Waking up feeling like a different person?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

I sometimes wake up and feel like a different person. It feels like the world is "colored differently" and my interests and normal mood change. I sometimes feel happier when this happens, but most of the time I just feel weird. This usually happens after weird and long dreams. It's like I've turned into the person who was dreaming.
Is there a name for this?

Last edited by DevilKisses on 28 Mar 2014, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2014, 12:54 pm

interesting. i don't know the answer to your question. however i have read about the notion of "identity states" which are posited as something we all experience, under the illusion of having a single cohesive identity. it might be that you are more aware of the shift than others. i have not had this experience, but my sense of self definitely varies by mood (and so do my abilities including memory).

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:12 pm

No. I usually just wake up depressed.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Me too. I usually wake up depressed and extremely sluggish.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Me too. I usually wake up depressed and extremely sluggish.

It takes a few short seconds, and then suddenly all the reasons why I am depressed hits me, as though they are all new to me. I mostly only get it on work mornings, even though I don't exactly hate my job. Sometimes I get it on days off too, especially if I have a big day ahead of spending it all on my own and having no friends to see...

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I sometimes wake up and feel like a different person. It feels like the world is "colored differently" and my interests and normal mood change. I sometimes feel happier when this happens, but most of the time I just feel weird. This usually happens after weird and long dreams. It's like I've turned into the person who was dreaming.
Is there a name for this?

There may be a name for it, but it doesn't come to mind offhand, though I'm quite familiar with the phenomenon. In dreams, sometimes I am myself, sometimes another character, sometimes I switch from one to the other, then sometimes I am a detached observer, watching the scene from above, as though floating up by the ceiling.

I've awakened from dreams depressed, sometimes euphoric, depending on what was happening in the dream - I have woken myself by laughing out loud, weeping, and one or twice, screaming in terror. I am fascinated by dreams and have wished for years that someone could invent a machine that could record them as I slept, so I could watch them like movies when I woke up.

Like HP Lovecraft, I sometimes suspect the dream world may simply be an alternate reality, or another dimension, every bit as actual as the waking one, but responding to different laws of physics. If so, perhaps that world IS the real one, and this one the imaginary. 8O

I'm joking, of course, it's all imaginary. :lol: