ASD visual memory: If I can't see it, it doesn't exist

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kjartan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2013, 9:18 pm

WrongPlanet,

There is a manifestation of my ASD about which I have found it difficult to locate information because it is so difficult to describe. Simply put, once an object moves out of my visual field, that object ceases to exist, for all intents and purposes. My experience is the epitome of the proverb "out of sight, out of mind." What remains in my short term memory is what I can see, or have recently seen. Some experiences I have had

* I am frightened to put any items or documents into folders or drawers, because once I can't see them, I will forget that they are there.
* I have ridden my bicycle to a store and parked it outside. When I leave the store, if I cannot see my bicycle, I have been known to walk home forgetting I even rode it there.
* If I need to take an object with me when I leave my house in the morning, I must put the object where I will see it on my way out the door. Otherwise, I will forget the object.
* My living quarters appear very messy to others, with objects all over the floor and counters. However, this enables me to take in all of my objects in my visual field at once, so I know where they are. If any of those objects are stored where I cannot see them (e.g. in a drawer), even if stored in a logical and organized sequence, I will forget that they are there.
*Although I need for objects to remain in my visual field in order to remember them, I quickly become overwhelmed when there is too much information in my visual field for me to process. This creates a very difficult Catch-22 situation. I need to see objects to remember they are there, but being able to see them all overwhelms me.

This visual memory problem is creating significant challenges for my functionality. However, various Google searches on "Aspergers + Visual Memory" have turned up nothing. Does anyone have any idea how this symptom might be formally defined, and what I can do about it?

Many thanks,

Kjartan

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 12:08 am

Maybe it would help with some sort of reminder? Like a list (where you can see it) where you've written what you've put where and detailed labels on boxes. Maybe with photos, though that may be a big project.
Having to put objects where you can see them before leaving the house just means you must make space near your door where you can place the objects so you don't have to keep them in your short-term memory until you leave :)

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Apr 2013, 12:12 am

I am not sure what to call this, although I am familiar with it. I think Anbuend described dealing with something like it on this forum in the past. In a thread about ideal homes for autistic people, she talked about transparent cupboards and refrigerator doors so she could see food and thus know it was there.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 1:25 am

I never heard of it as an asperger symptomp (and I have been reading a lot about the subject). Anyway, this is really serious s**t, man. You should look for professional help.

Kjartan wrote:
My living quarters appear very messy to others, with objects all over the floor and counters. However, this enables me to take in all of my objects in my visual field at once, so I know where they are. If any of those objects are stored where I cannot see them (e.g. in a drawer), even if stored in a logical and organized sequence, I will forget that they are there.

I'd suggest to use a big corkboard with lists showing what you have inside the drawers/boxes. For example 'box of stationery', and a list, in the corkboard, so you see it, with all the things you have there.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Apr 2013, 1:33 am

Greb wrote:
I never heard of it as an asperger symptomp (and I have been reading a lot about the subject). Anyway, this is really serious sh**, man. You should look for professional help.

It could be a matter of unusual visual processing, and other autistic people have described similar as I noted above.

That doesn't mean that it couldn't be something else, and it couldn't hurt to have it checked out.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 1:47 am

I don't know of a name for it. Visual processing or visual memory I guess.

Try making lists of where everything is. Tack the list to the wall if you have to or to the side of your desk.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:07 am

Popsicle wrote:
I don't know of a name for it. Visual processing or visual memory I guess.

I wouldn't be so sure. He forgot that he rode a bike until the supermarket, and this is not a pure visual experience. It looks more like a short memory to long memory problem.

But he can create long term memories. So probably it would be a good idea to think about the circumstansces that allow to create long term memories versus the circumstances that don't.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:21 am

Have you been like that all your life? Sounds really serious and scary. I don't know what it is called or if it has anything to do with AS/autism. I would definitely consult a doctor about it. There might be a way to actually improve the condition.

Last edited by jk1 on 27 Apr 2013, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:25 am

I have similar issues with short term and visual working memory. There was a thread a few months ago with a visual working memory test. I did badly, although I am a strongly spatial thinker. http://www.neurogenol.com/neurogenol/im ... sk_8_7.swf

My memory of places is very spatial and sensory, but not usually visual as I'm rarely able to take in the whole picture visually without getting overwhelmed.

I have found routine (always doing things the same way, eg if I take the car to the store, always get a trolley, so I know to look for the car if I have a trolley), having things lined up so I can't miss them, and physically attaching things like keys to my bag pocket have helped.

I have had this all my life, in spite of that I did mostly well in school and have learned to compensate. It seems to be a visual processing (sensory overload), working memory, attention and short term memory issue.

Two doctors I saw when I underwent diagnosis (originally for attention difficulties ca 10 years ago) seemed to think my attention and memory issues were ASD related, although ADD meds I took for a few years have definitely helped me to organise myself better and develop compensation strategies.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2013, 5:15 am

This is an interesting post and I experience the same thing. It's due to the working memory difficulties autistic people experience (you can't "hold" things in your head unless they are in front of you, written down, etc). Unfortunately this is a less talked-about autistic symptom because the mechanism behind it is not outwardly obvious to others, unlike things like stimming and particular sensory sensitivities. The other things you mention, like existing only in the now and perceiving only the immediate environment, and sensory issues to lots of visual stimuli, are common to autistic people too. Before I began learning about autism, I always just considered it absent-mindedness, but I think that if you try researching autism + working memory you will probably find more useful information. The fact that you have noticed the visual aspects of your working memory problems more than any other is probably because you are a very visual person. It's no more serious or scary than other autism-related difficulties really, it's just about finding the right ways to manage or work around them. The fact that you have such good perception about the cause of these issues means you are halfway there already!

In case it helps, here's how I deal with this. I absolutely can't have "stuff" everywhere because I am very negatively affected by visual noise and having lots of objects, textures and patterns around me (if you experience this too, you may want to look up Irlen syndrome/scotopic sensitivity, which falls under the sensory sensitivities which are common to autism). I found the only solution for me was to be extremely organised and minimalist. Although it took me a while to do, all of the things which I have a need for from time to time are in labelled boxes and drawers, so that when a need comes up for a particular object, I know where it is. If a need for an object never arises, and therefore I don't think about it unless it's in front of me, I conclude that it's surplus to requirements and get rid of it. In that way I try to use this trait to my advantage as a signal about which things I really need in my life! I got rid of everything in my home that I don't ever use unless it had extreme sentimental value (which is only a few things in their own labelled box). Documents for current tasks I keep in my desk tray, the rest are in labelled boxes for whenever I need them. This has all made life a lot easier for me, so if you can bring yourself to live more simply and clear out the unneeded things from your life, you will probably find it helps. I also rely massively on lists to help me know what to do.

It sounds like you have found some things which work for you (like putting things by the door). For the bike example, maybe get a bike lock with a key, and hold the key in your hand while you shop, so a reminder is right there. I'm sure that, having such a good perception of the things affecting you, you will be able to figure out things which will enable you to manage.

Hope this helps!

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 5:51 am

Jinks has good ideas.

I would recommend opaque plastic drawers. Lots of them, and for everything. Enough of a visual queue that objects are inside to prompt recognition, but without being terribly distracting. I would also recommend labeling the drawers to more readily identify the contents at a glance.

I have similar issues, though had not really identified it as well as you have described here. I am in the (slow) process of getting more organized myself, and the only change I've made that has proven helpful/functional has been the drawers I got and labeled. I have another set of drawers in my bathroom that I have not labeled, and it may as well be a black hole, I know it has a bunch of stuff in it, but I honestly couldn't tell you what, or in which drawer... or likely even why I own it in the first place... I never open the thing, because I've lost track of what is in it completely. But... I imagine if I do label it... that might help. The one in my bedroom that is labeled I use all the time, and is very helpful in maintaining order and general cleanliness while still letting me access my stuff on a regular basis.

I set my laptop (Which I used daily, for hours) under my bed once, and must have knocked it/kicked it... because it ended up further back than it should have and out of sight. I ... ended up forgetting I ever even owned one, functionally anyway. I mean, like.. I knew that I owned one, but not in the sense that I "actively" knew I owned one... if that makes any sense. So I just did without one for a while, a couple months anyway.

But yeah, drawers, labels… it helps sooo much.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 6:45 am

i seem to be the opposite of this; i always know what i have and where it is. if i am in the supermarket i can remember a full inventory of the fridge and pantry so i know exactly what to get (although no more specific than "half a pack").
also, if i need some book, stack of papers or a random tool i have not used for months i can just go and get it without thinking about where it went, the location simply resurfaces whenever i need it.

this way, i also never forget my bike, since "going home" is intrinsically tied to "getting my bike" so i will automatically remember where my bike is as soon as i leave a building (even if i didn't take it, then i remember that little fact), although if you ask me where i put it; i wont know for the life of me...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 8:25 am

"Out of sight, out of mind" has always been a problem for me.

In my case, it's an issue with my lousy working memory and spotty visual processing.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2013, 9:54 am

I forget things on frequent basis, but I usually know that I forgot something. I return to it. Not sure what to say if you forget about a bike. Probably overstimulation, but could be a serious memory problem.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 10:11 am

My out-of-sight-out-of-mind is not quite as severe, but I can definitely relate. I always forget to pay the rent, because they don't send me a bill for it, amongst many other things.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

Jinks wrote:
This is an interesting post and I experience the same thing. It's due to the working memory difficulties autistic people experience (you can't "hold" things in your head unless they are in front of you, written down, etc).

Was going to say "hold in your head" but wasn't sure if anyone else could relate :D
I have some of these difficulties too and I will def start using transparent boxes now.

Verdandi wrote:
In a thread about ideal homes for autistic people, she talked about transparent cupboards and refrigerator doors so she could see food and thus know it was there.

I should start saving up for a fridge with a glass door. Really good idea, could probably afford it with the savings in food I'd make :compress: