can a person go from aspie to non-aspie??

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 5:36 pm

I dont think so. Let me ask Mario hey Mario is it possible to become an NT if your an aspie? [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp55goEW82c[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm

^ :lol:

It's called successfully finding out how to treat their AS & successfully learning coping mechanisms so that they can function higher and better in life and society - but they still have the condition; that'll never change.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:04 pm

What is meant by "the spectrum"?
Is it personalities lined up from average extravert to very introvert? Or is it degrees of classical autistic traits from avarage NT with a twist to severe autists?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Anyone with autism/aspergers/hfa/lfa whatever - just a broad catch all phrase for the entire autistic spectrum from extremely low functioning severely autistic non verbal people to very high functioning and difficult to notice the subtle autistic traits of some Aspies. We're all on the spectrum somewhere along the line.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 6:13 pm

Thanks. I like your balanced answers :)

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

minervx wrote:
I feel I'm not really an Aspie, but not really 100% Nuerotypical either, but I do feel like I lean ,overall, more to the side of non-Aspie.

do you think a person can go from aspie to non-aspie?

I think Yes and No.. I posted a thread called: "Are You Bi? (both AS and NT)" about something similar to this.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt225571.html

I am someone who was undiagnosed for my whole life until now. When i was a child and teenager, i didn't know if i had any kind of "problem", i just assumed i was "different" (in a negative way) and that i needed to drastically change myself. So i trained myself, conditioned myself to perform "normal social behavior" as naturally as possible. I thought i could replace my self-hated behavior, and create an improved better me. I was a junior high school student at that time.

So i forced myself to be more outgoing, more friendly, more extroverted, to beat the "normal people" at their game.. To out-NT the NTs.. aggressively fought my natural instinct to be reclusive and anti-social.. This was a slow "trial and error" process, stressful experience for several years. But i was very determined to be "normal". The result was, eventually, i successfully became "normal". In fact i was even more popular, had more friends, had more "funky adventures" than the "normal" people, and some even asked my advice on how to be more sociable, the irony :lol: ..So i thought the old self was gone? .. Well, the truth was, it was never replaced, but still very much alive. Sometimes it pops up, and i swing back "in and out" various periods or phases of AS and NT behavior..

So i think YES and NO.. "Yes" you can definitely become non-aspie, but it is a conditioned and constructed personality.. The original aspie personality you were born with is not totally erased, it is just covered up or suppressed.. You basically end up with 2 personalities.

Is this a problem? Actually, i do not think so.. I really enjoy, admire and love my constructed NT persona and the rewards it has brought me, but i also realize my ASD persona is still there too, which definitely causes problems and stress.. I must, somehow, respect both of them.. My next challenge of my life is learn how to balance these two extremes, to reconcile and live smoothly between these 2 personalities.. I am still trying to perfect this process.. Its a continuing adventure.. :wink:

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2013, 10:52 pm

My son was a handful sometimes in public places at the age of 5. Like many people at his school predicted, he would outgrow his behaviors very slowly. He is still easily recognizable as autistic. Still, he is much easier to manage.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.