Shuffle all 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Shuffle one artist or album 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Random, new, or all songs (or no preference) 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 39

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2013, 7:36 pm

I'm asking this out of curiousity because I've seen a lot of things on music... but not this one exactly. How do you prefer to listen to music? Do you like to play one song constantly, an album constantly, or do you prefer to use shuffle or listen normally? I thought I'd start this just to get an idea...

Personally, I'll listen to one song repeatedly on some days, while on others (and this can even span a few weeks in some cases), I'll listen to the same album repeatedly. Very rarely have I used shuffle, and listening to songs straight is not fun. :) But anyway, that's where my vote would be at, just so you all know.

What's your preference? :)

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

I sometimes listen to one album at a time in the care just because there is a CD player but I actually prefer to listen to a random assortment of songs.

Listening to the same album for three or four songs in a row is fine if I like the artist but after that point it gets boring very quickly no matter how much I like the artist.

I can get much more long-lasting enjoyment from variety. It's great when the songs reflect my mood too. I guess I'm not very consistent in my preference for variety or indulgence.

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

I answered shuffle all because it is the closest option for me. I listen to music I've downloaded through iTunes on my iPad the most. Some music unavailable on iTunes I watch/listen to on YouTube. On YouTube, I rarely watch/listen to a complete song, I usually think of another song to look for, so a lot of going from video to video.

I listen to music on my iPod at the gym on shuffle. Though, I often can't find a song that sounds good when I am on the treadmill so I hit forward a lot looking for the right song.

Lately, when I find a brand new song I like I listen to it over and over. I listen to the radio when driving, though the best station doesn't always come in crystal clear. I don't do complete albums anymore from beginning to end since my cd's are in storage, and I don't really miss them.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:25 pm

I couldn't vote because my preference isn't one of the choices. I listen to one album in its entirety then move on to the next album.

ibookfan92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2013, 8:41 pm

I'm sorry... I'll see if I can expand the options a bit! :)

Edit: I clicked the 'edit' button on my post, but I'm not sure how to add more options or if I can. If not, maybe this could be the last option? If I do find a way, I'll see what I can do...

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

No "all of the above"?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

I used to be into albums back in the seventies during the heyday of 'album rock'.

But even before I started computer playlists I got into making compilation cassettes or cd's- various artists on one 'killer blues' tape, or "killer jazz-that-rocks" tape, or 'killer techno" tape.

I get into savoring different artists within a genre.

Do much the same with computer playlists on my desk top now.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:23 am

One song on repeat over and over and over again (often hundreds of times) until I find a new song and do the same with that one.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 12:27 am

For me it depends. I have listened to the same album over and over and then I have listened to the same song over and over but not for hours of course because I then switch to another song I wanna listen to over and over. I have used shuffle before and listened to different albums using shuffle.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2013, 1:28 am

On my iPod, I prefer to shuffle all especially when I'm working out at the gym, or on a drive that would last longer than a single CD would, and I don't feel like listening to the radio. When I listen to a CD, I listen to the entire thing once, then switch to another CD.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 2:16 am

None of the above. I haven't really ever gotten into downloading music. I do listen to music quite a lot these days, but not like this. I prefer my favourite local radio station, and every once in a while I might listen to a different station - but very rarely. Over the last ~year I've been listening to the same station pretty well aaaallll the time, especially while out, taking the train, running, working out etc. I love the station and the music genre as it's been very... calming. I call it the happy hippy station. It's been awesome at reducing anxiety from loud busy background noise.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2013, 2:41 am

Repeat Video Game soundtracks over and over.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:05 am

i'm an old geezer who listens to CDs that i prepare from varied sources, in "theme" albums. i listen to those mostly over a stereo system with speakers equidistant from the listening position, just like lots of folk used to do before the days of MP3s.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:16 am

I'm only 30 but I have a record player plugged into a shelf stereo for speakers & a variety of vinyl from the beatles to MGMT's Oracular Spectacular. Every once in a while I'll put an album on and spin it, crank the volume and fill the whole house.. sometimes AC/DC, sometimes CCR. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:28 am

i spend way too much time digitally repairing/restoring old LPs.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
i spend way too much time digitally repairing/restoring old LPs.

I remembered reading that in the expensive special interests thread, that's why I mentioned the records. I play them on a $50 record I bought at some guy's house who was selling players and tons of albums out of a room in his basement via craigslist a few Summers ago. Most of the records have come from thrift stores etc for 50 cents to a dollar or two, and the MGMT album is the only new vinyl I've ever bought. There are some I wouldn't mind having, though, like some Tool albums that have split-grooves so they'll play back one of two different tracks etc.