do you enjoy being around other aspies

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

i enjoy being around other aspies because everyone is telling me to remember the 'social cues' that my therapist taught me so sociallzing with a NT is very confusing, however with another aspie, i know they wont pick up on the social cue anyways so i dont have to remember my social cues and just get to talk about our intrests together

i just got back from hanging out with my aspergers friend, who is a boy, and i had a great time.do you enjoy being around other aspies?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 7:22 pm

I think that's great!! I also enjoy hanging around other Aspies, but to be honest have only hung around two and I've since fallen out of touch with them. We didn't have to worry about all the "overhead" either :)

However, I would recommend sharing tips on social cues with your fellow Aspie during your interactions, even a bit of role-playing couldn't hurt! It's like two people learning Russian and then trying to have a simple "how's it going" conversation or something like that, it helps for interaction with NTs.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 7:30 pm

This could be a poll question.

Yes, I enjoy being around other Aspies.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 7:33 pm

Yes I do -I dont have to put on an act and we all are on the same playing field and there more understanding-most are though you still run into one or two that may act above others but not often.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2013, 7:36 pm

Many Aspies do pick up on social cues. Just not as much as NTs.
Also, some will have taught themselves/been taught to use them (because of this they could subconsciously always use what they have been taught), and look out for social cues, so the conversation could be even more clumsy than normal, because there's this Aspie who doesn't use non-verbal cues, and another using broken/odd non-verbal cues.

I have never come across an Aspie who doesn't use them at-least a bit, and I've met many.

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2013, 8:39 pm

I actually like hanging out with anyone on the autism spectrum. I'm officially diagnosed Asperger's but I have a mostly non-verbal classically autistic friend from college and I understand her better than the NTs in my class. We used to joke about how we were the two "normal" people in the class and everyone else was weird 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 8:55 pm

I enjoy hanging out with others who are on the spectrum. They don't worry about the little details that NTs do.

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

I have never met another autistic in person, so I have no idea. From everyone else's responses though, I believe I would enjoy it. I plan on attending Texas A&M this year, I believe there are autistic people there.

"Therefore, let every one that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come." Jonathan Edwards

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

I don't know. I guess it depended upon if the aspie forced me to listen to a monologue about a special interest that I wasn't interested in, or if I was interested I think I would get really frustrated if I couldn't interrupt to ask any questions. I think it could be equivalent to Chinese water torture to me LOL

However, if we discussed topics I loved and could learn about then HellsYea, bring it on! :D

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

I am not officially diagnosed with an ASD but one of the reasons I come here is because I find these forums (and many of the people on them) more interesting than NT forums.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

I would like to meet one because I've never had anyone on the spectrum around as far as I know. It must be comfortable to spend time with them.

I sometimes wonder if some people around me could be on the spectrum. For example, there's a woman at work who is rude and avoids eye contact with people. If she turns out to be on the spectrum, I would be very badly disappointed.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

Implying I hangout with anyone..
Implying I ever leave my room.. :lol:

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

Not normally. Most of the Aspies I know have behavior issues or are just are boring to talk to. The only ones I enjoy being around are Aspies that share my special interests or have special interests that I want to learn more about.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:35 pm

I definitely do. But I get annoyed when people try to conform to social rules that go against my way of thinking and processing the world. Small talk and social niceties are not necessarily NT things; people on the spectrum can get pushed into them and start doing these things, too. And not all NTs do it. Some NTs, specifically more introverted ones, hate doing these things and find me a relief to talk to because I don't fake anything about myself or try to be socially acceptable and can just delve into interesting topics that they also enjoy.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

22 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i enjoy being around other aspies because everyone is telling me to remember the 'social cues' that my therapist taught me so sociallzing with a NT is very confusing, however with another aspie, i know they wont pick up on the social cue anyways so i dont have to remember my social cues and just get to talk about our intrests together

i just got back from hanging out with my aspergers friend, who is a boy, and i had a great time.do you enjoy being around other aspies?

Of the opposite gender, yes. The same gender typically just annoys me. It's sometimes the opposite with NT's. I think aspie men and NT women are the most likely to annoy me in my opinion while NT men and aspie women are likely just fine.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2013, 10:56 pm

Have not met another autistic person since diagnosis. Did briefly work at a grocery store with an autistic man many years ago. I... liked him, i think, but I remember not being able to understand why exactly at the time. Part of it, thinking back now, was that he didn't try to make eye contact with me in the way NT people do. When my eyes happened to be looking at his eyes, he was looking at my left shoulder, or something off in the distance, or whatever it was. When my eyes happen to run across the eyes of an NT, their eyes are almost invariably looking directly back at me. It was easier, or... let;s say maybe less stressful, to talk to him, in part because of that.

This was of course long before I had any idea I was also autistic. I don't know about now. Maybe i would like to meet another aspie? just to see, maybe, if socializing with them might be comfortable for me? Ordinarily I do not socialize at all. I am essentially reclusive outside of mandatory work-related social contact.