Would you rather have been public or homeschooled?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Would you rather have been public or homeschooled?
Public School 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Homeschool 71%  71%  [ 27 ]
Indifferent 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 38

aligerous
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2013, 1:54 am

For the sake of the question, lets assume that:

An IEP would be in place for public school, and it would be suited to your needs.

The method of homeschooling would be tailored to your interests, private therapies would be provided as needed, and social opportunities would be available to whatever extent you desire such things.

Please feel welcome to take this poll whether you have an official ASD diagnosis or not.

vk2goh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2013, 2:35 am

I go with public school, mainly for the reasons of encouraging and building interpersonal skills as well as having the opportunity to be involved in different experiences.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:44 am

I'd rather have been home schooled. I hated school so much. Home schooling would have spared me from going through 3 family court visits and getting sent away twice for truancy.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 6:40 am

I don't think I would have been bullyed or belittled at home and therefore would not have some of the issues I have now.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:14 am

I don't know.
I've always attended public schools.
My issue in public school wasn't bullying, because I've never been bullied (just teased but I didn't suffer for it so I don't consider myself as bullied).
My issue is that I've never been able to completely conform to the school system, also it's very difficult for me to learn by sitting on a chair and listening to someone who's speaking.
My parents have always known that, and because of this they organized some courses for me at home.
Most math was taught to me during elementary and middle school at home.
I learned Spanish at home with a course.
Currently, I'm still learing Spanish and I'm also beginning to learn French at home.
Science was also taught to me at home during elementary and middle school.

So I guess that I have been partially homeschooled, even though I was attending public school in the same time.

Last edited by chlov on 30 Apr 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:35 am

I went to public schools. I was always an outcast. So I would've been better off with home schooling. I never learned to interact with people successfully at school. All I learned there, as far as the social side of learning is concerned, is that people are horrible. I probably wouldn't have developed this cynical view of people if I hadn't had to go through all those horrible years.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:39 am

jk1 wrote:
I went to public schools. I was always an outcast. So I would've been better off with home schooling. I never learned to interact with people successfully at school. All I learned there, as far as the social side of learning is concerned, is that people are horrible. I probably wouldn't have developed this cynical view of people if I hadn't had to go through all those horrible years.

That sounds like how it was for me too.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:40 am

The only thing I learned from public school was that most people enjoy causing pain and suffering and are too dumb to realize they are basically prisoners. I ended up with even worse social skills thanks to my public school 'education'.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 8:02 am

I went to school so that my mom could work to keep a roof over our head but most of the knowledge that I use every day came from stuff I learned on my own from reading at home.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 8:35 am

Clearly public school BUT in an autism friendly school.

If I would have been homeschooled, I would have been totally isolated.

A normal public school can also be difficult for autistic children. I know about some schools, who have specialized in autism or simmilar problems who could be an option.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 8:41 am

Another poll I can't answer because it doesn't include special education classes. I needed to be in special education classes instead of public school. Feel like I would have done much better in my grades.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:58 am

I would have preferred home schooling hands down. I begged my mom to home school me when I was younger.

Siblac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2013, 11:23 am

I liked going to public school, there were people there. (I like people, but I'm not any better at dealing with them.) I was never bullied or teased.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2013, 11:54 am

I would have rather been home schooled as per the original post. As my family was though, they couldn't have done so for financial reasons and both being high school dropouts I don't think I would have had adequate education.

I enjoyed private school from k-3rd thanks to my aunt who recognized my abilities and felt it was worth sending me there. The discipline from teachers was very rough, but my peers treated me well for the most part. Public school was a whole other deal though from 4th-12th.

Its hard to say, but I think the increased (but not total) social isolation would have actually been better with being introduced to society at large in adulthood rather than being an outcast and mistreated for years.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 1:14 pm

Home schooling, for sure. With a computer, if possible.

AshConverse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

I've done BOTH!

My schooling:
- "preschool" was on a farm
- k-6 was at an elementary school
- 7th was at junior high
- 8th was at a "Choice School" (similar to "Advanced placement" and private school)
- 9th was at junior high
- 10th was 1/2 at High school, 1/2 online or "home schooling"
- 11th was online "home schooling"
- 12th was public high school

Public School - liviing hell, I HATED it and did terribly.
Choice School - is based around one subject more than another (some were art based, some were science based, etc) mine was History based. the classes were small, there were only 27 of us in the ENTIRE grade! is moves at a much faster pace that normal school. the grading system is harder (EX: public school 59% and below is an F, 70% is a C, well there is was 69% was an F, 86% was still a C...) I enjoyed it, it was more one on one, and everyone knew everyone.
Online school - I did great and was the happiest I had ever been, I got a job, I was treated like an adult! (until my mother decided that my Diploma MUST say ___ high school and not "____ virtual academy" and forced me back to public school)...