Page 10 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 5:02 pm

I was and am extremely into what is know as "Classic Alternative" today. In the late '70's and the '80's in America there was nothing classic about it, it was considered weird and LBGT and kind of unamerican to be into it. In the 90's "Alternative Rock" often was mainstream rock.

What is weird is my favorite music is from my 20 something years, not the typical teen years.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:28 pm

One of my favorite unusual songs is Peggy Lee's "Siamese Cat Song."

"We are Siamese, if you please! We are Siamese, if you don't please..."

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2017, 10:38 pm

IstominFan wrote:
One of my favorite unusual songs is Peggy Lee's "Siamese Cat Song."

"We are Siamese, if you please! We are Siamese, if you don't please..."

I remember that from the Aristocats! I loved that film when I was a kid.

As regards the question, I think people on the spectrum have a particular preference for a certain "sound". This is by no means restrictive- this may span across many genres. For instance, I love early analogue synths and therefore enjoy listening to both 70s pop/rock and early experimental music/musique concrete from the 50s and early 60s. I also have a preference for strong polyphonic hooks.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:29 am

I think that song is from "Lady and the Tramp." Si and Am gave Siamese cats an unfair reputation for being mean, which they weren't at all, just naughty. There is a big difference!

Zoranus
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jan 2017, 11:27 am

I think it's a maybe.

Like I can listen to anything. But I choose to listen to soundtracks, classical, orchestral pieces. Maybe it's because I just can't piece together what they're saying in lyrics or rap very well.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm

I personally feel that my auditory sensitivity , as part of my Asperger syndrome does impact my tastes in music to an extent . Both what I especially like and also what I don't particularly care for . For instance , I do due to its obnoxious monotony , I do not much care for techno/ electronic dance music , as it tends to get on my nerves before too long . . And even though I actually like the next genre , speed metal , I also find it to be well named as it sounds so intense that it's like a musical stimulant drug . For example . So I have to take an intermission before my nerves get too strained , and during the songs I tend to feel jittery . As a consequence of this though my tastes are largely eclectic , I mostly tend to seek out acoustic pop /folk rock songs that are next thing to being country , yet are not quite considered to be . For some examples , , . And on top of that , I also more specifically am fond of Celtic pop , and Celtic rock . For example , and .

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2017, 2:44 pm

muffinhead wrote:
Being 20 and liking shoegaze kind of sucks lol. I haven't met anyone my age who likes it, let alone knows what it is.

There is a pretty huge resurgence of shoegaze at the moment, lots of newer bands are co-opting the original sound and incorporating other musical textures in to it.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I think that song is from "Lady and the Tramp." Si and Am gave Siamese cats an unfair reputation for being mean, which they weren't at all, just naughty. There is a big difference!

Ah yes, I stand corrected.

I like Siamese cats, particularly black-pointed ones.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 7:08 pm

voidofcontext wrote:
muffinhead wrote:
Being 20 and liking shoegaze kind of sucks lol. I haven't met anyone my age who likes it, let alone knows what it is.

There is a pretty huge resurgence of shoegaze at the moment, lots of newer bands are co-opting the original sound and incorporating other musical textures in to it.

Yeah, I've kind of noticed. Nothing quite as xciting as the original scene, though, IMO.

bowtruckle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm

I think if you're already alienated from society it's more likely that you'll explore different music types than the mainstream.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

bowtruckle wrote:
I think if you're already alienated from society it's more likely that you'll explore different music types than the mainstream.

That is so true. Is it a cause and effect, like aspergers causing the alienation which causes the music taste, or is the music taste inherent in aspergers? I think it's the former.

MontyAA2003
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

I mostly listen to underground stuff. As a Utahn, that doesn't say much because here Panic! At The Disco is technically underground. So I should say, I don't listen to what everybody else already does. There's a handful of other kids here that like the same stuff I do, and even then, none of them know Bad Omens, which is my favorite band.

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2017, 2:05 am

I listen to kpop. Its niche and not exactly mainstream so I don't exactly go around telling people I listen to it.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:35 am

I go from Blondie to Tupac to Burzum whenever I put all my music on random, I like music that speaks to me don't care what genre it is.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:17 pm

This sounds really weird, but I have a tape of the national anthems of various countries. This interest goes along with my interest in different countries.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2017, 4:06 pm

i just listen to my own music & not the music that NT's listen to :D :D :D :D :D :heart: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)