Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

PhilosophicTurtle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm

Ever since I was a kid, I had to blink a lot or jerk my head or things like that. I also have to cough or clear my throat a lot and if I even hear someone cough or clear their throat, I have to myself. I have some facial twitches, but I have to have my arms twitch or tense.

I don't know whether I have Tourettes or not. I'm considering bringing this to my doctor, but that means multiple neurological tests and *shudder* I don't want go through that.

What should I do? If you know anything about Tourettes or you have it, please tell me because I need to know. :D

Only 1 1/2 more weeks of school and procrastination.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:03 pm

PhilosophicTurtle wrote:
I'm considering bringing this to my doctor, but that means multiple neurological tests and *shudder* I don't want go through that.

What should I do? If you know anything about Tourettes or you have it, please tell me because I need to know. :D

Well, as usual, one can bite the bullet and get diagnosed, or one can continue wondering about it, reading about it and asking laypeople about it. Are they connected? Perhaps not. But like with many things Asperger's, they may go hand in hand.

I have a form of Tourettes. When I'm by myself I often keep repeating the same question out loud over and over. And many times I'll say something laced with profanity and innuendo and even violence out loud. So far this mainly only happens when I'm alone. But sometimes it's escaped under my breath, a little too loudly, while in a grocery store or wherever. I'm worried that someday I'll have less control over it.

This is Bob giving a demonstration:

! !!!WARNING BAD LANGUAGE!! !!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8SmN15TfQ[/youtube]

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

not all tics are Tourette's. my nephew has tics. I don't recall him having to go through lots of tests before getting help.