Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ekor
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2013, 9:18 am

So I just took a methlyb12 and folate product a few days ago which was followed by more mental energy but also more mental blankness. What I mean is that I feel a little brain dead and can't think anymore. I've read that autistics have high glutamate and receptors so it's possible that the methylation took that away from me. It's not really a good feeling because I feel like my thinking is impaired, I have difficulty speaking French now, difficulty calculating and remembering etc.

Does anyone know I this feel will go away?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 10:59 am

I do know with medication, and supplements are real medication, that a person wants to phase out slowly, like in half-steps or quarter-steps, if it's not working out.

Ekor
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2013, 9:09 am

^^^^

Too soon to tell, maybe my brain needs time to adjust itself like a normal person's brain? I've had asperger's all my life and it would be silly to thing it would change overnight. It's scarey though because when your mind is set in one way (I'm an adult) then it might be hard to just change it; could impact your career, relationships, judgment, personality or whatever.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 8:24 pm

I find the whole topic of brain damage scary, too. I used to think I was smarter than other people and awake in a way other people were not awake, and I did not want to lose these abilities (and I am pretty smart in conventional terms, getting 2100+ when I was taking the SAT to be a tutor). But, these days, I'm a little more charitable and think people are smart in their own ways, too. And maybe most people think they are awake when other people are not.

Okay, all this, I don't think supplements are likely to lead to brain damage. Carbon monoxide and asphyxiation, yes. Supplements, probably not. And I wish I knew more about nutrition in general, and glucose sensitivity in particular. Both my parents have glucose sensitivity, making it I think a three-quarters chance that I have at least some sensitivity.

And maybe as one possibility, these supplements are interfering with your sleep, and this sleep deprivation is causing impairment with your thinking, and difficulty speaking French and calculating, etc?

Ekor
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 May 2013, 9:23 pm

I also have that feeling of being more awake and aware than others, I think that's attributed to the high glutamate levels that autistics have. Are you sensitive to MSG? I don't think the supplements causes brain damage, but instead the methylation removed metals from my brain and this has reduced my glutamate(I am no longer sensitive to msg like before). Also the methylation improved my sleep.

I'm in my late twenties and it just frightens me to "change my brain" so late but at the same time I really want to know what's it like being "normal" just so I don't regret not making the switch....but I just don't know how exactly.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 2:21 pm

I often think best when I first wake up in the morning, sometimes as I'm still lying in bed, othertimes as I'm sitting at my desk writing before I have breakfast. After I have breakfast, well maybe it's a food allergy or gluten sensitivity, or maybe just more blood flow going to digesting food, or maybe frustration about lack of friends, lack of meaningful activities, and general life circumstances . . . whatever the cause, I tend to think less well.

Something else I stumbled upon is sitting in a pub pretending to be a doctor. Let me explain. In fall of 2011, I took pathogenic microbiology and each class member picked a disease to give a ten to fifteen minute class presentation. I picked cholera and oral rehydration therapy (a modern day miracle). So, I was sitting in a pub I sometimes go to. I'm reading a New England Journal of Medicine article on my iphone. So, anyway, I might read a paragraph, hold it in my mind and think about it a little bit, as I listened to the karyoke, watched a little football on TV, and casually people-watched across the U-shaped bar. I felt competent and I felt aware. And I felt I did a good job making progress in the article. Plus, I might also skim WrongPlanet some. There was a lot of sensation. It is a loud place. But it almost worked like white noise. But . . . and this is important, once I got filled up, it was important to ease back away. If I tried to make one more WP post, or even maybe just read one more paragraph in the New England Journal article, it could become too much.