Theory:The percentage of autistic savants is higher than 10%

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

Although 10% does seem fairly considerable it must be taken into account that the autistic mind, so enigmatic and intricate, can never be solved by the NT and even the Aspie. Usually the savants that are reported gain fame and recognition in a narrow ability, which are confined to music, arithmetic, calendar calculation, art, memory, visual spatial skills and math. If such is true then although some of these abilities can be observed there is indeed those abilities which require intensive scrutiny and although present are very difficult to detect in the mute autistic savant. For all we know the severely autistic child mute and non verbal can be seeing the 4th dimension, but due to lack o verbal ability can't explain such phenomena. For all we know such autistics in institutions perceive things that exist but would be unbelievable to the neurotypical. How do we know what goes on in autistic person's mind? One might argue that there are famous autistic people who verbalize their perceptions, but caution must be made for not all autistics are alike meaning the differences in perception in 2 people on the autism spectrum can be marginalized. Is there a way to detect the full potential of an autistic person and unlock it in the compatible environment without having to "normalize" or institutionalize them and deprive them of what can be valuable information that we do not consciously process?

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

salad wrote:
...in a narrow ability, which are confined to music, arithmetic, calendar calculation, art, memory, visual spatial skills and math...

My teacher called me a writing savant on Friday, so I believe your limits are invalid.

Author/Writer

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 3:54 pm

I sometimes see more mathematically or logically than I can verbalize. I've struggled with mathematical proofs because, although I could see how one thing leads to another, I couldn't verbalize it. It's like I wasn't thinking in English or any other language that people use!

Heck, there's things in the universe that there AREN'T words for in the English language! Probably ANY language, for that matter.

So I can definitely see how many severely autistic people (who cannot speak) could have savant skills.

AQ: 33

salad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

Zodai wrote:
salad wrote:
...in a narrow ability, which are confined to music, arithmetic, calendar calculation, art, memory, visual spatial skills and math...

My teacher called me a writing savant on Friday, so I believe your limits are invalid.

Thank you for the correction, however I would caution on taking hyperbole compliments literally. Also based on my. Research of savant syndrome the above talents were the confined domain. Writing is a talent and skill a gifted, prodigy or genius would excel in. There is clearly difference between savant syndrome and genius ness, gifted ness and being a prodigy

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:18 pm

Calendar Calculation is not a savant skill, anyone can do it :?

My memory, arithmetic and spacial skills are pretty top notch.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2013, 9:27 pm

Theories are hypotheses that have been tested and verified.

Hypotheses are ideas that are testable.

Ideas are opinions that have not been tested.

@Salad: Is your idea testable?

salad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 12:58 am

uwmonkdm wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude, but that is quite an ignorant comment. Anyone can calendar calculate, yes, but can everyone memorize every day of their life, the weather and day like Orlando Serrel who gained such a savant ability via head injury? Anyone can do arithmetic, but can everyone multiply 5 digit numbers instantly like savant Daniel Tammet? I hate it when I try to explain savants to people and they remark " oh, I have good memory," or "I'm smart" thus so and so must be a savant. Savants aren't defined as gifted or geniuses, but rather savants possess extraordinary ability in contrast to their disability and exceptional right hemisphere dominance in bias towards details. Savant skills are narrow and comprise of more rote than meaning. The savant skills are intuitive and require no conscious effort, so that alone refutes your argument of calendar calculation not be particularly exclusive to savants.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 1:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Theories are hypotheses that have been tested and verified.

Hypotheses are ideas that are testable.

Ideas are opinions that have not been tested.

@Salad: Is your idea testable?

Sorry for my incorrect utilization and distinguishing between theory and hypothesis. My claim is in fact a hypothesis, that, due to limited research and technology, can't be accurately tested. However it's only a matter of time before it can be.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 1:07 am

salad wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:

I don't mean to sound rude, but that is quite an ignorant comment. Anyone can calendar calculate, yes, but can everyone memorize every day of their life, the weather and day like Orlando Serrel who gained such a savant ability via head injury? Anyone can do arithmetic, but can everyone multiply 5 digit numbers instantly like savant Daniel Tammet? I hate it when I try to explain savants to people and they remark " oh, I have good memory," or "I'm smart" thus so and so must be a savant. Savants aren't defined as gifted or geniuses, but rather savants possess extraordinary ability in contrast to their disability and exceptional right hemisphere dominance in bias towards details. Savant skills are narrow and comprise of more rote than meaning. The savant skills are intuitive and require no conscious effort, so that alone refutes your argument of calendar calculation not be particularly exclusive to savants.

You don't mean to sound rude? Mission failed.

Quote:
can everyone memorize every day of their life, the weather and day like Orlando Serrel who gained such a savant ability via head injury?

That's not "calendar calculation" ...

My comment only said "Anyone can do calendar calculation"
Your response:
Quote:
Anyone can calendar calculate, yes

Ignorant indeed.

I never said I was a savant, I'm well aware I am not.
Thanks for the unnecessary explanation.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 2:13 am

uwmonkdm wrote:
salad wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:

Quote:
can everyone memorize every day of their life, the weather and day like Orlando Serrel who gained such a savant ability via head injury?

Your response:
Quote:

Ignorant indeed.

You should clarify better to avoid misunderstanding. Mission failed

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 2:30 am

salad wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:
salad wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:

Quote:

Your response:
Quote:

Ignorant indeed.

There was nothing unclear about my first post.
Calendar Calculation is a simple trick anyone can learn, and I have good a memory, spatial skills, and arithmetic skills... what's confusing?

Just calm down, it was a simple post and I said nothing aggressive.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 7:30 am

uwmonkdm wrote:
salad wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:
salad wrote:
uwmonkdm wrote:

Quote:

Your response:
Quote:

Ignorant indeed.

There was nothing unclear about my first post.
Calendar Calculation is a simple trick anyone can learn, and I have good a memory, spatial skills, and arithmetic skills... what's confusing?

Just calm down, it was a simple post and I said nothing aggressive.

. If you look at the context of sentence I mentioned arithmetic and art, which anyone can do. Obviously I was referring to savant skills in these areas