Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

How do your special interests interact with your routines?
For me I need routine to to keep me balanced when I am out of my routine I fall apart and am completely lost. I have special interests which threaten to derail me from my routine everyday. It's like if I have free time I know I should do the things on my routine but often get sucked into special interest stuff for hours. I have more luck sticking to routine when I have a checklist of things to tick off then I feel great. Using special interest as a reward for completing my checklist is hard to direct. Does Anyone else have these problems???

sapphireblue
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

yes I do, it's the story of my life... exactly as you describe. I get upset with myself about it a lot. It's worse because I have kids and I feel guilty abt being a bad example but still needing to teach them to keep routines and priorities straight. It's difficult to get them to do so when they don't see anything different. :oops:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 1:38 am

^Guilty^

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 4:21 am

samesies :lol:

I think it's extremely common amongst us.

Oh man, I can only imagine how much one of my ultimate favourite special interests may get in the way of some things again in the near future.. as it's weather dependant, as soon as the weather conditions are right I can foresee myself dropping whatever I was supposed to be doing/routine stuff and heading off to have some fun. Controlling that is going to be very very difficult once I have a car back on the road again and I have the ability to head out whenever I please.

EverythingShimmers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2013, 4:28 am

It's a constant war between my tremendously detailed and strict routines and systems on one side, and my special interest on the other side.

I have a document that dictates what I should be doing at every hour of every day. Right now I should be asleep. I should have been asleep for an hour and a half.

What happened? I was reading about AS and related medical conditions. (I've been doing it for nearly 8 hours... oh boy. I have a problem.)

Free time is a vortex.

Azureth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2013, 4:46 am

I have a routine: I always have a cig when I go to get a new soda can. Like I'll go get the soda can, open it, put it on the counter then once done smoking I'll come back inside grab the can and bring it back to the computer desk.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 10:17 am

I have to work interests into my routine, so I'm not completely derailed. It's not easy because I get so lost in what I'm doing, but having some kind of audio alert pulls me out of it and keeps me from neglecting everything else I need to do.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2013, 8:34 pm

Yep. I go through this too.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 8:47 pm

My routines are not very rigid. I more so have procedures of how to do.certain tasks (including special interest) when I perform them but I think I am slightly desensitized to changes. Changes on procedure though drive me nuts!