Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

BookPerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2013, 9:14 pm

I might be attending an electronic music concert this weekend with some friends. I have only attended classical concerts in the past, and am a bit confused as to what I should expect. Could someone please fill me in on the general etiquette and, perhaps, share some tips? I should maybe say, too, that I can't dance - well, I don't know how to. (By the way, I've always thought that the stereotypical prog rock fans had it right when they were very reserved and listened to the music quietly and intently :D )

bethmc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2013, 12:15 am

well, if seats are assigned, then you'll probably be sitting, listening to music.

if there are no or limited seats, you'll be standing and listening to music.

your best bet is to find someone who's been to that particular venue and can tell you more about the interior arrangement and how the concerts are performed.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2013, 12:17 am

I'm responding from Aussie rock concert/festival perspective as no electronic fans have posted.
I hope someone will post and point out if electronic differs so much I am steering you wrong :)

In my experience its very crowded and loud with mostly standing room only. A very positive atmosphere though.
There isn't usually much room to dance except on the outskirts, most people are focused on the band and just sway or nod in time to the music.
In fact, no-one would notice social errors of any description.
You could paint yourself blue and run naked and you would probably just get offered a beer.

In smaller venues, you might get people crowding around tables at the edge with a dance floor in the centre.
Its considered fine these days if you don't dance, many serious musos still do the "listen intently" thing.

Hope you have a wonderful time

palindrome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2013, 12:43 am

I used to go to a lot of rock shows, though for the last 6 or 7 years, it's been mostly dance and electronic stuff for me (and I do go out kind of a lot). I used to have issues with crowds, and still can under various circumstances, but kind of learned over time how to handle them just fine up to a certain size, especially in a musical context.

Bring earplugs, even if you don't have sensory issues with sound. It will most likely be loud enough to be harmful without protection (this can a good thing, it makes the sound itself a physical experience all on its own as you can literally feel vibrations).

What the others said about expectations of personal space depending on how the venue is laid out is true. Finding the venue's website and looking for pictures or a layout can give you an idea of what to expect. If there aren't assigned seats or whatever, it'll probably before crowded in some places than others. Don't sweat moving to a less crowded spot if the lack of personal space is bothering you. Same for taking a break if there's a crazy light show and that's overwhelming you.

Also, don't worry about whether you can dance skillfully or anything. If you feel like moving around, go for it, or just stand and enjoy the music, nod, whatever. For one thing, almost no one in the room will be watching you, or notice, or care or remember you afterwards even if they do notice/care. In my experience, even if it looks "funny" people are appreciative/accepting when it's a sincere expression of enjoying something. Crowds that are unself-conscious and really into whatever are always more fun than ones that aren't.

And on that last point... Just try to relax and have a good time!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 1:04 am

I have been to a few electronica/rave concerts and here is a few pointer I can give you.

1) If you don't know how to dance? No Problem! Just move your body to the music any way you see fit. Most of the people there are gonna be drunk or high on something anyway. nobody there will judge you.

2) if someone bumps or pushes in to you(And it will happen quite often.)? Don't get angry or upset. there is gonna be a lot of drunk people there and it's gonna be a crowded place.

3) if you have acute sensory issues. I would bring earplugs and sunglasses. FYI: wearing sunglasses at a electronica concert is a cool thing to do.

4) A safety pointer. You will find a lot of fountains there. stay close to one. exothermia (rise in body temperature) is a real danger there. So be sure to stay hydrated.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 1:51 am

Don't over dress, it will probably get pretty warm in there with all the body heat.

Can't stress this enough: Bring earplugs. I've regretted not bringing them in the past and will definitely do so in the future. I do have some audio sensory issues, but the sheer volume is enough to do hearing damage - especially if you pass by a stack of speakers.

It won't matter one bit if you can't or don't dance - there are usually quite a few people who aren't dancing, anyways. Plus it will likely be quite dark, too.

Annnnd it might not be the best place to go if you're prone to epileptic seizures, as there will likely be a light/laser show. Just throwing that out there in case it is an actual concern of yours.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 2:39 am

Supposedly, you generally aren't allowed to start fires. If you do, they want you to leave.

Odd, I know, but there you go.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 3:02 am

I always find odd or novelty shirts are good to wear to a concert, or maybe a shirt of a band in a similar music genre. Wear enclosed footwear. Only take a camera if the concert promoter allows them. Don't get offended if people push past you to get closer to the stage. The closer you get to the stage the thicker the crowd gets and it's impossible for them to NOT brush against you. A lot of people retreating from the front of the stage are going to be very sweaty, take that as you will. Be on the safe side and stay out of any moshpits (can you even mosh to electronica?). Some people stand back, listen and watch intently because in their mind that's the proper way to appreciate the music being played (especially if they're big fan of the band and they put on a visual show as well; prog metal band 'Tool' is a good example). Most of the kiddies moshing up front only know one song by the band.

LongWaysAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2013, 4:57 am

Bring ear plugs. You can get cheap "foamies" at any drug store, they will do the trick. It's just the smart thing to do whether you're an Aspie or not. I can all but guarantee you that the people on stage will all have earplugs.

It actually lets you hear the music better, believe it or not! It's because your eardrums aren't rattling as much.

Chloe33
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

LongWaysAway wrote:
Bring ear plugs. You can get cheap "foamies" at any drug store, they will do the trick. It's just the smart thing to do whether you're an Aspie or not. I can all but guarantee you that the people on stage will all have earplugs.

It actually lets you hear the music better, believe it or not! It's because your eardrums aren't rattling as much.

This is a good idea, a lot of the time the amps are blasting that one can go deaf for a bit.
One time at Lollapalooza 95' the moshpit was the best pit i've ever seen. People really were supportive of helping out eachother.
Whenever someone fell from crowd surfing or whatever they'd get picked up immediately. I had no trouble finding guys to help boost me up to crowdsurf. It was like everyone was helping eachother. This is rare.

I've been to Lollapaloozas since then and they sucks (early 2000s) also in some venues they had seating only that was closer to the stage.
One time folks made bonfires and jumped over them back and forth and others rushed the seating area to jump the gates. They only have so many rent a cops and the show must go on...

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

What band(s) are you going to see? As an avid Electronic (read Electronic, Industrial, EBM, Elektro) music worshipper, I know many people who dislike clapping in the middle of the song (myself included), loud screaming or whistling is very irksome. Let the band(s) make the noise. Always get the VIP package if you want to talk to the artists - this is how they get their money, which isn't much BTW. Don't get into the clique-y "this band is more legit than this band" garbage. It just makes you look like a poser and nobody really cares if FV has crappy English or if old :w: is better than new :w:. If you like one band in particular, just wear their merchandise.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2013, 10:21 am

blue_bean's post is great. Pretty much all that stuff.

I just hang out near one of the side walls in the bag half, nodding my head a little. I wouldn't recommend going to the front or in the centre where pits etc. can go off without a second's notice.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

During quiet songs, if you're going to use your phone, go outside please. At a gig I attended 3 years ago, there was someone who used her phone during a quiet song and wasn't too happy that I'd looked at her several times and wanted her to be quiet.

Can't add anything to what has already been said.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

go early to get a good seat/spot to stand. I'm going to bring earplugs for now on as the large amounts of people talking in between sets are enough to couse a bad shutdown for me, the music is usually OK. I second not over dressing, if you do you will stand out in a bad way, a vintage or band/event T-shirt or something of the like will do fine. These types of shows are great places for aspies to fit in in my opinion, stimming is really not a bad thing here thankully as my stims fit in with most others actions. I'd recomend not drinking alcohol like everyone else so your social skills deficets compaired to others will appear to subside for he night!, it will also keep you alert as some people get really unresponceable and stupid at these events. Just have fun, thats the point after all!