Grinning like an idiot at inappropriate moments...

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 10:19 am

Anyone else do this because you're having wicked thoughts about the person that has just moved into your presence?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

I do this all the time and freak people out with it. Although almost never for the reason you stated. Usually I do it just because I'm nervous (I smile when nervous sometimes) or I'm thinking about something that has nothing to do with the person in front of me (daydreaming) but I end up looking at said person inadvertently because they're just there.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 12:48 pm

I have smiled or laughed at funny images in my head and someone would take offense to it because of what the topic was about. I also used to offend my teachers in 7th grade for laughing and smiling and they thought I wasn't taking them seriously. I laugh at myself sometimes because I get embarrassed or am shocked at my own actions and they misread it thinking I was taking it all as a joke. People have to get used to me and then they quit misreading me. :P

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 1:41 pm

A couple of weeks ago we were watching "Lincoln" and my 13 years-old Aspie daughter started laughing at the scene where Lincoln's younger child reacts to his father's death. We were extremely annoyed, but more than annoyed we were concerned because it was a very sad moment and she reacted in a very innapropriate way... like she had no feelings whatsoever. Her father told her so, she started fighting back, and it ended in a huge fight. These situations are very sensitive.

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

I smile when afraid or being hurt. Not really sure how I picked this up, possibly it helped when I was being abused as a young person.

After getting older it got me attacked or hurt worse. Not something under my control or I would not do it anymore.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:34 pm

I may smile after I embarrassed myself, or so I think. It embarrasses me even further and I have to be more careful to behave myself. People tend to misunderstand it quite often.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:44 pm

Tequila wrote:
Anyone else do this because you're having wicked thoughts about the person that has just moved into your presence?

wicked as in sexual?

My deviant art profile

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

I laugh or smile as a involuntary reaction to being nervous or stressed. I'll often laugh during an argument, which makes the other person angrier, or when I'm disciplining my son, which makes him think I'm kidding. I really have no way of stopping it. The only thing I can do is walk away until I stop.

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2013, 4:36 pm

I often exhibit a wicked grinning smile due to my understanding of the context of the situation I find myself or others in.
It's a bit mischievous but mostly a good natured one. In a way it's my method of showing my comprehension with a light hearted approach.
People who know me understand it rather well and when it's accompanied with a twinkle in my eyes they usually brace themselves for my rather twisted sense of humor.
I picked it up from the Cheshire Cat and am never letting it go.
After all only the insane equate pain with success.
Cheers.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

Tori0326 wrote:
I laugh or smile as a involuntary reaction to being nervous or stressed. I'll often laugh during an argument, which makes the other person angrier, or when I'm disciplining my son, which makes him think I'm kidding. I really have no way of stopping it. The only thing I can do is walk away until I stop.

I used to have this problem when in worked in daycare. Once I told this kid not to run down the hall ,"don't run", and the kid started running even faster,super fast down the hall and for some reason I laughed at this-I still don't quite know why- and I went in front of him to stop him and said 'no running in the hallways , it's not safe" only I was laughing while saying it and the kid started laughing. The other girl I was working with just started at me probably wondering what the f*** was wrong with me.

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2013, 4:46 pm

I do this a lot, but usually because I'm thinking about something completely different. It's always slightly embarrassing when I'm caught as it's hard to explain that I was thinking of something else.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 5:20 pm

Wicked thoughts? Nah, I don't think so. I did catch myself grinning somewhat like this late last night while chatting with a couple of friends when I noticed one of my friends' uniquely AS traits is similar to one of mine (which is quite common) & it just made me smile to catch yet another uniquely AS thing about him that we have in common, further solidifying that I knew he too is AS & that the reason we're as good of friends as we are is due to shared special interests and exchanging information about them along with other non-AS things, of course. I made sure not to make a big deal out of the trait, but did make a comment or two about it to gauge his reaction to it, and then became more conscious of my smiling and made sure not to overdo that and have him or the other friend ask what I was grinning about.. but when the grin came on in response to my observation it was as if by reflex and I had no choice in the matter.

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

Only when I don't understand a word they just said.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 7:00 pm

I don't have anything in terms of any thought putting into it when grinning inappropriately, it just happens at the wrong time. Like a sudden laugh at bad news, experiencing or witnessing someone in pain, like fall or something. I also have grinned and holding back excitment at funerals... :?

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 7:13 pm

Not grinning, or "like an idiot". But sometimes i am usually "somewhere else" with my thoughts and have acted inappropriately in situations because of my situation-detached thoughts. Unfortunately, there is no off switch on the thought process...

If it happens often, the best thing to do is to get a friend take mental notes of you and have them report back your behaviour to you. That is why i only surround myself with open minded people who dare to speak up and tell the truth to me, because its hard to walk around with a mirror 24/7.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

Tori0326 wrote:
I laugh or smile as a involuntary reaction to being nervous or stressed.

Same thing here. When I'm among other people, I'm usually nervous and stressed, but because I smile, they think I'm happy. Could be worse.