How is Wrong Planet different from predominantly-NT forums?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 5:16 pm

I hope it doesn't breach the rules here (specifically the one concerning the posting of offensive material). I won't click on that link, as those kind of sites can also be malicious in terms of malware, viruses and those unpleasant outcomes are very nasty.

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2016, 7:21 pm

I'm new here, but the posting style seems to be a little more formal and wordy, other than that no huge differences that I see.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 7:38 pm

I prefer that to many "sound bite" forums, where people endlessly repeat competing slogans without contextualisation, in a peurile back and forth on the level of:

"I think Trump stinks"
"Well I think Clinton stinks"
"Liberals are all idiots"
"Conservatives are all biased"

It makes my head hurt.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 7:48 pm

B19 wrote:
I hope it doesn't breach the rules here

Its just the index and not a particular thread so yeah some of threads did appear to break our written rules but in all fairness, its clearly labeled what it is. I'd leave it with a warning about leaving the site but I am not in your shoes so the choice is yours.

N8solano
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

Like many responses, I believe that WP is more of a support group (although I am barely new).

WP is the second forum I ever joined. The first was a social dynamics one, but I barely remember it since I was a kid. I mostly looked at yahoo answers, but WP is more relatable and preferable to me (obviously).

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 5:49 pm

The biggest difference for me is, on almost every other forum or group I've posted in, people have befriended me and made personal connections with me. Some I got very close to and we would talk on the phone a lot, and with some I even got to know their family members or other friends over the phone. Some got to know things about me that are very personal. Some of us went through really major, life-altering experiences together. I have known people who were so in tune with me, they could just sense what was going on with me. Here, I don't feel like anyone really knows me at all.

N8solano
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2016, 6:15 pm

Its a shame to read that. The main reason I'm here is to interact with those who understand me, since no one I know can understand me in real life (with the exception of someone who might at least be allistic).

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2016, 6:22 pm

Stoek wrote:
Most of the message boards I go on, have a high number of aspies. We may be 1 percent of the population, but on most of the boards I go on, I'd say we rank as high as 10 percent of the posts written.

Looking back on various special-interest boards (and a few in-person meetups) I've participated in, I concur with this point.

katiegococo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

My initial impression is that everyone here has quite good linguistic skills, which is a sign of heightened intelligence. I usually only look at my own threads, though.