Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:47 pm

I wanted to find out how valid the E-Q test is as to how it relates to ASDs. I took the test and rated as an "Extreme Systemizer" (despite my inability to use a map effectively). If there is a link between systemizing and the ASDs, how can that coexist with ASDs who are very disorganized in their lives?

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2013, 11:11 pm

I'm an extreme systematizer, while my place looks like an alchemical lab about to self-explode (I remember the placement of everything though). Don't rely on easily discernible labels. All the personality/neurological disorders relating to empathy seem to stem from a commonly related genetic phenotype (as recent studies have shown).
Logic has its limitation's while we try to unravel and disprove them (please disprove me, and do make it a post-structural critique of structuralism please :lol: ).
I obviously belong on a burning stake.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:09 am

This makes perfect sense.

I have AS, and my brain often feels like it has no filter and everything feels like it just floods in. Consequently, im often overwhelmed.

Creating systems is a natural way of creating order for myself.

I cant read maps, negotiate websites, understand most instructions........so I create systems to help me compensate.

At first glance most people think I am a natural organizer. WRONG. I am a unnatural organizer.

This over compensating tool comes at a cost........exhaustion, OCD & depression.

I have learned to understand my drive to enforce order, it was a coping strategy that was life-saving for me whilst growing up.

I sense that aspies who have not had the early need to enforce such extreme systems to survive can very easily go the other way and become 'comfortably messy' , which ironically I am aspiring to these days. In fact, part of my mindfulnes based CBT work is all about giving up trying so hard to organize things.

auxetoiless
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2013, 4:17 am

Quote:
I have AS, and my brain often feels like it has no filter and everything feels like it just floods in. Consequently, im often overwhelmed.

Creating systems is a natural way of creating order for myself.

This. Perfectly phrased, spot on.

'Disorganised and chaotic' is my natural state, but slipping into that seems to make the problem worse for me - suddenly I'm more eccentric, more introverted and reclusive, more prone to sensory overload, less able to verbally communicate, my thought patterns get wilder and harder to follow... Systems and habits and organisation give me the order and structure I need to function (and fly under the radar, if you will, as being able to pass for NT).

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:32 am

mikassyna wrote:
I wanted to find out how valid the E-Q test is as to how it relates to ASDs. I took the test and rated as an "Extreme Systemizer" (despite my inability to use a map effectively). If there is a link between systemizing and the ASDs, how can that coexist with ASDs who are very disorganized in their lives?

What test was that? I looked up EQ test, did this one:
http://psychology.about.com/library/qui ... htm?cor=13

And got: Your results indicate a low score on emotional intelligence.

I only take these things for kicks. I already know I'm going to be on the extreme low NT end, like with the Aspie Quiz.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 5:37 am

I see. That makes perfect sense. I have been very disorganized during parts of my life ("flakey") and have learned to put everything on my calendar and make lot of lists to keep me organized. With 3 kids, this makes me VERY stressed out if someone changes something on the schedule. Due to this I have become more OCD and "anal". I was told by someone that I am "too organized" to be AS, and I actually believed her.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 8:48 am

I can't even wash dishes without sorting them all out first. I find it difficult to live with my husband because he doesn't realize I have a "system" or a routine for everything, and he disrupts my systems and I have to start over from scratch. I did not know I had this problem when we got married and he thought I was a slob because his presence knocked all my stuff off kilter and I hadn't figured out how to encorporate him into things so my apartment disintegrated into chaos because I was spending so much time with him.