would you want your asperger's to be cured??

Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

If asperger's was curable, would you want the cure?
yes 22%  22%  [ 19 ]
no 78%  78%  [ 67 ]
Total votes : 86

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jan 2007, 8:10 pm

Bah..... Don't tease me with the idea that I may ever be able to get rid of these limitations that make my life miserable...

YES I want a cure.... I try to be happy with myself you know, but the limitations are too much to bear.... The depression, the overfocus, the lack of social skills and confidence - I don't even know what career I can get into, because college was very stressful and I have difficulties passing certain courses, I seem to have no hope what so ever. Some professionals try to tell me to be realistic on myself, that maybe my dream career is just not possible for me to fit into because of my Aspergers.... and they would be right, I mean I can't even so much as finish my own projects, even though I am extremely serious about being creative and finishing what I start, but it never seems to happen for whatever reason, no matter how hard I try....

So whether it changes my personality or not, I wish I could be cured. Maybe then I would actually have a chance to be happy. The way things are, I have no idea what my point even is. What's the point of being a unique individual when you are suffering?

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:19 pm

Something to remedy meltdowns and social anxiety would be helpful, nothing else. "Cure for AS" is to vague IMO.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:25 pm

No. It's a part of who I am.

yvaN_ehT_nioJ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:36 pm

Do I want a cure? No I don't. AS is part of who I am. Instead of finding a cure for AS, people should be trying to make it not seem like such a bad thing and understand what people with AS are like.

desert_rat
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2007, 8:54 pm

I got by with AS for 26 years so far, so there is no point whatsoever to change now. I've already figured out how to get by in life with the hand I was dealt, both good and bad.

WCHandy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm

I'm generally content, but a cure still sounds good to me.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 1:05 am

I don't need to be cured... I AM the cure.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2007, 1:33 am

I don't know. Sometimes I think I would and sometimes not. I guess it depends on what kind of day I'm having and how much I'm getting on my nerves.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 2:45 am

ahayes wrote:
I don't need to be cured... I AM the cure.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=opK3hPSqXow[/youtube]

Catalyst
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2007, 5:16 am

Ignoring the whole point that curing AS is pretty farfetched.....

I'd have to think about it, for a long time, but I think I would say "no." At this point, I have spent 34 years getting used to who I am, and I like me. I can deal with the drawbacks (they are at this point familiar), and would not want to give up being me.

Johnette Napolitano wrote:
"And if I had the choice, I'd take the voice I got 'cause it was hard to find."

All of this being said, I think if the offer had been made while I was a teenager (and I knew what AS was and that I had it), I'd have been all over it.

DanRyder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2007, 12:33 pm

No. For the reason that i have cured myself of most of it. All i really need to battle now is my general confidence in myself in conversation with people i don't know very well.

Plus, if any of us become famous in some way (discover the cure for Cancer for instance) we would go in the history books as AS sufferers. In which case we would feel we have accomplished more and others may look on us and be inspired. Much better.

BubbaHoTep
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2007, 1:34 pm

If you asked me this question when I was younger I would have absolutely said yes.

Now that I'm older the answer is absolutely no because I have managed to learn to work within my limitations and fashion a relatively "successful" life.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 1:47 pm

I prefer death over a AS cure.

Then i would be degenerate street-trash,like all teenage NT males.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 11:15 pm

logitechdog wrote:
How about changing them into us?

If we did that, what would be left to make us unique?

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm

Honestly, I'm very happy with my life as it is now, and I wouldn't want that to change. I'm proud of my creativity and intelligence--to strip that away would be to strip away my character.

AssBurgerWithCheese
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2007, 2:56 am

Not so much as a "cure", but the ability to turn it on and off whenever I want. Being able to think my way out of situations, recall information on obscure topics, having an extreme and diverse knowledge base, and creativity work great, but come at the expense at other things.

My problem is that I inadvertently make people laugh and I'm not even trying to be funny. A friend and I went on vacation in Peurto Vallarta last spring and I scraped my elbow, so I put one of those second-skin type bandages on (as to minimize scarring). A girl I met (who also comes from the Vancouver, BC area) asks me if I'm trying to quit smoking, at which point I explain what the purpose is (prevents build-up of scabbing, which actually impedes cell division, causing the wound to take longer to heal). She bursts out laughing and tells me that I'm the funniest guy ever.

Not exactly the reaction I was hoping for. If I could turn it off whenever I wanted, then I would easily avoid situations like that. But otherwise? I like being smarter than average, but on a social level, it doesn't really count for much. In the real world, intelligence is highly, highly overrated.