Will I ever get a AS diagnosis? (EXTREMELY P*SSED)

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2017, 8:44 am

WHY? WOULD? A SANE PERSON? LIVE? IN? GERMANY? AND GO? TO GERMAN DOCTORS?
Well because I have to lol. :cry:

I got a proper diagnosis of asperger's when I was 21. now 34. My autism doc moved to GB shortly after my diagnosis and she said “go to my collegue dr. X”. so I went to her collegue. he talked to me for 10 minutes and said I have schizophrenia and need antipsychotics. so there we go. he's a doc after all and I'm the most gullible person on earth.
And since then, I tried different doctors and All they say is schizophrenia here schizophrenia there.
It doesn’t bother them that much that I have no hallucinations or delusions. They even ADMIT that I don’t have a history of hallucinations or delusions. So they diagnosed me with undifferentiated schizophrenia. GOOD. But they themselves now see that I’m even less schizophrenic than that so they changed it to simple schizophrenia. And now they say schizotypal personality disorder.

My personal opinion is that they are trying to force me down the schizophrenia rout for whatever reason, and they try their best to ruin my life, partly because Asperger’s doesn’t really exist yet in Germany. My pdoc has 1 patient with Asperger’s and my therapist doesn’t even exactly know what that is.
So basically I’m screwed. And the fact that I’m now addicted to Zyprexa and get bad withdrawal when trying to quit that doesn’t help at all. “You see? You can’t go without Zyprexa, hence you are psychotic” Yeah dipsh*ts you made me take it for 10 years and now I’m addicted to it and it’s your fault stupid piece of sh*t doc.

I have nothing more to say.

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 9:31 am

omid wrote:
WHY? WOULD? A SANE PERSON? LIVE? IN? GERMANY? AND GO? TO GERMAN DOCTORS?
Well because I have to lol. :cry:

I got a proper diagnosis of asperger's when I was 21. now 34. My autism doc moved to GB shortly after my diagnosis and she said “go to my collegue dr. X”. so I went to her collegue. he talked to me for 10 minutes and said I have schizophrenia and need antipsychotics. so there we go. he's a doc after all and I'm the most gullible person on earth.
And since then, I tried different doctors and All they say is schizophrenia here schizophrenia there.
It doesn’t bother them that much that I have no hallucinations or delusions. They even ADMIT that I don’t have a history of hallucinations or delusions. So they diagnosed me with undifferentiated schizophrenia. GOOD. But they themselves now see that I’m even less schizophrenic than that so they changed it to simple schizophrenia. And now they say schizotypal personality disorder.

My personal opinion is that they are trying to force me down the schizophrenia rout for whatever reason, and they try their best to ruin my life, partly because Asperger’s doesn’t really exist yet in Germany. My pdoc has 1 patient with Asperger’s and my therapist doesn’t even exactly know what that is.
So basically I’m screwed. And the fact that I’m now addicted to Zyprexa and get bad withdrawal when trying to quit that doesn’t help at all. “You see? You can’t go without Zyprexa, hence you are psychotic” Yeah dipsh*ts you made me take it for 10 years and now I’m addicted to it and it’s your fault stupid piece of sh*t doc.

I have nothing more to say.

Research, surveys and news reports suggest that something is, indeed, missing in Germany's interest in autism ( http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 1316673977 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/206 ... t=Abstract ). Would Germany recognize a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) from another nation? If so, take a vacation and visit an Austrian or Belgian diagnostician. While I can't determine whether the European Union enjoys laws which would influence international recognition of medical diagnoses, I suspect strongly that they and/or professional associations would. If not, the World Health Organization's ICD-10 diagnostic criteria for ASD ( http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd ... 16/en#/F84 and http://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/ ... F84-/F84.0 ) should do the trick nicely because it is used by many EU nations. If I were you, I would communicate with a few national autism advocacy groups near you, and ask if you could receive an ICD-10 diagnosis of ASD from one of their recommended autism clinics.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 9:57 am

Sadly, health programs are now being run for the benefit of the drug companies. There are still a few people in the system sincerely trying to help, but they are rare and busy.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:06 am

Why is this so common? Aren't psychologists supposed to be helping people?! Hearing about this kind of thing really pisses me off.

Don't psychologists realise the damage it does to tell someone who has had a diagnosis for years that the diagnosis is wrong?! They're basically taking away part of the person's identity.

Changing someone's diagnosis should be a very rare thing, and should require much more evidence than the original diagnosis, and multiple psychologists' opinions, preferably including the one who gave the initial diagnosis if available.

Even then, it should be done with only with extreme care and a ton of support to the impacted patient, because changing of a diagnosis is probably much more traumatic than receiving the initial diagnosis.

A diagnosis certainly shouldn't just be changed at a whim simply because a new psychologist has a different opinion than the old one.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:13 am

^^ Most psychologists are just muddling through. They can't imagine living with the conditions they study, or have empathy for patients. If you should happen to have two conditions, such as AS and PTSD from people's reactions to it, your combination of symptoms fits nothing in the book and so all they have to go on is what worked with the last guy you sort of remind them of.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:14 am

That is awful. I'm in that confusing crossover of ASD / Schizoid / Schizotypal / Schizoaffective symptoms, and haven't gotten a helpful answer on that question either. I react very badly to meds (psychosis etc.), and am grateful I could never take anything long enough to get addicted to it.

I really do feel like we're still in the stone age, in terms of doctors understanding mental illness. And that we're just guinea pigs in their attempt to figure out what works, and what doesn't.

Not that it's the doctors' fault either, for being born in an era where little is known. But I wish they would admit that they don't have all the answers, instead of blaming us for our problems.

I wish I had more helpful advice in terms of finding a better doctor, and dealing with the medication issue. But I just wanted to say I hear you, and hope things get better from here.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:25 am

Ashariel wrote:
Not that it's the doctors' fault either, for being born in an era where little is known. But I wish they would admit that they don't have all the answers, instead of blaming us for our problems.

To a certain degree, I agree with you in that, as you say, little is known.

But in this case, it it looks like the OP's diagnosis was changed by a new psychologist based on a single visit without even doing a new assessment. This shouldn't be allowed to happen. It should *NOT* be easier to change/remove a diagnosis than to give one.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:28 am

I don't think PhD's are allowed to say "I don't know." The best help I ever got was from someone who didn't really feel qualified, but was willing to work with me to figure things out.
For most of our lives, an ASD diagnosis was unavailable, so mother taught me to avoid any diagnosis. This is a skill more of us could still use. Don't be hypnotized by those white coats and posh offices.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:44 am

[Edited for stupidity and pointless ranting... Sorry!]

Last edited by Ashariel on 19 Dec 2017, 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:49 am

Dear_one wrote:
I don't think PhD's are allowed to say "I don't know." The best help I ever got was from someone who didn't really feel qualified, but was willing to work with me to figure things out.
For most of our lives, an ASD diagnosis was unavailable, so mother taught me to avoid any diagnosis. This is a skill more of us could still use. Don't be hypnotized by those white coats and posh offices.

While it was written in a bit of fancy, another WP topic once described how an autism clinic or researcher suggested that the employment of autists to assist in the diagnosis of other autists might be a valid idea. I agree that too many clinicians haven't got the skills to know everything about every diagnosis. But, autists are quite good at spotting other autists, and why. It would be fascinating to try the theory.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 11:07 am

Zyprexa is the worst possible drug to put you on. No doubt you have experienced massive weight gain as it is the strongest appetite stimulant known to man. You have the right to not take any medication you want as a patient. Tell them to wean you off, don't ask, rather order them to. I wouldn't trust a word that comes out of a doctor's mouth who prescribes Zyprexa, as even if you were psychotic there is simply no justification to use that poison piece of s**t drug over the many alternatives that don't cause morbid obesity and diabetes type II.

I've encountered the same bs , schizoid, schzioaffective before I finally met doctors who specialize in adults with autism who twice diagnosed me on the autism spectrum and removed those schizo diagnoses from my medical files.

Don't just go see any old Jo Blow doctor, you need to see one who specifically specializes in assessing adults with ASD, otherwise chances are you will encounter a doctor or psychatrist who doesn't know jack s**t about ASD like the ones you have already encountered so far.

kod87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2017, 1:29 pm

Can I ask you a few questions OP?

What were you given Zyprexa for? What symptoms was it given to you for? What were the reasons the docs gave you this medication? What symptoms are the doctors confusing for schizophrenia that are actually AS?

Because unless you were very psychotic, this medication is completely inapropriate.

I am very sorry to hear about your problems with doctors. It must be very frustrating, as others have said you may need to find a centre (maybe in a different country) that will actually give you a proper assessment.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2017, 1:52 pm

I used to be diagnosed with schizophrenia too.
I just keep on finding good doctors (in different countries) to help me.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Dec 2017, 2:16 pm

Holy sh!t, I would be you if it weren't for dr W.! And I believe my cousin is just like you, with autism mistaken for schizophrenia and no way out :(
Dr W. didn't diagnose me with ASD either, he didn't believe it, but at least he questioned the diagnose of schizophrenia, changing it to psychotic depression and anxiety and he gradually discontinued Risperidon that had been making a suffering vegetable of me. On my own request he left quetiapine because it helps me with insomnia, and he prescribes escitalopram, which I don't know if I need but I function well on the mix.
Holy cow, maybe you should pursue your first doctor to UK?
It is really hard to remove the label of schizophrenia, everything you say can be used against you - that's what I've learned from my expirience :(

PS - autistic shutdown looks fairly like schizophrenia from the outside. Only in schiz. the overwhelming stimuli are generated by your own brain, while in ASD shutdown your brain gets overwhelmed by the real stimuli.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 2:25 pm

I had a GF with schizophrenia and I noticed that her mother would always say things to her in an ambiguous way. Usually, you can guess what a long-time companion means. However, whichever meaning my friend would choose, her mother would then always contradict her. Even a 50% failure rate would have been suspect. For some reason, she seemed to favour her son instead.

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 10:28 am

kod87 wrote:
Can I ask you a few questions OP?

What were you given Zyprexa for? What symptoms was it given to you for? What were the reasons the docs gave you this medication? What symptoms are the doctors confusing for schizophrenia that are actually AS?

Because unless you were very psychotic, this medication is completely inapropriate.

I am very sorry to hear about your problems with doctors. It must be very frustrating, as others have said you may need to find a centre (maybe in a different country) that will actually give you a proper assessment.

1.They thought I have Bipolar (and I thought that myself too, hell maybe I'm bipolar) and they gave me everything because I kept complaining and at some point they tried Zyprexa. The schizo diagnosis was then eventually fully confirmed by several docs WHILE I WAS ON THE ZYPREXA, which doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, how can I not have schizophrenia without any antipsychotics and ostensibly be psychotic on a large dose of Zyprexa, which I started to take for (supposed) bipolar to begin with?

2. The main symptom is derealizatin. The feeling of everything seeming unreal. I also once said to docs that I've invented s**t and want to get them patented and they now think I'm a crazy person who has the delusion that he is an inventor. I also get "cognitively exhausted" easily by minor stress and then I'm very much useless and need to lay down. those are my symptoms, along with severe social and general anxiety and not so severe depression.

3. I'm a very disabled person and I'm simply too stupid and incapable of going to a different city let alone country for diagnosis. I have Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (major headaches), Fibromyalgia and other stuff.
Oh guess what: They ignore the IIH too. My pressure is 28, which is high by ANY F**ING STANDARD, and they say I'm searching for somatic reasons for my psychoplogical disturbance and that's my problem.
Conclusion: I'm dead and this is hell.

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)