Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Reigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2013, 1:32 am

I have a terrible short term memory and I really need to learn to manage it more effectively. Can anyone help me with this?

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2013, 3:27 am

I have horrible short term memory as well, in some areas it is simply hopeless for me, like manipulating information or facts in my head, I write down or create documents with lists for anything which requires me to keep track of multiple things, even then I have difficulty keeping track but at least I can figure out what I have forgotten to get later.

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:43 am

I've got a memory like... hmmm... what are those things in the kitchen used to strain off water - I've forgotten.

Hopetobe
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2013, 3:46 am

I have always had brilliant long-term memory. But my working memory is bed :(

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:50 am

I also have a terrible short term memory. What helpsmeis writing listsor something like this to keep the information. If I forget it, I can read my writings.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 5:03 am

I forget people, bonds supposedly shaped with them in the past, experiences, events, knowledge... It's very bad.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

Reigh wrote:
I have a terrible short term memory and I really need to learn to manage it more effectively. Can anyone help me with this?

During my recent diagnosis, a Psychologist ran a battery of tests (WAIS-IV, WMS-IV). My memory for verbal information and simple visual information was OK. But, my recall of complex, decontextualized visual information was limited.

According to the Psychologist, I learned to compensate for these issues by making lists and taking copious notes. I have learned that I need to organize (and sometimes reorganize) my thoughts in writing. I am now also keeping a daily journal (in electronic format, of course), where I write everything down. So, I don’t have to struggle with remembering important things in my life.

Persevero
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2013, 12:52 pm

I too have terrible short term memory, I've started to write things down in a notepad (and the electronic version) in hopes that whatever I'm trying to remember sticks around longer

I should really start a journal too, it would help my ability to express myself and maybe even boost my creativity

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

I have terrible short term memory as well. I forget what people have told me during the day and forget to tell other people things I've learned during the day. I also forget where I've put things. There are many times I've forgotten where I've put something and it's not where it usually is. Like the time I was told to put up the salt and later found it in the freezer. That's a case of both forgetting what I've done and not paying attention to where I put things.

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2013, 5:01 pm

My memory is terrible, both long and short term.
I try to stick to a routine so that I do things automatically and don't have to worry about forgetting them. For example, the first thing I do when I get home is empty my pockets into my bowl. Otherwise I forget what jacket I was wearing when I have to look for them afterwards.

I also have an app on my phone which reminds me to do things like eat dinner or take my meds at the right time. Of course, other things I forget a lot unless I do them immediately, such as my washing or shopping. Even with the effort I go to I am still notoriously forgetful.

RedwoodCat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2013, 5:18 pm

My memory is so bad that I keep an iPod Touch on me constantly and record every little thing. If I'm in the middle of something and get interrupted, I record what I was doing so I won't forget. If I have an appointment, I have to set multiple alarms to get me out the door on time. I am trying to improve my "working memory" by using the N-back Suite app, and it does seem to help a bit, but I haven't done it enough to really say for sure. Getting a good nights sleep and minimizing distractions are both really important.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 8:05 pm

I have a really bad verbal memory but if I read something I tend to remember it forever

Reigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2013, 1:15 am

Thank you everyone. I have been trying to write things down (although I put it on one of my devices) and setting an alarm so it goes off and I don't forget.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2013, 1:54 am

I have a bad short term memory when it comes to remembering my school work unfortunately, I try so hard. I have a good long term memory though.

Reigh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 May 2013, 1:58 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
I have a bad short term memory when it comes to remembering my school work unfortunately, I try so hard. I have a good long term memory though.

I struggled with this in elementary school but got better in middle school. Now, school is the only thing I seem to be able to focus on.

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2013, 2:34 am

Hopetobe wrote:
I have always had brilliant long-term memory. But my working memory is bed :(

This is how I am as well. I have a pretty damn good memory, I remember rather clearly back to when I was about 2, maybe 2 1/2, years old. But my short term/working memory is terrible.