Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cosmic100
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2013, 6:43 pm

Hi I'm New to this site so hello everybody! :D

I am a 36 Year old male married with three children. The fact that I may be on the autistic spectrum only came about because my wife suggested that it may be a possibility.

This may be because when I was at school my Symptoms may have been missed.

I can't really explain my what it is as there are so many different aspects to it and I struggle with my emotions making it hard for me to pinpoint my weaknesses I frequently get frustrated with a lot of different sounds I can't sleep with light on and I prefer to sit in dimly lite rooms as it makes me more at ease. when concentrating I make a croaky humming noise in my throat as my wife has pointed out. At point of over stimulation or a situation I am frustrated about I bang my hands on my head and bite my hand, the luckiest thing is for me is that I do it when no one is around. I'm very passive laid back also.

People think I’m socially awkward and when a lot of people come round to my house with lots of children and noise I vacate to my room gather my wits and return a little later, sometimes. at work I twist my wrist a lot and I am constantly anxious in nearly all social situations it's hard to explain why? I have spent time in psychiatric wards in hospitals due to depression and I have been frequently plagued with bought of this through my life. I also have times when I'm talking to someone and I feel that I'm not there this is really hard to explain. My wife at times has to speak for me in banks shops and certain social interactions sometimes with people I know well.

I find it hard to learn in a conventional way and I'm very poor at maths but love science, philosophy, art, poetry and music, yet I left school with no qualifications. I can't handle money very well my wife deals with all that and I don't mind at all. My anxiety has been with me since childhood and never left me. I was also very clumsy as a child but not anymore.

Could anyone one enlighten me as to whether I show any symptoms of autism? these are just a few examples of what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

Here's a quiz to get you started.

Online Aspie Quiz

Just so you know - no one can diagnose you online. You'd need to see a diagnostician in real life for that.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 7:06 pm

I like the title of your thread. :)

With sincere respect, we can't diagnose you based on a list of traits online. Some of those traits are consistent with autism and many are consistent with other things as well. You definitely should see a professional, IMO, if you're worried about these things. Gook luck to you.

cosmic100
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2013, 7:08 pm

Thanks redrobin62,

I have done the AQ and EQ I score 33 on AQ and 34 on EQ.

I also carried out and eye reading contest and score 15 out 36.

At times when trying to read the eyes and selecting the persons feeling I became frustrated and anxious, Women’s eyes were really hard do decipher they just all looked the same to me.

cosmic100
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2013, 7:20 pm

Thanks daydreamer84

Yes I undersatnd this but I am absolute distress at the minute as my son has been statmented but has not been given a diagnosis as of yet.

I have been refered to a psychologist so I should maybe leave it at that for now. :D

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 7:37 pm

cosmic100 wrote:
Thanks redrobin62,

I have done the AQ and EQ I score 33 on AQ and 34 on EQ.

I also carried out and eye reading contest and score 15 out 36.

At times when trying to read the eyes and selecting the persons feeling I became frustrated and anxious, Women’s eyes were really hard do decipher they just all looked the same to me.

Your AQ score is consistent for Asperger's, but your EQ might not be. I scored something like 8 on the EQ, although I don't know what the NT (neurotypical score normally is and where the cut off lies for AS. None of that proves anything, those sorts of screening tools need to be used by a clinician trained to diagnose (not all of them are, being qualified to diagnose doesn't mean they know how to assess!) in conjunction with a full history.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

http://www.planetautism.wix.com/one-stop-shop

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 8:16 pm

The Aspie quiz I'd linked to, rdos.net Aspie Quiz 2, scores up to 200. I just took it at my score of 130 says I am very likely an aspie. If you took it, and your score was 33, that's an NT level score.

cosmic100
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2013, 9:34 pm

Thanks again everyone :D

I will try that other test but as we know it's only prelimenary not a true diagnosis.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 9:44 pm

Welcome, sounds like you have a valid reason to explore. http://www.aspietests.org/raads/index.php is another test you can try, it has results to compare to averages for different groups that have taken it (m/f NT, m/f ASD diagnosed, m/f ASD suspected).

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:13 pm

here's a very brief test based on the criteria doctor's use: www.iautistic.com/test_AS.php

Tsproggy
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 11:23 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

Online Aspie Quiz

Just so you know - no one can diagnose you online. You'd need to see a diagnostician in real life for that.

Don't encourage him! Stop the spread of cancerous "I think I'm an aspie so I'll just hang around here and judge you guys!".

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:32 pm

Tsproggy wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:

Online Aspie Quiz

Don't encourage him! Stop the spread of cancerous "I think I'm an aspie so I'll just hang around here and judge you guys!".

I'm confused. How did he judge? Plus, you aren't discouraging people coming here to talk when they feel the need to, are you?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 1:13 am

You know, I actually like WP. I've had good times and bad times here, just like in real life. The nice thing is I'm anonymous. My feelings can still be hurt, though. I could never turn my back to someone who is in need or asking for help. A lot of folks on WP are on the spectrum and some aren't. Some conditions, I'm slowly finding out, resemble autism. Someone who is an immigrant, very sensitive and shy, has avoidant and/or anxiety issues, wears glasses and ignores the popular fashion trends, is naïve to popular customs but is as smart as a whip can develop symptoms that mimic Asperger's Syndrome. Such a person could make an inquiry on WP. Who am I to turn them away?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 2:15 am

The fact that you managed to get married and have three kids puts you ahead of many other Aspies.

Oh sure, we run the gamut, but you're better off/more successful than most.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 3:44 am

I think the real question is how much of a debility is one experiencing? It's kind of like back pain. Everyone has it, but how debilitating is it? A lot of people with autism will never come within a million miles of having a spouse and kids. Or even know what it's like to have a real friend. They for the most part have been unable to function in everyday society. Unable to hold even menial labor jobs. Just walking down the street and getting on a bus can be a challenge for them. And I'm talking about those with high functioning autism.

But yeah, you sound like you might have Aspergers. You had depression that was bad enough to put you in a psyche ward and that's saying a lot. Just as you got diagnosed with clinical depression, see about getting the concerns you aired here diagnosed. A lot of the people here on Wrong Planet are just like you. They don't know whether they have autism or not, even after taking umpteen online tests and asking umpteen questions about it. There's only one way to find out for sure and that's to get clinically diagnosed.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 3:50 am

Tsproggy wrote:
:lmao: