Aspergers and developmental delay - possible?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 6:04 am

I have a friend whose son was born with a rare chromosome disorder, which means that part of one of his chromosomes is missing. This generally means that he has some physical and learning disabilities. (I met his father through a Facebook page for people and relatives of those with an eye condition his son and I have)

I am also friends with his mum and I remember her having a rant about how she has one son (him) who wants routine and how the baby doesn't do routine. That and a few other things left me to wonder if he's Autistic; but I didn't say anything.

They have a page on Facebook regarding their son's issues and update it, explaining how their visits to his consultants have gone.

On Monday, he posted that their son's sensory teacher (he has dual sense loss and has a support teacher for this) thinks he has Aspergers. But how can someone have Aspergers if they're developmentally delayed? I know that some of his speech being delayed (although it's now normal for his age) is because of his hearing.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 6:18 am

Isn't Aspergers/ASD a PDD? (Pervasive Developmental Disability)

So, wouldn't it be relatively common that there's some degree of developmental delay?

Heck, speech is delayed in many Autistics.

Or are you trying to split hairs between Asperger's & ASD or Classic Autism?

I thought that's part of what the new DSM-V was supposed to clarify by putting everything together as ASD vs. trying to differentiate between AS and Autism via a few small differences in potential traits. Granted, there are still going to be higher & lower functioning people on the spectrum.. but is that what you're getting at? That it might be Autism but can't be Asperger's?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:10 am

Technically, he'd probably be considered autistic rather than AS. Not that it matters anyway, since that division is going to be removed.

Just out of curiosity, what chromosome disorder does he have? (Chromosomes disorders are an intense interest of mine.)

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:34 am

Ettina wrote:
Technically, he'd probably be considered autistic rather than AS. Not that it matters anyway, since that division is going to be removed.

Just out of curiosity, what chromosome disorder does he have? (Chromosomes disorders are an intense interest of mine.)

18q- syndrome. (18q deletion syndrome)

Is it changing for the UK, or is it just the US where DSM is used?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 9:09 am

Maybe they diagnosed Asperger's because his developmental delay is no more than could otherwise be explained by his chromosomal disorder; whatever's left over looks more like Asperger's than classic autism.

Most people diagnosed with Asperger's had some developmental delay; I had problems with self-care and executive functioning, and my first diagnosis was Asperger's. Technically, that should exclude from Asperger's diagnosis, but many doctors will diagnose Asperger's anyway because of its connotation as a "milder" variant of autism. The whole diagnostic category system is pretty messed up as it is, but the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders in general is pretty reliable. It's just when they try to pin specific labels on you that things don't really work too well.

If the Asperger's label works for the kid, then I figure no harm done. It's close enough. You can't very well diagnose somebody with "An autism spectrum disorder that matches the criteria for classic autism but only because he has another disorder that provides some of the extra symptoms, but which would look a lot like Asperger's if it weren't for the other disorder"... Many doctors will just throw up their hands and say PDD-NOS at that point.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:38 am

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Is it changing for the UK, or is it just the US where DSM is used?
The ICD-10 is used in the UK. So the changes to the DSM won't immediately affect us, but might filter through in time.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:42 am

Quote:

Interesting. This study suggests that about 43% of kids with that deletion are on the autistic spectrum.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Isn't Aspergers/ASD a PDD? (Pervasive Developmental Disability)

So, wouldn't it be relatively common that there's some degree of developmental delay?

Heck, speech is delayed in many Autistics.

Or are you trying to split hairs between Asperger's & ASD or Classic Autism?

I thought that's part of what the new DSM-V was supposed to clarify by putting everything together as ASD vs. trying to differentiate between AS and Autism via a few small differences in potential traits. Granted, there are still going to be higher & lower functioning people on the spectrum.. but is that what you're getting at? That it might be Autism but can't be Asperger's?

The problem is stupid "Politically Correct" speech. Apparently now you are supposed to refer to retardation as "developmental disability", which is how it's being used here. Mental Retardation out-rules Aspergers except in rare exceptions.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:34 pm

I had a developmental delay. It was mostly because of my hearing. I have an apsie friend too who also was because of his hearing too and my husband also was because of his brain damage. He did everything slowly such as walking and potty training, learning to read and write.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 6:13 am

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. This study suggests that about 43% of kids with that deletion are on the autistic spectrum.

Interesting, thanks.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 7:51 am

I've had mild motor skills delay and moderate self-help skills delay as a child. I still have issues with self-help skills.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 7:18 pm

Now that is the most reason why medical professionals decided to lump Asperger's Syndrome, PDD-NOS and profund Developmental Disorders that can have eligibility for Autism Support was grouped as Autism Spectrum Disorder ( because Asperger's Syndrome is also a Developmental Disorder and uneducated or rude people keeps asking stupid questions like if it is "Possible to have Asperger's Syndrome and a developmental delay", just because Asperger's Syndrome is mild to the point where it looks like Broad Autism Phenotype )