Page 6 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:01 am

I find that most people don't really like music. They think they do, but they don't. They often just like a certain type of music.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, but there are a few types that I can't stand at all -- notably rap/hip hop and anything related to it. Consequently, I'm not sure that I can be said to "like music".

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 12:46 pm

eric76 wrote:
I find that most people don't really like music. They think they do, but they don't. They often just like a certain type of music.

I listen to a very wide variety of music, but there are a few types that I can't stand at all -- notably rap/hip hop and anything related to it. Consequently, I'm not sure that I can be said to "like music".

Well, I am a bona-fide music snob with the decades of musical training to earn that title. I also listen to an extremely wide amount of music from all time periods and across the world. I certainly CAN say that I "like music", even though I do not like certain types. :wink:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 11:52 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
I don't know about "weird", but I do find that I'm frequently drawn to overtly complex music, such as progressive rock, math rock, etc., stuff with lots of time changes, key changes, unconventional structure, etc. I find I get enveloped in it much more than typical 4/4 pop/rock music and I often love deconstructing lengthy songs and figuring out how they're structured.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Before there was the autism explanation there was New Wave to show me that my weirdness and fun could be compatible

It should be noted that New Wave pioneers (and overall geniuses) David Byrne (Talking Heads) and Gary Numan are both diagnosed with Asperger's, yet their music was not as overtly "weird" as Devo or The B-52s. David Byrne had a really awkward, jerky stage presence and made a lot of strange yelping noises in his music, whereas Gary Numan was more quiet and withdrawn.

Numan's wife, a clinician who has a Aspie brother spotted the traits, He did an online test http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/books/review/david-byrnes-how-music-works.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 http://archive.bebo.com/BlogView.jsp?Me ... 3959484999http://hub.contactmusic.com/news/numan-convinced-he-has-aspergers_1060637

As for David Bryne
http://www.davidbyrne.com/archive/here_ ... ardian.php
"For three years, Byrne has been keeping a journal on his website, by turns revealing and thought-provoking, always with more questions than answers. "I was a peculiar young man," he wrote last April. "Borderline Asperger's, I guess."

"I'd only heard of Asperger's a few years ago," Byrne says now, "when a group out of Stanford proposed a spectrum that goes from autism to Asperger's to sort-of-good-at-math. I thought, 'Wow, I see a lot of myself in that.' Not that I was good at math, but I could be very focused on certain projects, and painfully shy - although I'd get up on stage, and then be incredibly shy the minute I stepped off.

"And it fits that at some point, after a couple of decades, it wears off." :roll: I thought that the bits of therapy I've had, and making an effort to be more social, really paid off, but it could just be that it wears off by itself"

Bolding mine and rolling eyes mine.

The above pretty much speaks for itself. But he and they helped me and other "different" people a lot at the time and that is what reaaly matters. n

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

I like spacy sounding music. My taste in music has been shaped by the fact that ever since I was young, I've felt like I'm from space.

I've also listened to Stars Of The Lid's Artificial Pine Arch Song everyday for about the past 5 years.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 5:14 pm

Hmm...I thought Numan and Byrne had both been diagnosed. I'd like to strongly believe that Byrne definitely has some form of it; if you've ever watched him in interviews, his traits and mannerisms and tones are very Aspie-like. Namely, they're almost identical to mine...in fact, the whole reason I discovered Talking Heads was because a teacher once said I reminded them of David Byrne in the "Once in a Lifetime" video. I would be more surprised if he didn't have some touch of AS.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 6:55 pm

I've listened to the same song at least twice a day (sometimes much more) for the last 5 years - Stars Of The Lid's - Artificial Pine Arch Song!

Never missed a day! That's Aspie!

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2015, 7:45 pm

Don't think there is such a thing as a weird taste in music. Different genre's appeal to different people and at different times. Currently I am listening to a CD of Gregorian chant in Latin by the Benedictine Nuns of Notre-Dame in Avignon, France. Very relaxing. Later I might listen to a compilation of Leonard Cohen, Cat Stephens, Roy Orbison and others that I burnt to a CD for my own use.

Dependant upon how I feel (mood) could stick some Handel (Watermusic) or Ravel (Bolero) in the player. Or switch totally to early Joan Baez and Dylan on vinyl as the mood takes me.

Specific music I do enjoy would have to include Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah, The Partisan, That's no way to say Goodbye and Bird on a Wire. Cat Stephens - Father and Son, Moonshadow, Morning has Broken and How can I tell you. The Animals - House of the Rising Sun. Roy Orbison - Only the Lonely, Love Hurts.

Suggest a significant determinant of the quality of a piece of music is the Test of Time. If it can still be heard in ten, twenty, thirty years time, or even a few centuries then it's probably good. Whereas if it's forgotten in weeks or months of being written/played, then it's probably not worth listening to in the first place. But that's just my opinion.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 7:50 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I've listened to the same song at least twice a day (sometimes much more) for the last 5 years - Stars Of The Lid's - Artificial Pine Arch Song!

I kinda have a similar thing where I'll listen to one song about 20 times in a single day everyday for about a week. If that's not Aspie, I don't know what is.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2015, 9:07 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:

Damn that's impressive

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:41 am

Feyokien wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

Damn that's impressive

Thank you :)

Listen to it on YouTube. I'm sure you'll like it!

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:45 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

Damn that's impressive

Listen to it on YouTube. I'm sure you'll like it!

I will right now

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 12:53 am

Shameless plug:
cberg's weird music thread

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:03 am

.....beautiful.....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:10 am

music reproduced on a full-bore theatrical Wurlitzer pipe organ with all the toy counter fxs going.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 1:16 am

Feyokien wrote:
.....beautiful.....

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 2:03 pm

Big fan of pop music here. I get enough music that I like and enjoy through the mainstream channels. The current Top 40 is filled with songs that I like (though there are a couple that I can't stand), and attempts to explore more 'alternative' channels hasn't led me to finding more bands or artists -percentually speaking- that I find more engaging than the mainstream stuff. I suspect that my brain isn't sophisticated enough to notice those subtleties.