what to do and think, we would have a direct line communication with him.

please don't get me wrong it is just the way the catholic church works. even in acts of the apostle books, there is a clear heirarchy (the chapter on the circumcission of non-jews aka gentiles) is seen. how they choose the first deacons and of course the cannonical gospels show that the twelve were choosen and one of them acted a leader, peter (fyi peter is greek for rock [petros] so in hebrew it is caiphas also rock). but outside of this context it is a natural movement. take for example a biker gang. if they start out as a group of friends, sooner or later they will choose a leader to lead them. even in a budding labor union or a club.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 7:59 pm

I am a monotheist liberal Catholic.
I'm happy being Catholic but I'm still searching for correct expressions of God and His word, not knowing what God has in store for Aspies like me. I don't question His word but the Bible only talks about the divine side of Jesus & not His human side. That's the only part of God's Word which I really would like to find out more about.