Another "Does anyone do this?" thread, this time f

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

12 Jan 2007, 3:35 pm

And no, not "Does anyone walk?". I mean something you do when walking.

I've found that if I'm walking, I set a particular 'mission' of sorts (although not in a CIA sense) that I have to do in relation to the surface I'm walking on. For example, if I'm walking on cobblestones, I'll think "I want to have the front of my shoe land on a cobblestone, no crossing the lines", and if I'm walking on a footpath after it's been raining I'll try and get my feet on as much dry or wet pavement as possible while maintaining a relatively straight line. I remember as a kid I used to have fun stepping on other people's shadows. One way of stomping on someone's head and not getting charged for assualt!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 3:46 pm

I do that sometimes.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 4:55 pm

KBABZ,

I do to. I just don't like stepping on cracks, and I get very good feedback and instantly adjust based on it. If it has just rained, and I am walking by, I may go slow, fast, slow, fast, etc.... On slipperier surfaces, I may walk VERY slowly, on others fast. Obviously, I want to go FAST, so I try to plan my route so I'll go to areas I'll walk fast on.

Steve

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 5:18 pm

Steve, what's meant by 'very good feedback'? Is it from others?

+====+

This walking style can apply in many ways. For example, if a path is paved with concrete and orange zig-zag tiles, I'll want to walk on the orange tiles in a zig zag. If a path is paved with checker-board tiles, I'll want to put my feet on the black ones. In fact, half the fun is figuring out what method to apply to a new tile-set! I remeber as a kid when I thought that the Zebra Crossing lines had a dual function: not only to mark the way, but to act as stepping stones to cross the road (I even pretended I was stepping on logs over a river infested with pirranhas!). I still do it to this day.

In a way
We all go there

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 5:22 pm

no, I mean I seem to know ahead of time how a road will be. I periodically rub my shoe on the ground to verify, but am rarely wrong.

Steve

jamer
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jan 2007, 5:38 pm

sounds very familiar, i do the same.
particulary when its raining/wet, i often seek out the dryest part of the pavement and take the steps like that, often resulting on tip toeing on small parts of pavement that are slightly higher than others, some people probably see me do it and think what the...
:)

amerikasend
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jan 2007, 6:10 pm

When I'm walking on a sidewalk, I won't step on the cracks. When it's wet out, I avoid puddles, even the smallest of puddles that other seem not to notice. I also walk on the right hand side of a path or sidewalk, like when driving a car. Also, when it is wet out and the ground is slippery, i shuffle my feet on the ground, that's so I don't slip. When going up and down steps, I always count how many steps there are. Even if I have been up and down the steps plenty of times. Sometimes for fun I will close my eyes when I am walking up and down steps.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 12:45 pm

I do things like that sometimes.

costre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2007, 12:56 pm

I used to focus on stuff like that A LOT when walking.
Nowadays, I seem to take in more of the landscape at once. I'm no longer paying attention to individual lines or patterns in the road, but I see the entire road as a whole.
I am "walking down a road", more than "stepping on or between cracks in this here pavement".

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 1:00 pm

I like walking down pebbles and stoned places too (like river banks), so I can see how I can place my foot next to get to where I want to go.

In a way
We all go there

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 3:00 pm

KBABZ wrote:
And no, not "Does anyone walk?". I mean something you do when walking.

I've found that if I'm walking, I set a particular 'mission' of sorts (although not in a CIA sense) that I have to do in relation to the surface I'm walking on. For example, if I'm walking on cobblestones, I'll think "I want to have the front of my shoe land on a cobblestone, no crossing the lines", and if I'm walking on a footpath after it's been raining I'll try and get my feet on as much dry or wet pavement as possible while maintaining a relatively straight line.

I do that at times.

Another thing I do is to practice a tai chi thing called "follow". I simply follow the person walking in front of me very closely. Very usefull when walking in a crowded street/area. You find a big man with broad shulders who walks relatively fast and follow him and he will lead you through tight traffic. The only downside is if they suddenly stop and you bump into them. A bit emberrasing.