Does interaction on WP have any impact offline?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Does WP interaction impact your offline interaction(s)?
Poll ended at 05 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm
Yes. I gain more confidence/experence with interactions here 32%  32%  [ 20 ]
Yes, but not in a good way 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
What WP Interaction? 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
No. WP and offline are seperate worlds 23%  23%  [ 14 ]
No. I don't have much offline interaction to use as a reference 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
I just stopped by for the stim cola (Other/please explain) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Look at the time! (Don't understand) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I heard there was ice cream 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 62

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

A question that I've been thinking about lately....does interaction here on WP have any impact on your interactions offline, either with Aspies or NTs?

I was wondering about the benefits of the discussions and activism on this board, and I was curious what other people thought. As always, I give credit to Alex and the moderators for the hard work and dedication they have shown to WP.

I guess I'll start. I think I have benefited from communication and interactions here on WP. I'm not sure how much additional benefit I would get from here, but I think it's important to be part of the community.

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2013, 2:37 pm

It's likely that people could benefit from interacting like this. I wouldn't know if using WP will be beneficial to me - I haven't been here long enough to really judge - but I know that using other forms of online communication, mainly Steam group chats, greatly helped me with understanding both other people and myself. I had far worse issues with relating to people before I saw people's motivations laid out in plain text. I can imagine that WP would have a similar effect.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:39 pm

I don't think I gain much at all from posting, I only gain from reading these boards as it gives me insight into autism and the things I experience. As far as learning how to interact I don't think it helps me much.

I think I am helping people when I post so that is all that matters.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:40 pm

I met my girlfriend here; so I'd say HELL YES.

Author/Writer

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:44 pm

I think I gain a lot by being on WP. I have learned a lot from other posters and the links they provide to information and sites. There is also a lot of intelligent discussion to enjoy. There seems to be something for everyone here.

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2013, 2:51 pm

My upbringing still has me believing I am the only person crazy like this in the world.

The month I have been on this forum has been the only place I have ever seen that my family was incorrect.

This has had effects in the way I post in special interest forums, most of which I have had to leave in past years due to my fraidy cat nature and poor communication.
I am more confident in my ability to monitor myself, believing the input is a game changer.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm

Wrong Planet is what you make of it. I personally just use it for posting my thoughts on topics relevant to me and seeking advice if necessary, but if you make an effort to befriend someone, or get to know a group of people, it could potentially improve your confidence in real life.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

I find posting thoughts here helps me organize myself, and helps me with reflection and focus during the day. It also helps to find comparable stories to gauge myself against, because I always feel like I'm over or underreacting to different things.

Minim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2013, 4:15 pm

I don't really hang around here much to notice much of a difference. I find quite a bit of it interesting but I don't have time, I want to do other things, etc. But it is very nice to know that there are lots of others out there who are a bit like me. :D

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

WP has helped me see the landscape, but hasn't help me navigate it.

I know have a frame of reference for comparison between me nt's and other aspies.

Aside from that nothing has changed.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

Minim wrote:
I don't really hang around here much to notice much of a difference. I find quite a bit of it interesting but I don't have time, I want to do other things, etc. But it is very nice to know that there are lots of others out there who are a bit like me. :D

WP does fulfill that purpose for many people.

There's also the issue that for many Aspies, WP is the best available source of interaction, and this site does it's part to reduce the social isolation imposed on many of our members.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

06 Mar 2013, 9:44 pm

You know how much I like ice cream...

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm

I think my real life interactions affect my online WP postings as when things and situations happen to me in real life I ask here if anyone has had the same experiences and difficulties and how they dealt with it-I try to make the situaion as general as I can to not identify the others involved and not put gender on it so I can get a wide range of responses-of course it has been critcized at times.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 11:51 pm

I really appreciate that I can read about experiences that others have had that are as odd as some of mine. It helps me own who I am and to stand up for myself when I need to. Or at least to forgive myself when I fall short.

Where else can I say things like 'sometimes I hallucinate', 'I think I can tell if it's going to rain by looking at trees', 'I have a super memory', 'I have been eating the same breakfast for 19 years', 'I get upset when I am invited to weddings'.... without feeling judged or dismissed as a self-absorbed nut?

One negative is that some of the people here have hurt me by misunderstanding what I was saying, thereby misunderstanding my intentions. But it is OK, they have issues too, and I am prepared to forgive them.
When the same thing happens in my life, I am less inclined to forgive, because people sometimes seem to be uncaring or too busy proving a point to actually listen to what I am saying. Maybe I have developed a bit of a bias, but whatever. I have felt victimized in my life for being different, but now I see things a bit differently, and I will be myself more, whether anyone else likes it or not.
So there. :evil:

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 12:33 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
I think my real life interactions affect my online WP postings as when things and situations happen to me in real life I ask here if anyone has had the same experiences and difficulties and how they dealt with it-I try to make the situaion as general as I can to not identify the others involved and not put gender on it so I can get a wide range of responses-of course it has been critcized at times.

One of the advantages of such a diverse collection of posters is that we do get many different viewpoints.

Of course, the cultural and language differences are guarenteed to give us many different viewpoints, which often leads to some confusion and/or distress.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

It impacts my interactions but not in a good way. People often say things on here that upset me, so it makes me sad and my sadness has a negative impact on the way that I interact with people in the real world.