Going on a 6 hour flight with my autistic daughter , help !

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 7:50 pm

stephanie75 wrote:
Noetic wrote:
Does she use earphones/music, tinted glasses/hats etc to self-soothe? I don't get meltdowns as such but have found earphones/an MP3 player with audioplays or music crucial in helping me tolerate public transport.

Also make sure you have an aisle seat so she can get up if she needs to, and take whatever toys (cuddly toys, squeeze toys, sensory toys), books etc that help calm her down on board with you.

It may be useful to contact the airline so cabin staff can inform other passengers if needs be, or take printed cards with you to help explain to passengers what is going on.

Thank you very much for this. She does use headphones to self soothe so I will be sure to bring them along.

I think Noetic had great suggestions, but sedation is still an option alongside, Hell ID TAKE sedation MYSELF last time I went, if I had not been traveling alone. bbrrr!

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 7:56 pm

I would have enjoyed flying as a child, but I reall, and I men REALLY had trouble equalizing my ears, It continued to bother me until I was a diver, where a burst sinus/ear-drum solved that problem for life! ( Its an Ill wind indeed that blows no one any good!). It was one long ear ache for me. Did not make much noise, but did not enjoy.
So remember you could have those issues. I would have prefered the sedatives, LOL

Sincerely,
Matthew

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 9:05 pm

Am I the only autistic person that loves flying?? I am not fond of the wait in airports, but I love watching the scenery as we fly over it.

Anyway, some planes have movies and TV shows to watch for free or purchase. If you set up a movie or a television show would that occupy her for the flight? How severe is she?--Can/does she play cards or do crossword puzzles? If she does play games, bringing a travel size one might keep her occupied. Her own music is definitely a good thing as someone mentioned.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

Matt62 wrote:
I would have enjoyed flying as a child, but I reall, and I men REALLY had trouble equalizing my ears

ME TOO! That is the worse part for me about flying. I take an over-the-counter sinus pill every flight, plus before every flight (layovers, etc) I go into the bathroom and use a nasal spray. All of this is fruitless if I have even the slightest cold. Anyway, I've been close to deaf for hours after some flights (and I have really good hearing). I only had a meltdown on one flight, when I lost my hearing AND it felt like knives were being drilled into my ear drums. Those flights I definitely do NOT enjoy.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

sedation might be a good idea, if your going that route be sure to do a trial run encase of a bad reaction to the medication. next time I fly Im going to be medicated because my last trip was terrible. I had over 4 hours worth of delays sitting on the runway, first flying into ohare the crew that was supposed to taxi the plane never showed so we sat for an hour waiting then I had less than 10 mins to get to my next flight. we then sat on the runway for another 3 hours, they never told us why either.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm

Depending on how functional she is you could perhaps bring along a handheld gaming device (if shes into that), a few books/comics (if she's into that), music ... and a small board game or two.

If you have an ipad or portable dvd player you could also bring along a few movies she hasn't seen... each movie is 2 hours and just watching one would eat up 1/3rd of the flight time.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Matt62 wrote:
I would have enjoyed flying as a child, but I reall, and I men REALLY had trouble equalizing my ears

ME TOO! That is the worse part for me about flying. I take an over-the-counter sinus pill every flight, plus before every flight (layovers, etc) I go into the bathroom and use a nasal spray. All of this is fruitless if I have even the slightest cold. Anyway, I've been close to deaf for hours after some flights (and I have really good hearing). I only had a meltdown on one flight, when I lost my hearing AND it felt like knives were being drilled into my ear drums. Those flights I definitely do NOT enjoy.

Next time take some gum along to chew, I don't know why but thats what my mom gave me and I think it worked. same thing happens driveing through mountions.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

Yeah, chewing or swallowing can help open up the tube that runs from your middle ear to the back of your throat, and keep the pressure equal. It's the same tube that swells closed when you get an ear infection, which is why they hurt so much.

Quote:
Sure, cuz those people are NEVER wrong... They know EVERYTHING about EVERYONE and how all will react to every possible substance in existence...
I'm sensing heavy sarcasm mode, but you have a point: Doctors are not perfect and they can't predict the individual person's response to a particular medication. Even the best doctor in the world can't do that, because human beings are too variable and not everyone will fall into the average range. Most of the time, especially with psychotropic medication, some trial and error is required. Like most people here, I recommend against trying a new anti-anxiety medication for the first time during a plane flight.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:50 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Am I the only autistic person that loves flying?? I am not fond of the wait in airports, but I love watching the scenery as we fly over it.

Anyway, some planes have movies and TV shows to watch for free or purchase. If you set up a movie or a television show would that occupy her for the flight? How severe is she?--Can/does she play cards or do crossword puzzles? If she does play games, bringing a travel size one might keep her occupied. Her own music is definitely a good thing as someone mentioned.

No, airplanes were/are one of my special intrests so I love a good flight! I need very little entertainment however they usually give colouring books that are fun and have games to play, I would gladly play the aspie card if thats what it would take to get a hold of one! maybe a trip to the cockpit too, I got that when I was 5 and loved it! Just putting ideas out there. I have not been to a major airport since 9/11 though so I would hate to see how bad it is in there, i'm sure not very autism friendly so I would use any short cut possible in that reguard.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

I have. It's not that bad, but you do get searched and go through metal detectors and have your baggage X-rayed. Autistics might want to notify the people doing the searching that they are touch-sensitive, because the search might really overwhelm them. A search could be done in a quiet, private location if it was necessary. It's less likely to be necessary if there is no metal on you and you wear just clothes and nothing else, so that nothing sets off the detectors.

Going to the cockpit is, unfortunately, no longer allowed. Sad, but I suppose it's a reasonable trade-off for it being harder for people to hijack the plane.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 11:58 pm

rapidroy wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

No, airplanes were/are one of my special intrests so I love a good flight! I need very little entertainment however they usually give colouring books that are fun and have games to play, I would gladly play the aspie card if thats what it would take to get a hold of one! maybe a trip to the cockpit too, I got that when I was 5 and loved it! Just putting ideas out there. I have not been to a major airport since 9/11 though so I would hate to see how bad it is in there, i'm sure not very autism friendly so I would use any short cut possible in that reguard.

I also got to see the cockpit and see the pilots mid flight because I was restless. its a shame those days are over.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:26 am

Qantas hasn't crashed.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 12:38 am

chris5000 wrote:
rapidroy wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I also got to see the cockpit and see the pilots mid flight because I was restless. its a shame those days are over.
Thats too bad, I got to drive a train once however thats all over too, glad I was born when I was and not a decade later.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 1:32 am

Callista wrote:
. . . Most of the time, especially with psychotropic medication, some trial and error is required. Like most people here, I recommend against trying a new anti-anxiety medication for the first time during a plane flight.

I very much agree! :D Okay, I've struggled with bouts of depression, haven't yet tried antidepressants, but they are kind of my ace in the hole. And what I've read, it is trial and error in a good way. Just that everyone's biochem is a little different. And so, I say embrace the trial and error aspect. And that's what I refer to as the dynamic aspect.

And I think it will help to have a doctor who's an okay listener and is willing to tinker with the medication.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 1:50 am

stephanie75 wrote:
We have to go to a wedding . . .

I understand about social obligation, or at least aspects of it, although there might be other aspects I don't see as well. All the same, your daughter is an adult. She might feel better about the whole thing if she's given a real choice.