Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

What makes eye contact easier? (Please vote for four options)
It's easier when the person has dark (eg. brown) eyes than light (eg. blue) eyes. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
It's NOT easier when the person has dark (eg. brown) eyes than light (eg. blue) eyes. 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
It's easier when the person is wearing glasses. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
It's NOT easier when the person is wearing glasses. 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
It's easier when the person is wearing sunglasses. 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
It's NOT easier when the person is wearing sunglasses. 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
It's easier when *I* am wearing sunglasses. 28%  28%  [ 11 ]
It's NOT easier when *I* am wearing sunglasses. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 40

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 10:53 pm

Eye contact is never easy, but I've noticed that there are certain conditions that make it less difficult:
-I find it less difficult when the person I'm looking at has dark eyes.
-I find it less difficult when the person I'm look at is wearing glasses.
-I find it less difficult when I'm wearing sunglasses.
-I find it much less difficult (but still not easy) when the person I'm looking at is wearing sunglasses.

How about other people?

Last edited by SplendidSnail on 20 Dec 2017, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 11:00 pm

Haha I agree with the dark eyes and glasses bit.

Unless the glasses have an odd flash .

Honestly light eyes feel like they can see into my soul and it’s a strange feeling. Also they are so interesting.
I start noting the details like the multiple colours, pattern (the wavy lines or whatever it’s calked), shape

Sorry for spamming the forum btw whoever is here,
My kids are finally sleeping and I’m dying for ‘conversation’

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 7:07 am

None of the above. I look at eyebrows, noses and cheekbones until I feel safe with someone. It is the "first acquaintance" intensity that gives us the feeling of an alien presence.

Seff
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2017, 7:11 am

Dear_one wrote:
None of the above. I look at eyebrows, noses and cheekbones until I feel safe with someone. It is the "first acquaintance" intensity that gives us the feeling of an alien presence.

I think I read it when I was younger, but I focus on the bridge of the nose between the eyes a lot of the time.
I find it helps because your not actually making eye contact, but to the other person it seems like you are.

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 8:03 am

When you're in love.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 9:53 am

Dear_one wrote:

Yeah, as I mentioned, eye contact is never easy; even with all of these things, it's still something that all of us struggle with.

I just have noticed that I struggle a bit less when the things I mentioned are the case.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 10:09 am

SplendidSnail wrote:

I just have noticed that I struggle a bit less when the things I mentioned are the case.

When I wear sunglasses is the only thing that makes things easier ( I'd wear them all the time if I could but I think that would just attract more attention ).

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 11:16 am

SaveFerris wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

When I wear sunglasses is the only thing that makes things easier ( I'd wear them all the time if I could but I think that would just attract more attention ).

My aunt took up Niqab and mentioned the ease of communication for her, when she wears it, because she doesn’t have to worry about her facial expressions. Of course it must be really tough if it garners angry attention.
I do think she has Asperger’s

Edited to add- I mention this in case PART of the trouble with eye contact is our own worries about how we will be received (facial expressions, holding gaze too long or not enough) which make it hard to concentrate on the speaker’s words then (because we are worried)
So what I mean is my aunt inadvertently ‘eliminated’ the perception aspect—
and found she communicated better. Might be a contributing factor anyway.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 11:34 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:

My aunt took up Niqab and mentioned the ease of communication for her, when she wears it, because she doesn’t have to worry about her facial expressions. Of course it must be really tough if it garners angry attention.
I do think she has Asperger’s

I'm not sure covering my face would help with with my eye contact issues but if it works for your aunt that's great , I would need a Niqab and sunglasses although as I live in a small town a 6 foot 2 dude in a Niqab and sunglasses is going to make me stick out a little bit more than usual :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard