Page 10 of 11 [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Do you think Asperger's affects music taste?
yes 61%  61%  [ 119 ]
no 39%  39%  [ 75 ]
Total votes : 194

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2017, 2:44 pm

muffinhead wrote:
Being 20 and liking shoegaze kind of sucks lol. I haven't met anyone my age who likes it, let alone knows what it is.

There is a pretty huge resurgence of shoegaze at the moment, lots of newer bands are co-opting the original sound and incorporating other musical textures in to it.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 4:56 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I think that song is from "Lady and the Tramp." Si and Am gave Siamese cats an unfair reputation for being mean, which they weren't at all, just naughty. There is a big difference!

Ah yes, I stand corrected.

I like Siamese cats, particularly black-pointed ones.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 7:08 pm

voidofcontext wrote:
muffinhead wrote:
Being 20 and liking shoegaze kind of sucks lol. I haven't met anyone my age who likes it, let alone knows what it is.

There is a pretty huge resurgence of shoegaze at the moment, lots of newer bands are co-opting the original sound and incorporating other musical textures in to it.

Yeah, I've kind of noticed. Nothing quite as xciting as the original scene, though, IMO.

bowtruckle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2017, 10:51 pm

I think if you're already alienated from society it's more likely that you'll explore different music types than the mainstream.

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

bowtruckle wrote:
I think if you're already alienated from society it's more likely that you'll explore different music types than the mainstream.

That is so true. Is it a cause and effect, like aspergers causing the alienation which causes the music taste, or is the music taste inherent in aspergers? I think it's the former.

MontyAA2003
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

I mostly listen to underground stuff. As a Utahn, that doesn't say much because here Panic! At The Disco is technically underground. So I should say, I don't listen to what everybody else already does. There's a handful of other kids here that like the same stuff I do, and even then, none of them know Bad Omens, which is my favorite band.

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2017, 2:05 am

I listen to kpop. Its niche and not exactly mainstream so I don't exactly go around telling people I listen to it.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:35 am

I go from Blondie to Tupac to Burzum whenever I put all my music on random, I like music that speaks to me don't care what genre it is.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:17 pm

This sounds really weird, but I have a tape of the national anthems of various countries. This interest goes along with my interest in different countries.

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2017, 4:06 pm

i just listen to my own music & not the music that NT's listen to :D :D :D :D :D :heart: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

Since when is not listening to mainstream music considered weird?

I listen to a variety of genres, I like bleak and depressive stuff like doom or black or gothic metal or post-punk. I also like atmospheric and psychedelic stuff very much, e.g. post-rock. I love electric guitars and I also like stuff that is neither dark nor atmospheric, but more danceable and uplifting like Franz Ferdinand or The Strokes (even though they're clearly influenced by post-punk riffs, so maybe there's a connection?). I like electronic stuff if it's melodic/psychedelic/atmospheric (I don't like really monotonous music like minimal). I also like some mainstream music, mainly the electronic type with female voices.... sometimes I just want some catchy tunes.
So, mostly, it comes down to rock music somehow. I love genre-bending bands like Oceansize.

May favorite band is Radiohead, I guess that's both very mainstream (as they are really successful) and a bit anti-mainstream at the same time :D

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2017, 5:22 pm

syndragon wrote:
Its hard to define odd. Odd depends on the person and if he had listened to it before.

But as an Aspie I only know ONE person that knows some of the stuff that I listen to, and he is a music teacher. So..
And that also make me a lonely person, cuz where I live there is no club,bar or whichever place that plays what I listen to.

You know any of these?

Philip Glass
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Godspeed you! Black emperor
Labirinto

and lots more

I know Godspeed you! Black emperor and Aphex Twin. I often heard about Autechre and Philip Glass but never actually listened to them. Never head of Labirinto, though.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 11:54 pm

I prefer metal, which I suppose is considered "weird" for a woman, particularly one who is small and timid. Not what people would expect of me at all, if they don't know me well. I don't like most pop music simply because that's all I heard at college, and now at work (retail), so I'm just really tired of it. I don't think my musical preferences really have anything to do with my Asperger's, although one of my obsessions is the band Tool.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2017, 6:11 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I prefer metal, which I suppose is considered "weird" for a woman, particularly one who is small and timid. Not what people would expect of me at all, if they don't know me well. I don't like most pop music simply because that's all I heard at college, and now at work (retail), so I'm just really tired of it. I don't think my musical preferences really have anything to do with my Asperger's, although one of my obsessions is the band Tool.

Tool are really outstanding, I wish they would do a tour in Europe :/ Last time they did, I didn't know them yet.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

anti_gone, I feel you there. I discovered Tool a year after they had a concert in my area. That's probably the only concert I'd think would be worth the severe sensory issues I'd have with the noise.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"