Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:48 am

loner1984 wrote:
I like driving my bicycle. Not sure if that can be called driving.

The only time i will ever consider a car, its when im so old i cant use by bicycle anymore.

Really dont like being stuck in a car just sitting there. Dont like that one bit.

It would be nice to live in a place where one didn't need a car at all. Outside of really big cities like New York City, such place are few and far between.

One place where you could do it pretty handily is in Avalon, California. Avalon is on Santa Catalina Island. Most of the town is quite small. Outside of Avalon, there really isn't much to go to. In Avalon, it can reportedly take about ten to fourteen years to get permission to have a car at all. Most people get around by walking, bicycle, or golf carts.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2013, 1:30 pm

I never liked driving, but have love old cars. I did not mind driving them once in a while, but loved learning about them the most.

Even if everyone drove by the traffic laws, I find it just too stressful.

Buggins
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2013, 2:03 pm

I enjoy it, but it's one of the few things that can make me really aggressive. It'd be perfect if it weren't for other vehicles or passengers...

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:16 pm

I can't drive

My Asperger's Syndrome means I can't multi-task to the level necessary to drive a car

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I can't drive

My Asperger's Syndrome means I can't multi-task to the level necessary to drive a car

I don't have that trouble.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I can't drive

You're lucky then

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Aspie_Chav wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
I can't drive

You're lucky then

I can multi-task just fine with any activity that doesn't involve talking or socializing so driving is just fine. I can even do things that are technically illegal to do while driving. Yea, my bad. :shameonyou:

What I can't do is talk and drive at the same time. Backseat drivers telling me what to do or giving me unclear directions might cause me to have an accident.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 1:39 pm

alakazaam wrote:
cberg wrote:
I've been car-obsessed since birth. Driving feels like all the control I never had. Wouldn't give up my Saab for the world.

I had a 9-3 coup turbo charged Saab. It was the best car I ever owned. What kind of Saab do you have?

9-3 4 door, high output b204r, Forge diverter valve. Mostly stock. I had a 900se coupe too, and I'm going for a Viggen ASAP.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 2:01 pm

I love driving! I miss it sooo much... one of those "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone," freedom & convenience things. I haven't had a car for a couple years, and haven't had a driver's licence for 7 months.. however, I'll be getting it back as soon as I pay a small fine and can borrow a vehicle here and there until my aunt can sign my grandmother's old car over to me once the paperwork clears sometime in the next month or two or so.

I was really into certain cars for a while, but way more into just driving. I've taken an autocross racing driving lesson, too, which was awesome fun as I was 3 wheeling my little car around the course at a local airport runway. :D With an outside sales job I had for a few years, I once drove 45k kms in one year, plus another 20+ k kms in a delivery van for my second job - maybe more, I never added it all up in the van, just approximate. Could have been 30-40k.

It doesn't hurt that I live in a beautiful place for a drive, either. Mind you, it's maybe only once or twice in my life that I've gone for a drive just for the sake of a drive. I'm very purpose driven. I don't like wasting gas or money. I drive from A-B where I need/want to go - it just so happens that sometimes that takes me along some of the most beautiful scenic highway routes in the world, ie the Sea to Sky highway between Vancouver and Whistler. 8)

Meanwhile, my identical (assumed, never did a genetic test for scientific confirmation.) twin brother hates driving. He can't handle it. He's had a learners licence a couple times, but never bothered. Ironically, he used to be a professional forklift driver for a couple years at a large millwork shop. He drove the bigger forklifts, too, and very well - with speed and precision, and extra caution. He ended up being the official trainer to certify the other guys.. yet he's described that he can drive on private property because there are no other cars or people around to worry about hitting, but on the road he gets such massive anxiety about the responsibility of operating a car and the possibility of causing a collision that hurts or kills someone that he just can't bring himself to drive. Ever.

Seems strange to me to ride along as a passenger with no control vs. wanting to be in the drivers seat to have every bit of control over the safe operation of the vehicle if you're worried about accidents etc, but w/e, it is what it is.

JoinTheChase
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 May 2013, 3:59 pm

I drive! I dunno if I'd go as far as enjoy it, but I'm glad I can do it. I wrote a blog post about it here:

http://JoinTheChase.blog.co.uk/2013/05/02/cars-and-driving-and-stuff-15817682/

I'd had people say they didn't think Aspies could drive, or autism parents thinking their could would never be able to, so wanted to explain it can happen :)

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 11:17 pm

loner1984 wrote:
I like driving my bicycle. Not sure if that can be called driving.

The only time i will ever consider a car, its when im so old i cant use by bicycle anymore.

Really dont like being stuck in a car just sitting there. Dont like that one bit.

I think thats called riding, have you ever tryed or considered a motorcycle by chance?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:38 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Meanwhile, my identical (assumed, never did a genetic test for scientific confirmation.) twin brother hates driving. He can't handle it. He's had a learners licence a couple times, but never bothered. Ironically, he used to be a professional forklift driver for a couple years at a large millwork shop. He drove the bigger forklifts, too, and very well - with speed and precision, and extra caution. He ended up being the official trainer to certify the other guys.. yet he's described that he can drive on private property because there are no other cars or people around to worry about hitting, but on the road he gets such massive anxiety about the responsibility of operating a car and the possibility of causing a collision that hurts or kills someone that he just can't bring himself to drive. Ever.

Seems strange to me to ride along as a passenger with no control vs. wanting to be in the drivers seat to have every bit of control over the safe operation of the vehicle if you're worried about accidents etc, but w/e, it is what it is.

I think I can relate to this twin brother. I can comfortably be a passenger of a car driven by someone else. I hate driving partly because I'm worried about the possibility of being held responsible for an accident. Even if you do your best to drive safely, an accident is still a possibility. That possibility causes anxiety. Being a passenger, I won't be held responsible for an accident. I guess I have a fear of responsibility in general.

I actually do have a driver's license, but I haven't driven for many years. And I don't intend to in the future. I just use it as a handy ID. I've never tried a forklift, but I can see it's less stressful because it's not on the road.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:07 am

It's all in understanding what you're in control of. I spend as much time on my mountain bike as driving, and they're mutually beneficial. Also I should add; car control in no way requires multitasking. I think many people's issues with driving stem from what they're driving. A barrage of features and displays can't compare to 3 pedals, 3 gauges, a wheel and shifter.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

hans66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2013, 2:48 am

I like driving a car, but I am too greedy to buy my own car, although I think I could afford the expenses for having a car (assurance costs, gasoline/petrol costs, maintenance costs, and the like).

Sometimes I drive my father's car, but sometimes I also take driving lessons, although I have a driver's licence. I want to keep up my driving skills.

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2013, 9:06 pm

Not me! at all! I can't get used to sitting behind the wheel. I really don't think I will ever learn. I have no problem riding in the car with friends or family, as long as I am not behind the wheel. I really don't think that I will ever be confortable driving

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:18 pm

I would like to be able to drive a car.
Imagine the freedom: I could take both my photo equipment, my fishing gear, my drawing materials AND a tent anywhere beautiful, whenever I wanted.
Having to go by train and bicycle narrows the possibilities.

Last edited by Jensen on 16 May 2013, 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.