Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

stardustlugia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2013, 8:36 pm

I have always had a hard time integrating into a culture even the one i grew up around. I just find allot of the modern cultures to be flawed and for me subscribing to it would drive me nuts because there so inconsistent and irrational sometimes. anyway I think people kinda pick up on this default position and get uncomfortable. Anybody else feel like this because i am staring to feel like a jerk.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 10:03 pm

Yes, I do.

I certainly don't agree with many things in the culture I grew up in. I also feel the same in the culture I'm in now (multicultural). So basically whichever culture I'm talking about, I don't like the concept of having to follow the popular ideas. I think many people are very hypocritical, trying to make themselves look good, but actually not caring about what's really right or wrong.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm

I have yet to discover a single culture I could feel a part of...

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 2:12 am

I don't do "identifying with groups".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2013, 2:32 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I don't do "identifying with groups".

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is uncomfortable with group identity. Frankly, much of it doesn't make much sense to me. Why exactly would someone be proud of any particular heritage? It's not like you had anything to do with it, and it doesn't make you fundamentally different from anyone else. Sure, I'm an American in the sense that I live in America, but there's nothing particularly special about that. I don't feel any special kinship with others simply because they are also Americans. It's not like they treat me any better because of this shared group identity. If you think about it, the people who are most likely to screw you are also Americans.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2013, 6:34 am

I have always been a stranger in a strange land. I have a culture all my own. I'm a foreigner wherever I go. It's like I'm on the wrong planet. All I can do is try to avoid culture clash as much as possible.