Would you want to be cured if you could?

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you want a cure/be cured?
No (please explain) 73%  73%  [ 58 ]
Yes (please explain) 21%  21%  [ 17 ]
I am indifferent/Not sure (please explain) 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 80

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

I have two people talking to me right now, as I am typing this, two neurotypical people, who are saying that finding a cure for Autism wouldn't be so bad.

Their reason for it is that some people on the spectrum may want to be cured, because it would make their lives easier. Like people who have learning issues and actual trouble being independent.

I wanted to know your guy's opinion on this.

ProudWithAspergers
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

I wouldn't. If i was cured, I would be completely different (even more) and i wouldn't want that.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:44 am

No, I wouldn't want to be cured just because an NT thinks it would be a good thing. I stopped caring what they think about me a long time ago. I'm quite happy being me. :)

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 10:45 am

No, I can't explain exactly why, but if you read A Brave New World you might understand.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Oberoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

In what ways would I be different? :?
Honestly if I could remedy my social ineptitude and sensory issues then I might consider it.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

03 Apr 2013, 11:05 am

Yeah, I don't think a viable cure would change that much. I believe that some of my issues, such as sensory issues, could be cured. Others, I don't believe it's possible to cure.

Tinman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

I would rather find a cure for the NTs

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2013, 11:27 am

Tinman wrote:
I would rather find a cure for the NTs

That's a good quote.

I personally think the best "cure" would be trying to make sure that people understood that there are people like us out there, where you can't necessarily see anything that's wrong, and on the surface we seem like geniuses but we are, in fact, struggling to understand some of the simpler dynamics of social interactions.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

All humans have problems. Going from AS to NT and vice versa is just an exchange.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

No, I am quite sick of everyone else seeing Asperger's as something horribly wrong that must be cured and not just being who I am. It's as bad as trying to "cure" someone of homosexuality or being left-handed. And the more I see how "normal" humans act, the more I wonder why I'm the one labeled with a disorder. HA! :twisted: People need to be taught to accept and understand Aspies, like that's ever going to happen. :evil:

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

I might be willing to try a pill that you had to keep taking to maintain the "cure". That way I could either continue it or revert.

At the age of 50 it doesn't seem too important now. And there's a lot of NT pains I've never had to suffer through in life. Being NT isn't exactly a cake walk.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2013, 11:47 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
No, I am quite sick of everyone else seeing Asperger's as something horribly wrong that must be cured and not just being who I am. It's as bad as trying to "cure" someone of homosexuality or being left-handed. And the more I see how "normal" humans act, the more I wonder why I'm the one labeled with a disorder. HA! :twisted: People need to be taught to accept and understand Aspies, like that's ever going to happen. :evil:

This is exactly my point of view.

I was trying to explain this point of view to the two who were talking to me, but of course, that's just MY point. This is why I'm holding this poll, I want to know more about the entire community's various perspectives.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:00 pm

I am too mild to be cured so what is the point? I would rather cure my learning problems and my anxiety. Those two really impair me and give me roadblocks.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

I've been struggling all my life since my childhood, but I somehow don't feel I should have be cured. My struggle is not because of my condition itself, but it's because people didn't understand my condition. So in that sense I am myself not the problem. I don't really need to be cured.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm

Although this is about the 6 thousandth thread asking about this type of thing, I will answer anyway, pardon me if I repeat myself from previous threads.

Yes I would like to be cured, without hesitation, and if I knew the cure wouldn't harm me in any way. I don't care who I would be, how different I would be, I just want to be in the NT community.

Yes, NTs do have problems too. Yes, I know that NT life is not perfect and stress-free. I am not one of those naive Aspies who think ''oh NTs never get worried, they all hate routine, they all love change, they all love noise and crowds, they all love....'' That is just what you call black and white thinking, believing that just because something makes an Aspie anxious it means it will have an opposite affect on an NT, or something that makes an Aspie happy means that an NT absolutely loathes it. That is NOT how it works, and I can't believe some Aspies believe that. But explaining the difference between how an NT perceives something and how an Aspie may perceive the same thing is like trying to explain the colour blue; I can see it but it's such a subtle thing to explain. I don't know everything, unfortunately.

Back on topic, I would love to be cured from this nightmare I am somehow surviving through. And it's not about what will worry me and what won't, and what will make me happy and what won't, and what I will be good at and what I won't. It's about being in the majority, and being more socially accepted, and being able to be invited out to places with my peers more, and all of that stuff. I know shy NTs of my age who still get socially accepted, and I just don't think it's fair that I have to be this way and just because I am unintentionally this way it has to mean that I have the least friends out of everybody that I know. I just hope things get better for me, because if they don't, then I guess it's suicide for me. Yes I am TRYING to make something of my life and improving myself and other things, but if it doesn't work out then I guess it is suicide. Because I can't go on being Aspie and being socially phobic at the same time. It's impossible.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2013, 12:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Back on topic, I would love to be cured from this nightmare I am somehow surviving through. And it's not about what will worry me and what won't, and what will make me happy and what won't, and what I will be good at and what I won't. It's about being in the majority, and being more socially accepted, and being able to be invited out to places with my peers more, and all of that stuff. I know shy NTs of my age who still get socially accepted, and I just don't think it's fair that I have to be this way and just because I am unintentionally this way it has to mean that I have the least friends out of everybody that I know.

Your problem seems to be based off of how other people see you. If people saw you in a better light, accepted Autism and didn't have such a stigma, would you still want a cure?