Does anyone not particularly care for music?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

19 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

I really don't. Not that I dislike it, but I don't think it does much for me either way. I've tried to get into certain things, but nothing really sticks much.

I wonder if this is an NLD thing, or if it's common on all parts of the autism spectrum (not sure if I actually have something in addition to NLD or not, just that I don't have traditional Asperger's since I have NLD severe enough not to enjoy much geeky stuff -- and probably better social skills on the outside).

If the appreciation of music and art is found in the right hemisphere, it would make perfect sense. However, I have heard that music comes from the left hemisphere -- the one where I'm supposedly strong. But could this be a difference between performance of music (left hemisphere) and appreciation of the emotional aspects of music (a right hemisphere activity maybe?)?

One small correction, sometimes I'll like a particular song, once in a great while. Then, I'll just want to play that song multiple times. I can't just listen to music normally like normal people. It's boring and distracting.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:17 am

I guess it'd be hard for a musician like me to hate music. (Disclaimer: I'm in the band below).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fnezdn6Diw[/youtube]

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:21 am

For most of my life I haven't been overly into music and would prefer to be online in silence vs. having the distraction of music. Sometimes I listen to the radio while online now, but over the last year I've taken to listening to the radio almost constantly - especially while out of the house. I don't tend to turn it up very loud at all, except for a few select songs I really like and want to hear a bit louder, but just leave it pretty low & I find it calming in that it blocks out background noise. I have a greater appreciation for music's ability to do this for me vs. being a true music fan that must sit and listen to albums. Once in a blue moon I do just sit and listen to music of varying types, but not very often at all.

So, your tastes could change. You might go through a very musical period, followed by a period of virtual silence, then perhaps a different type of appreciation for music like the one I've developed. You never know. Things change, interests change, life changes etc.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 1:35 am

If you were into music, Austin is a really good place for music with plenty of live venues. There aren't many better places for music.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 2:01 am

eric76 wrote:
If you were into music, Austin is a really good place for music with plenty of live venues. There aren't many better places for music.
'

Yep, one reason to get out of here. In the dating and friendship pool, it's harder to find anyone with similar interests since people tend to move here for the Austin culture. I moved here for my full ride scholarship at the University of Texas School of Law.

This city is a pretty right-brain-friendly city in just about every way, which makes it NLD-unfriendly.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 2:21 am

My father, because tone deaf.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 2:34 am

Got to add: I'm also about to ditch the health food culture and switch to a diet primarily based on rice, beans, meat, wheat (maybe?), fish, bananas, and a few vegetables thoroughly cooked. Maybe dairy too. Unsure. Why? This city is also unfriendly to those with NLD possibly linked with salicylic acid intolerance who have to eat a traditional northern European diet free of raw vegetables and most fruits.

So just about everything about this city rubs me wrong: music culture, traffic, lack of public transportation, art, health food/vegan culture, the dominance of the tech industry, the gender ratio, college sports. lol

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 3:19 am

Can you hear that music? Oh no, wait, that's not music.. that's UBC's Law School still singing it's siren song for Tyri0n. :lol:

raptor16
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2013, 3:50 am

I feel exactly the same you feel about music. I don't listen to music regularly. I rarely listen to it. I feel I could live a full without music and I won't even care if music disappeared today. I think music is just a distraction, for the most part, so i dont listen to music at all when I need to think including conversations.

I also do the thing with songs. I will just replay the same song over and over again whereas otherpeople have playlists.

I think that one of the reasons I don't care for music or listen to music is because it doesn't stimulate or activate some areas of the brain (possible the brain reward system) or amygdala, so I don't have emotions associated with it.

It could also be that some people (especially those with ASDs) don't have as great of a filter as others, so music comes to their brain as a noise and disrupts their thought process. I know this applies for me.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 6:14 am

I tend to listen to it a lot.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yU04Hr5E6Q[/youtube]

Author/Writer

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 7:23 am

The only time I occasionally listen to music is while I'm driving. I've never downloaded any MP3s either, and I very rarely buy any new CDs. The music I sometimes listen to while driving is either on the radio or on CDs that I've owned for years. So I'm obviously not much of a music fan. Besides the best rap music came out way back in the 90s when I was a teenager. lol

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 7:47 am

Well, I've never had a talent for playing music. I've never researched music or learned a lot about it.I think I'm less musically inclined than most people I know IRL and most people on this site. Still, when I hear music I like it makes me very happy and I feel the need to find it online and to listen to this same music for weeks (a few songs) and get attached to those songs. Music can also calm me and be a trigger for me to daydream and get lost in fantasy. ( I also use it to block out other noise sometimes).So I do appreciate music and have a need for it but my tastes are simple. I like what I like because I like it and some of the songs I love are children's folk songs (Strolling through the Park One Day, Waltzing Matilda, In the Light of the Silvery Moon ect). I can never discuss music with others and connect with them that way though. I don't know of a single other person with my tastes and like I said I'm not knowledgeable about music.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:57 am

I used to be completely unaffected by music when I was younger. It's not that I simply didn't like it. I felt absolutely nothing when listening to it. I didn't understand why people liked it so much.

When we are young we are still growing and changing. I really believe that our brains change just as significantly as our bodies do as we go through childhood, puberty, and adolescence.

At some point when I was younger I was in the mall with someone who had volunteered to take me on outings. I can't remember how old I was. I think I was between the ages of 10 and 12 years old. My experience with music up until that point was that I didn't feel anything. I had heard music before and it did nothing for me. Suddenly a song started playing on the intercom. It was the first song that ever had any impact on me. It was melodic and I can't remember sure but I don't think it had any lyrics. If it had lyrics I only remember the melody.

As I got older I could feel music more and more. I love it now. I didn't care for it at all in my early years. I never responded to it. I do now.

I believe that there was a neurological reason I didn't respond to music. I also believe that there was a similar reason I couldn't smell. I believe that my brain grew and changed with my body in certain ways. I experienced a neurological change that allowed me to experience music as well as another change that gave me the ability to smell things.

When you say you'll like a particular song once in a while it doesn't sound like you are unable to experience music like I was. I'm not sure if it's the same thing.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

I'm the same with the OP about music. Maybe one in 1000 songs (just estimate) hits me. Then I just listen to it repeatedly. Also, because in many places such as at work and in people's cars, unwanted music is often imposed on me, I became conditioned to dislike music in general. Music = noise = torture because of people's selfish attitude.

You don't drive? I'm kind of into healthy food. I still do eat junk food as well. I'm not capable of appreciating art.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:41 am

Tyri0n wrote:
I really don't. Not that I dislike it, but I don't think it does much for me either way. I've tried to get into certain things, but nothing really sticks much.

I wonder if this is an NLD thing, or if it's common on all parts of the autism spectrum (not sure if I actually have something in addition to NLD or not, just that I don't have traditional Asperger's since I have NLD severe enough not to enjoy much geeky stuff -- and probably better social skills on the outside).

If the appreciation of music and art is found in the right hemisphere, it would make perfect sense. However, I have heard that music comes from the left hemisphere -- the one where I'm supposedly strong. But could this be a difference between performance of music (left hemisphere) and appreciation of the emotional aspects of music (a right hemisphere activity maybe?)?

One small correction, sometimes I'll like a particular song, once in a great while. Then, I'll just want to play that song multiple times. I can't just listen to music normally like normal people. It's boring and distracting.

Autism is actually more associated with the right brain than it is with the left brain. The left brain is associated with linguistic processing, while the right brain is associated with spacial processing. I don't know how that factors in to anything, but there that is.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/y8AWFf7EAc4?t=1m27s[/youtube]

At 1:27

Anyway, I love music, but I didn't use to, but that was mainly due to not hearing enough good music.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:

Autism is actually more associated with the right brain than it is with the left brain. The left brain is associated with linguistic processing, while the right brain is associated with spacial processing. I don't know how that factors in to anything, but there that is.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/y8AWFf7EAc4?t=1m27s[/youtube]

At 1:27

Anyway, I love music, but I didn't use to, but that was mainly due to not hearing enough good music.

Another thing I despise about the current autism fad. The stereotyping.

No it isn't, necessarily.

I really think that the DSM should split Asperger's up into several sub-types with different names to avoid confusion and stereotyping.

1. Autistic/severely impaired subtype

2. Quantitative/Geek Subtype

3. NLD sub-type

4. Hyper-sensory subtype

5. Asperger's -- NOS.

I belong solidly in the NLD subtype which means my linguistic processing is excellent but everything in my right brain is whacked out and dysfunctional. I learned to speak Mandarin semi-fluently in 6 months and learned to read 90% of the characters within a year but couldn't for the life of me ever figure out how to write them.

My visual-spatial skills belong in the 10th percentile of the population, or at least they did, before I started taking unregulated cognitive stimulants and doing exercises for it. lol