Why do people with aspergers like psychopaths?

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

blah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2012, 5:19 pm

I don't have aspergers but I'd like if someone could shed light on this...
An ex friend of mine who has aspergers defended psychopaths whenever I brought the subject up...he hates the fact that I hate psychopaths/sociopaths and narcissists. I don't like them because they cause so much damage to people and they're evil.

One time he said that in psyche words it's good to have psychopaths in general population because it "helps" the other mentally ill patients...wtf?

I've noticed that a certain author that writes books trying to convince people that psychopaths are good for us probably has aspergers aswell.

Why is this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

I don't care for psychopaths at all. I try to avoid them.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:33 pm

I'm not sure that people with Aspergers generally defend psychopaths, two people doesn't really make a trend.

Before I knew about Aspergers I sometimes worried that I might be a psychopath, because I didn't seem to have the same feelings that other women had. Now I know more about Aspergers and psychopathy I realise that they are completely different and that I am not a psychopath at all, for a start a real psychopath wouldn't worry about being a psychopath! Perhaps your friend is just confused about what psychopathy actually is.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:37 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't care for psychopaths at all. I try to avoid them.

I second that. It does not matter if they are not sane: criminals should be punished for their crimes.

And I am sounding like a Golden Age superhero. :P

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:43 pm

I was just looking at a psychopathy checklist on Wikipedia. There seems to be a lot of criteria for it which I don't meet, like cunning/manipulative, pathological lying, lack of realistic long term goals, parasitic lifestyle, etc.

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 5:44 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I was just looking at a psychopathy checklist on Wikipedia. There seems to be a lot of criteria for it which I don't meet, like cunning/manipulative, pathological lying, lack of realistic long term goals, parasitic lifestyle, etc.

You are definitely not a psychopath, I've read enough of your posts to be as sure about that as it is possible to be.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2012, 5:53 pm

If your friend thinks that way about psychopaths for the same reason I think that way about them, this is the explanation:

Most people do the following three things:
- They put all behaviour on a good - evil scale
- They think everyone completely controls their behaviour, or at least bears responsibility for it
- They want people on the evil end of their scale to suffer

Going by these three things you think of a psychopath in the following way:
A psychopath behaves in a way that hurts other people, which is evil. He made the choice to do that, is responsible and therefore is evil. He should suffer by being locked up, not have anything nice and be treated with contempt.

Using purely logic however, the conclusion can be quite different:
A psychopath behaves in a way that hurts other people. This behaviour is due to either nature or nurture and therefore not quite under the psychopath's control. He thus can't be blamed for it. However the behaviour is harmful to society, so the psychopath needs to be kept separated from society. The ideal solution would be a ward where the psychopath can live happily, while the rest of the world can be happy that the psychopath isn't causing harm to society.

The difference is that most people decide what is the right action by how they feel about it, whereas I, and possibly your friend as well, only use reason combined with as many of the facts as we know.
Not all people with Asperger's think this way though, there are plenty who don't adhere to "reason only, no feelings".

Whether having psychopaths mix in with the other people in a psyche ward is a good thing I don't know. If there is evidence of it then it must be so, but I don't know enough about psychology to explain it.

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2012, 6:02 pm

I enjoy fictional stories that have psychopathic characters, but beyond that I feel no particular good will toward psychopaths. I tend to avoid them when possible. Ironic, then, that I'm often mistaken for one because of my conspicuous lack of emotional expression.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2012, 6:02 pm

I personally want all psychopaths locked up, if they like it or not.

Sociopaths are the ones I really can't stand. They know what they're doing is wrong and don't care.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2012, 7:09 pm

This is not reflective of people with asperger's. I don't even care to think of them. But, we do get rather deep into our interests (even if it's just knowledge of the history of individuals) and defend such things as if it's a personal attack on us, even if it's not intended to be, especially if we haven't socially trained ourselves. That might be what's going on there.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 7:22 pm

Psychopaths/sociopaths are the main ones that target people with AS. I have a hunch that most of the "bullies" people talk about on here are sociopaths, so I think the OP doesn't know what he's talking about.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 7:45 pm

You guys need to be really careful about labeling people as psychopaths or sociopaths. In many cases bullying is a social behavior. Not all psychopaths are deranged killers or bullies just like not all autistic people are rainman. I have met a couple of true psychopaths who weren't very intelligent or charming and I have met others who are extremely intelligent and charming. Many know they are different and actively hide it extremely well, so often you will not know there is anything different about them unless you observe VERY carefully over a long period. Point is stereotypes are bad.

I personally don't like them but find them easier to understand than NTs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 8:08 pm

Real psychopaths should be locked away, along with pedophiles, jihadists, and my ex-wife.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 8:15 pm

Quote:
two people doesn't really make a trend.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
two people doesn't really make a trend.

Quoting this as well.

If you know one autistic person, you know one autistic person. If he defends psychopaths, that doesn't mean all autistic people will.

For that matter, I do say that condemning psychopaths as harshly as possible as some suggest in this thread is extremely unjust. They shouldn't be locked away just because of how their brains work, nor should they be dehumanized. Like it or not, they are part of the human condition, just as we are.

However, I also believe everyone has the right to protect themselves from others, and psychopaths often engage in abusive and manipulative behavior toward others. I do not go near my psychopathic parent because he is manipulative, controlling, and abusive, and I advise others to keep their distance as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 9:19 pm

^ But by locking away psychopaths, you reduce their chances of violating another person's health or safety.

I see that no one is objecting to locking away my ex-wife ... :lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.