I don't understand. An explanation please.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

I don't understand why people feel the need to be nasty to each other.

I honestly do not understand what they get from it.

I can vaguely understand it if someone has just hurt you intentionally...you may think they are a very nasty and horrible person (or at the veyy least that their behaviour is horrible) and you may want to or even say so. A person may even strike back in self defense sometimes, but if I were to go out and be intentionally nasty to someone for no reason it would make me feel sick to my gut.

What do people get from hurting others? Why do they seem to enjoy it so much?

It makes me feel like the human race is suffering from some kind of sickness that I just do not understand.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2013, 10:22 am

I certainly do not interact with people smoothly if you know what I mean, but I change a lot. It just is not easy.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 11:25 am

Probably because it makes them feel better about themselves; if they can point out the bad things about you and exaggerate and make fun of them, or make you feel bad about them, then they don't have to feel quite so bad off with their own flaws. It's cruel and unfair, but unfortunately, I think that's the way a lot of the human race naturally is; I've found humanity to be an exceptionally selfish breed.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Probably because it makes them feel better about themselves; if they can point out the bad things about you and exaggerate and make fun of them, or make you feel bad about them, then they don't have to feel quite so bad off with their own flaws. It's cruel and unfair, but unfortunately, I think that's the way a lot of the human race naturally is; I've found humanity to be an exceptionally selfish breed.

Egocentric and predominantly interested in self gain more than the welfare of others.

I want to see the good in the human race again but its getting harder and harder. All I see is people hurting each other unnecessarily.

There are no flaws...only adaptations, characters or phenotypes that can flourish in one environment and flounder completely in another (and all shades of grey in between). This is nature. What is to feel bad about other than the mass delusion of perceived perfection and imperfection/success and failure/negative and positive that society has created for itself?

In other words a trait you consider to be a positive trait can be useful in some environments and useless in another. The same applied to perceived negative traits. But that is not a good enough reason to want to inflict harm on another.

The human race could work together effectively and to create a supportive loving environment for each other where no one has to feel bad about their 'imaginary' flaws (if only it would get over itself and take its head out of its arse). Instead it would rather go to war with each other and tear each other down.

Society has lost its mind. It is going insane and has been for thousands of years.

I am trapped in a delusional violent world. Or it feels that way some days anyway.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 11:47 am

Slightly off topic and on the subject of adaption, evolution does not create adaptations to fit into a specific environment or simply because it needs them...this is a misconception and is a common one. That view of evolution implies intelligent design when evolution is really more random than that.

What happens is a variety of adaptations or variations will occur within a species. Those that are best suited to the environment at the time will flourish and those that are not will die out and will often not be passed on.

However, what works in one environment will not work in another...so if the environment changes then those that once flourished will not (unless they have other variations that help them to compensate or they move on to a different location) and those that once floundered may flourish as a result.

There are no such thing as flaws in the eyes of nature...only organisms and variations within that species that are best suited to different environments.

If you are floundering in a particular environment then it is not because you are flawed. It simply means you have the wrong characters/adaptations to flourish in said environment and need to find or create a different environment that you can flourish in instead.

Will people stop it with the I am flawed garbage. It's man made drivel and is not how nature or the world itself works.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:10 pm

I don't know. I don't have any answer for that at all, and my post doesn't have anything to do with this topic, I just can't find the thread where we were talking about crochet because I want to send you some pictures and also some patterns. If you are interested, we can either PM about it, or even start a crochet and needlework thread in the women's section if you want. Or random, since guys do that sometimes, Rosie Greer in particular (that big huge football player - linebacker I think - did needlepoint because it relaxed him)

I've also seen patterns for something called Medieval Blackwork which is a type of embroidery that looks really interesting. I bookmarked some patterns for later use.

I finished the shawl and it wasn't long enough to suit me and it was the end of the pattern, so I just made up patterns and rows for about another foot and a half. It actually looks great now that it's done. It looks like that second half was a pattern! Too bad I didn't write it down, huh?

OK, I'll hush for now and we can continue this when and where and if you want to. :-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm

Some folks are just naturally very opinionated and don't mean to fight yet debates tend to get heated. I'm speaking for myself this happens sometimes. Many it's bullheadedness. If i am wrong i have no problem admitting it.
Yet some topics can lead to heated debates, thus people get defensive and fights start sometimes.
Fights may start, however they can always make up.

As for people intentionally hurting others? Are you speaking of school? I went through being bullied from the time i started school.
Usually it was the jocks or popular kids that did that. (in middle school and HS) sometimes it would be kids who seeked to be popular yet didn't fit in the popular crowd.
As for elementary school, some kids may have problems at home, and thus they take it out on peers. I have seen this currently in our neighborhood. One of my friends (9 years old with Aspergers) actually has another friend who has been bullied who admitted to bullying others. And the kids who bully them all come from very broken homes..

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:27 pm

Chloe33 wrote:
Some folks are just naturally very opinionated and don't mean to fight yet debates tend to get heated. I'm speaking for myself this happens sometimes. Many it's bullheadedness. If i am wrong i have no problem admitting it.
Yet some topics can lead to heated debates, thus people get defensive and fights start sometimes.
Fights may start, however they can always make up.

As for people intentionally hurting others? Are you speaking of school? I went through being bullied from the time i started school.
Usually it was the jocks or popular kids that did that. (in middle school and HS) sometimes it would be kids who seeked to be popular yet didn't fit in the popular crowd.
As for elementary school, some kids may have problems at home, and thus they take it out on peers. I have seen this currently in our neighborhood. One of my friends (9 years old with Aspergers) actually has another friend who has been bullied who admitted to bullying others. And the kids who bully them all come from very broken homes..

That's true. Sometimes people are just in a mood about something else and take it out on the wrong person. Or they could be having some mental problems at the time. I had a huge breakdown back over the holidays and was horrible to people, online and in real life. I knew I was being horrible, but I just couldn't stop myself. I wasn't doing it to be mean on purpose, even though I knew that it was. It's strange to explain, and I really can't except to say that I wasn't exactly in touch with the real world that much then and was extremely depressed at the time too, which can cause people to direct their negativity outwards as well as inwards. So, that could be going on with some people, sometimes.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:22 pm

I may sound pessimistic, but I believe many people are wanting others to be unhappy for the sake of their own self-esteem/(relative) happiness. They don't openly try to hurt others because that will very likely put them in some kind of trouble. However, when they find an easy target, they will make use of that opportunity.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

04 Apr 2013, 1:28 pm

I don't understand why people do that. I might be mean from time to time but it's either unintentional rudeness or I'm frustrated about something. I never am just mean to be mean.
Another thing along the same vein is why do NTs seem to not be very truthful? Maybe I'm too literal, too precise and they routinely deal in generalities as part of their nature. I just find it frustrating. I understand that sometimes it's in someone's interest to lie about something but sometimes there's no benefit to stretching the truth or telling tales and yet they still do.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

Sometimes people gain status in a group by picking on someone else. The ones ganging up on someone together "bond" over it. It isn't just NTs, either: I see that kind of behavior here.

Otherwise, if someone's else's behavior or words triggered some negative association or contradict some ideal, a person might "strike back" even though there was no direct attack against them. I think aspies are probably even more prone to this than NTs, being more likely to assume the other person understands everything the same way.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

bumble wrote:
Slightly off topic and on the subject of adaption, evolution does not create adaptations to fit into a specific environment or simply because it needs them...this is a misconception and is a common one. That view of evolution implies intelligent design when evolution is really more random than that.

What happens is a variety of adaptations or variations will occur within a species. Those that are best suited to the environment at the time will flourish and those that are not will die out and will often not be passed on.

However, what works in one environment will not work in another...so if the environment changes then those that once flourished will not (unless they have other variations that help them to compensate or they move on to a different location) and those that once floundered may flourish as a result.

There are no such thing as flaws in the eyes of nature...only organisms and variations within that species that are best suited to different environments.

If you are floundering in a particular environment then it is not because you are flawed. It simply means you have the wrong characters/adaptations to flourish in said environment and need to find or create a different environment that you can flourish in instead.

Will people stop it with the I am flawed garbage. It's man made drivel and is not how nature or the world itself works.

I applaud this post! I'm so sick of hearing people talk about evolution "intending" this and "planning" that and having a direction. It's all such nonsense.

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2013, 1:57 pm

I associated with a very mean person for quite some time. Once a friend of a friend was there and pinned her down about how outright nasty she was being to everyone.
She answered "I'm miserable and I'm making sure everybody else is miserable too."

I found that quite honest of her. I also quit hanging around as it was obvious she was not trying to change.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

StarTrekker wrote:

This.

A good friend of mine calls it "push down, pop up," as people tend to push others down in order to prop themselves up in their perception of themselves.

I suppose it's a path of least resistance thing, as it's much easier to point out someone else' flaws, or belittle them, or discount what they have to say etc than it is to do the hard work required to improve one's self.

Ignore people like this as best you can and don't allow what they say or do to affect what you think or how you feel. Carry on doing what you know to be right in making every effort to be a better version of yourself vs. someone who diminishes the value of others in order to artificially feel better about yourself.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:10 pm

I thought it was about the pleasure they get when they know they have power over you.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:16 pm

Some people are nasty as a basic feature of their personality and others become nasty as the world has an impact on them and they become like the people around them

Generally it's a competitive 'I'm better than you' thing though. It's a reinforcement of the social hierarchy; people saying they have a higher place in it than others.

It all depends on how much notice a person wants to give to other peoples' opinions.

I think people with ASD's are very vulnerable though as they are more likely to take the nastiness seriously and they are also more likely to be picked on in the first place.

There's no solution to it as it's human nature.

You have to try and distract your mind from it and see it as something to just be tolerated as if you get too intolerant of it you'll end up doing something stupid and end up in prison or sectioned. :roll:

the main thing is not to obsess about it