Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

I generally find car horns annoying. It just sounds generally obnoxious and many people misuse it, especially in my area. It's often as if they're saying they own the road or something. And if it happens close enough to me I can get startled by it. I hope I don't lose my balance and fall in front of the vehicle because of this one day. Anyone else feel this way?

I was walking out of a shop just now and a taxi honks the horn for no reason at all, no danger or obstruction or anything. I turn around and raise my hand up to say 'wtf for?'. I get a bit annoyed, and try to deal with it by thinking of legitimate reasons for this to happen (eg accidentally pressed the horn) but it's still annoying.

And there was another incident a few days ago which I'll admit is my fault, but the horn just made things worse. I crossed a road when my signal was red, crossed the first half as there was no traffic from that side, and then a car on the opposite lane honks. It was probably just to warn me in case I forget to look the other way (or could really be to show disapproval as per how it's used 90% of the time). Anyway I got annoyed again and retaliated by deliberately crossing in front of that car (I wouldn't do this again given the right state of mind, though it was (barely) safe as I had just enough time to cross). After crossing and getting honked at even more, I turned around and we both waved angrily at each other.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

I really hate car horns. I especially hate it when somebody that I know honks their horn to say hello and then expect me to immediately be in a happy sociable frame of mind and wave to them. First of all, they will have scared the crap out of me by honking causing me to startle visibly and wonder what I had done wrong. Then I feel annoyed and shaken up for no other reason than that they felt this insane need to socialize with a pedestrian while they are driving in traffic. I also hate it when people use their horns for anything other than warnings or safety because how the hell do we know what they are blowing the horn for?

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:45 am

Activating the car horn when it's not a safety issue is a moving violation and/or crime in most states.

With good measure...those things are supposed to be used for emergencies.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

Hate them and never use mine.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

The whole point of car horns is they're meant to be obnoxious so people pay attention...

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm

Someone I know calls car horn greetings "the Tijuana doorbell". When I hear a horn in motion I have to tell myself "maybe they were trying to avoid hitting a cat". What's really bad is a car alarm coupled to the horn. Car alarms are the most illogical invention ever. Can anyone provide empirical proof that a car alarm ever deterred anyone from stealing?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 11:55 pm

2wheels4ever wrote:
Someone I know calls car horn greetings "the Tijuana doorbell". When I hear a horn in motion I have to tell myself "maybe they were trying to avoid hitting a cat". What's really bad is a car alarm coupled to the horn. Car alarms are the most illogical invention ever. Can anyone provide empirical proof that a car alarm ever deterred anyone from stealing?

I agree, worse is that most of the people who have the car alarms fail to know how to use them so they get set off all the time and are unable to turn them off, if there even aware its on. Also why in the world does the horn have to go on when locking the doors using the remote on newer models? Even stupider then the alarms.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 12:47 am

hartzofspace wrote:
I really hate car horns. I especially hate it when somebody that I know honks their horn to say hello and then expect me to immediately be in a happy sociable frame of mind and wave to them. First of all, they will have scared the crap out of me by honking causing me to startle visibly and wonder what I had done wrong. Then I feel annoyed and shaken up for no other reason than that they felt this insane need to socialize with a pedestrian while they are driving in traffic. I also hate it when people use their horns for anything other than warnings or safety because how the hell do we know what they are blowing the horn for?

This. Back in high school I was friends with the librarian who used to drive home in the same direction as me, so I'd often be walking down the street and he'd honk at me to say hi and scare the crap out of me every time. There are a couple of idiots in my town who, if they see me walking past, will deliberately honk the horn and scream out the window to make me jump. They'll go round the block and do this repeatedly until I'm so rattled I just want to throw something at their car. I never understood why people thought startling others constituted entertainment.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

alakazaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2013, 2:14 am

I find the sound of smoke detectors going off way too excruciating. That's one sound that will even annoy NT's. Imagine how it must feel for us.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2013, 2:42 am

Any sudden noise is likely to terrify me and car horns are no exception, they make my legs go from under me and it's horrid. One day I will fall over, the staff here know not to beep at me if they see me because of how bad it frightens me but sometimes people forget. I used to have a friend whose family thought it was funny how badly it would frighten me and would beep at me...it was horrible. I find my reaction to it really embarrassing (especially before I was dx) because it's really noticeable and my go to reaction is to get really angry. People do not get just how terrifying I find it, they also don't get what it's like to spend your entire life jumping at every sudden sound, I hate walking down the street because of it.
Don't even get me started on fire alarms, airplane toilets etc.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 3:21 am

Any sudden noise scares me. Any loud noise scares me. Car horns = loud and sudden. I would say "why would anyone invent these", but I can understand why; to warn people. Not as some kind of social element to our lives. My mum even does it, even though she probably can see that I literally jump and look all around for danger and the source of the sound, and by the time I've assessed the situation as safe and realised it was my mum, she's gone into the distance. If someone is walking with me, it really helps, as they can go "is that your mum?", and I realise I'm not in danger, and can wave to her. Not even sure why my mum tries to get me to wave at her, now I think of it. Like.. shouldn't she be concentrating on the road, not on trying to get any kind of interaction with me?

elsing
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2013, 6:58 am

Annoyed by the first beep but accepting of it's purpose, by the second I will say, 'clearly got a car horn for Christmas and is now out to play with their new toy'.

If people beep to get my attention I later get asked why did you look so angry with me.

Minim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2013, 7:05 am

I also hate car horns, they make me jump. It's not even people I know who do it, it's strangers who do it for no reason.

Jainz
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2013, 7:12 am

Gah I hate them, and other sudden loud noises. I have hypersensitive hearing, the sort where the sound of somebody eating from across a room will make me cringe. I don't like phones ringing, doorbells, smoke alarms, even the person to my left right now who keeps coughing like a damn cannon... it all puts me on edge.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 8:56 am

I don't like any car-related noises. Car horn, car engine etc. They distress me very badly. That's why I hate cars in general.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 9:21 am

I hate it when people bib their horns without needing to, or just to get a pedestrian's attention (for no reason). Today somebody in a random car bibbed as they went by, and they weren't bibbing at anybody else because there was nobody else around only me, and I didn't recognise this car nor the people in it. Some people take is as a compliment if someone of the opposite sex does it, but I just find it needless and annoying.