Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Buggins
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

Hey there. Got an assignment next week - sooner than I expected - and it kind of freaks me out. Not the fact that I could be diagnosed, but I feel kind of odd going to a "shrink" in the first place.

Anyone here with similar experiences and ideas how to deal with the situation?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

Breathe.

Seriously, take a deep breath, hold it for a few seconds, and let it out slowly.

Most "shrinks" - just like most other professionals - are nothing to be afraid of.

He or she will likely ask you a few questions to get you started, and ask you now and then to elaborate on something or to ask you how you feel about what you said. This will likely take place in a quiet room with few distractions and subdued lighting. Once the first session is over, you will likely wonder where the time went, and want to continue speaking.

After a few sessions, you may actually begin to look forward to the next one.

This is how it was for me, and I have no regrets or bad memories.

I hope you will feel the same way.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

Yes... I just went through this same thing... I tried forever (over a year) to get a referral for a diagnosis... then the referral went through and the office called and said... be here Friday (it was Monday)... and I was like omg that soon? The lady on the phone was like... yeah.. what did you expect.. and I tried to make a joke (fell flat) about how usually you have to wait months for an appointment.

I went through a ton of anxiety... on that same day I got called for a job interview... Can you be here by 2? I thought I was gonna pass out :)

Then when all was said and done.. yeah I felt stressed and a bit weird.. but I found I was able to talk to this lady easier than my normal GP... and the testing that followed the next week... well... that was something in itself.. but still was kinda cool to do.. even if most of it rocked me to my core (I felt super dumb with a lot of it and very nervous)... Now am waiting now for the results.. that has been way harder than any of it. I am sure you will do fine :) My anxiety over it all was much worse than anything that took place.. so try not to worry :))

I am sure you will do great... I hope you share your results :)

Sending you my best!