Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ker08
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2013, 4:40 am

Is losing words an AS thing? For example, especially while at work I will be unable to fund a simple word and will try to describe it until someone else gets it. I realize in small amounts this is normal, but this is excessive. My other thought was that too many undiagnosed concussions as a child left me with some deficits. However, I have an excellent memory, its just the words I can't seem to find....

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 4:52 am

The official term is word finding problems I believe.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2013, 8:46 am

I thought all people have this from time to time.

spagheddie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2013, 8:58 am

I have problems losing words. But I think it has a lot to do with bad memory and not to do with any injuries, because I tend to rehearse conversations I plan on having with people to appear normal, but I have a hard time remembering what words I was going to say and in what order.

ker08
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2013, 8:59 am

Highlander852456 wrote:
I thought all people have this from time to time.

They do, but as I said mine is multiple times a day, nearly once in every conversation I have.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 9:11 am

if it's really bad it might be aphasia but it doesn't sound that bad so it probably isn't in any case if it's a major problem you'd be better off discussing it with your doctor who can actually help as opposed to a bunch of ppl online who can't diagnose or help. :)

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 9:49 am

There's a familiar term for that. I can't remember what it is, although I know it very well. It's um. I think it starts with an R or maybe an H or... oh this is going to drive me crazy for hours... :lol:

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

I think if it's getting really noticeably bad, it could be some problem in the brain. It could indicate brain tumor, Alzheimer's disease etc. These things can happen even in your 20's. So if it worries you, I suggest you see your doctor to discuss it.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2013, 11:49 am

I have always had words come and go. I can talk and mention a word then the word is gone, or the word is like it does not exist in my head. Some times it takes minutes to months for the missing word to come back.

It is always been like this, even at a young age. It does not seem to be worse or better as I age. I realise that it can happen many times over a few minutes and happens several times each day. My social life suffers greatly because of it.
It also happens when I am thinking of something to write, not just talking.

My memorise do it too. My memory is very good and I rarely forget things, but often can not remember anything till much later than I want to.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 7:24 pm

It's certainly a me problem.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

AnOldHFA wrote:
I have always had words come and go. I can talk and mention a word then the word is gone, or the word is like it does not exist in my head. Some times it takes minutes to months for the missing word to come back.

It is always been like this, even at a young age. It does not seem to be worse or better as I age. I realise that it can happen many times over a few minutes and happens several times each day. My social life suffers greatly because of it.
It also happens when I am thinking of something to write, not just talking.

My memorise do it too. My memory is very good and I rarely forget things, but often can not remember anything till much later than I want to.

Yeah I do stuff like that.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2013, 3:16 am

I lose words a lot, certain medications make it a lot worse as does anxiety. Some days being verbal in general is pretty hard, some days typing is a lot easier than speaking. Some days my head works ok. I have a horrid habit at the moment of accidentaly getting words the wrong way around or getting the first letter of words swapped around...all of these things are very annoying to me. It's certainly got worse as I've got older but then most things have as well. I have a good vocabulary and a good memory but this seems to be somewhat separate from that. x