Looking for adaptive strategies social and other.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

What strategies do you use and how do you develope them.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

Highlander, could you please provide examples of the situations that you would be thinking about? It's hard to give a good answer to the question without examples.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2013, 1:13 pm

Well strategies as in ways of dealing with anxiety, memory problems, akward social situations, new situations, and what ever comes to mind. I am more interested about other people with autism mainly for the reason that in my country they have rather outdated sites and no practical information available. Basically all information is in english.

In case you are wondering, what are mine well not much. Avoiding social events. Avoiding people who make me feel akward. Pretty much avoiding new situations or unfamiliar activities and places. Avoiding shopping as much as possible. Avoding is only limited when I can afford to do so. I also failed school once, because I was avoiding one lady in administration :? - stupid I know. She was a major pain.

Deep breathing, muscle relaxing, focusing on positive thoughts, rationalizing situations when I am confused etc.
Avoiding eye contact, but not too much as not to attract attention.

Time keeping and having practical routines maybe an issue. How to not lose focus and self-esteem. In case of depression I had no idea that I had depression for a long time. It occured to me only lately. So to deal with that I did a little of jogging, but not as much probably as would be beneficial.