Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2013, 5:03 am

Beforehand, I felt like Felix Baumgartner today and after I felt like ... well, like a person climbing into his car to drive home after having been shopping ...

I went in and got diagnosed today, confirming what I knew already. It seems somewhat of an anti-climax, but it isn't, because when I wake up every day now I'll have a sense of certainty regarding who I am and the nature of the challenges that are particular to me. I look forward to the future.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 5:28 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
I went in and got diagnosed today, confirming what I knew already. It seems somewhat of an anti-climax, but it isn't, because when I wake up every day now I'll have a sense of certainty regarding who I am and the nature of the challenges that are particular to me. I look forward to the future.

You know to me this is like going in to get diagnosed for anything. It's just something that should be done. It sure seems more sensible than wondering about it all the time and playing with self diagnosis.

(Of course that doesn't apply to those who are constrained from clinical diagnosis due to financial reasons or whatever).

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:14 am

Jabberwokky, your experience of the benefits from diagnosis are much like mine.

In the last few months since my diagnosis I have been able to more fully use the various tools and techniques for coping with and improving my life that are available to those with Asperger's. So now, rather that starting my day with uncertainty and dread, I can instead do so with a bit of enthusiasm for experimenting with new ways to make my life better. (And to also make life better for those that interact with me :-)

Thank you for sharing your encouraging experience, strength, and hope.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:19 am

Good luck with your future and whatever you make of it.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:34 am

Where in world are you Jabberwocky?

I am in the UK and have had my referral. I have to fill out some forms, tests etc and then wait for the appointment with the Neuropsychologist but I am still unsure I want to go ahead with this.

What is the process for getting a diagnosis? multiple sessions where you chat? lots of tests? one meeting?

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
Beforehand, I felt like Felix Baumgartner today and after I felt like ... well, like a person climbing into his car to drive home after having been shopping ...

I'm jealous.

You've described well what I'd wanted.

If there are those who don't get why we who suspect so want a diagnosis...too bad.

We have good reason.

Yeah, I'm jealous, but I'm glad for you too.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

I am in the UK and have had my referral. I have to fill out some forms, tests etc and then wait for the appointment with the Neuropsychologist but I am still unsure I want to go ahead with this.

What is the process for getting a diagnosis? multiple sessions where you chat? lots of tests? one meeting?

I too feel the same as Jabberwokky, I seem less anxious about the day when I get up, more calm and relaxed...

@ Biscuitman I am in Surrey and recently diagnosed... I had 2 sessions with a very nice lady, took some photos and diaries from my past which she looked at in between meetings in all about 3-4 hrs of talk saw it all sorted.

Stu

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 1:59 pm

Camo wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:

I too feel the same as Jabberwokky, I seem less anxious about the day when I get up, more calm and relaxed...

@ Biscuitman I am in Surrey and recently diagnosed... I had 2 sessions with a very nice lady, took some photos and diaries from my past which she looked at in between meetings in all about 3-4 hrs of talk saw it all sorted.

Stu

Hello, sorry, I don't want to be a thread jacker.

Was you consultation with the NHS or private?

Thanks.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 2:45 pm

My referral is NHS. Royal Berks Hospital in Reading have recently opened an Aspergers clinic

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

NHS too...

Stu

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:12 pm

I am in Ireland I paid for my assessment I only got the result a few weeks ago.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2013, 9:34 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

I am in New Zealand. I think the process of diagnosis with younger people (I am 45) is more empirical, but in my case it was a qualitative decision in the main. I presented a vast amount of material as well as the results of various online tests (rdos.net), all my school reports (which my mother had kept), a photo of me as a five year old and my diary (been writing it since 2006). The psychologist wanted me to do the Ritvo RAADS test but I had already done that so all I had to do was send in the results. Based on all this information it was all too clear that diagnosis in my case is not hard. Diagnosis was made after one 90 minute session. I imagine the process would be different dependent on each individual case.

In New Zealand, the diagnosis of autism is changing to a single diagnosis that puts people in the HFA part of the spectrum i.e Aspergers per se will no longer be a diagnostic term. The rules officially change in approximately 14 days, so the timing of my diagnosis is very interesting in that it should technically be revisited under the new rules.

On the matter of the rules of diagnosis, there is little or no social welfare benefits for adults with HFA/Aspergers diagnosis in New Zealand. Diagnoses are not even registered anywhere in the government systems. In my case I am financially independent but I imagine for others who are not, and could do with support, it must be a difficult life.

It felt almost like the diagnosis needed to be accompanied with a certificate or the sharing of a secret handshake to be used in all subsequent meetings of members of 'the society'. I know all such notions miss the essence of what diagnosis is about i.e it does not in itself change anything but everything changes anyway. That's a rough version of something that Attwood says in his book. It is a very true statement.

slapdash
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
It felt almost like the diagnosis needed to be accompanied with a certificate or the sharing of a secret handshake to be used in all subsequent meetings of members of 'the society'. I know all such notions miss the essence of what diagnosis is about i.e it does not in itself change anything but everything changes anyway. That's a rough version of something that Attwood says in his book. It is a very true statement.

That's awesome!

Yes - it does change your perspective and that's everything. As I recent diag myself, I know what it means and I share your thoughts. I am sure a great many things are starting to make sense and will make sense in the future. Good luck to you. :D

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2013, 10:24 pm

I've been self diagnosed for about 6 months. When I was about 16 (I am 45), I went to a psychologist who said he believed I was on 'the autism spectrum'. At that time, aspergers was relatively unknown and I recall him saying 'this is amazing' and that it was the first time he had observed this and acknowledging that he didn't know much about but that my symptoms were very clear. It is only recently that I have remembered that outcome. I obviously repressed the memory; I recall being horrified (and so were my parents) and refusing to accept it.

The recent re-discovery of my autism occurred in a series of revelations and as I learnt more, it accelerated into an extensive journey of research and self awareness building. The actual diagnosis was one of the bigger steps on the way. Its a point along the way where a marker is now placed and becomes a point of reference for the future. It is only in the last week that I recalled the outcome of the visit to the psychologist in my teens. In a sense I suppose I have been re-diagnosed but it is as if my original diagnosis was in a previous lifetime.

I am certain there is a lot more to discover about myself; maybe not about the technical/factual matters but possibly more about my particular brand of autism and how I should work with the person that I am. A diagnosis is a bit like realising that the old dress sense was hopeless and being given a whole new wardrobe but only some of its contents fit me and look good. The job for me to rebuild my psychological self image as you would possibly change your dress sense when given a new cupboard full of clothes.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 10:42 pm

I broke down crying when I was diagnosed, I learned their was no hope.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 1:51 am

I am self diagnosed for about 2-3 months after going through a particularly difficult spell. I am 33 and have always been a very anxious person who prefers to keep themselves away from others but there are many things I have been learning about ASD that tie in with my behavior and how I feel. in particular the noise filtering I have always found very difficult to the point I have to pretend to have a hearing problem at work to a couple of people as it was getting embarrassing asking them to repeat themselves, my gf also says it can be exhausting talking to me at times as I jump into conversations at the wrong time, get mixed up on things and get upset if people stop my flow of talking as I cannot pick up where I left off. Tie that in with lifelong strict eating schedules, eating disorders and childhood depression and I think I most likely have ASD

Just very nervous about the appointment to see a professional about it