Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 2:31 am

Has anyone actually heard Aspie used in context as a slur? :?

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2007, 3:16 am

they have gay, they aren't gonna get to us until gay people start kicking some ass, getting some laws past, or become mainstream enough to make us second after fat people

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 3:21 am

I thought gay was mainstream now? Guess it depends on where you live?? Everyone I know in town at least has their own token gay friend or lesbian couple friends or they're gay/bi themselves.

I've never heard anyone use the term Aspie other than another Aspie. I don't think many NT's know what the term means unless they have a friend or family member that is autistic.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2007, 3:32 am

ahh, I live in a red state, that would explain here

I really think we're a fair bit down the line, and further, I think those autism speaks idiots are going to screw this for us

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 6:07 am

Context is everything.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 6:37 am

I'd never heard the term until I found this website. I don't think many people in the UK are even aware that AS exists, let alone know all the terminology used.

That said, I was shocked when my employer ran an awareness course on AS 8O. They were even more shocked when I attended and was able to answer a lot of their general questions :lol: ! No terms beyond the "medical" ones were touched on though.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 7:00 am

Cernunnos wrote:
I'd never heard the term until I found this website. I don't think many people in the UK are even aware that AS exists, let alone know all the terminology used.

That said, I was shocked when my employer ran an awareness course on AS 8O. They were even more shocked when I attended and was able to answer a lot of their general questions :lol: ! No terms beyond the "medical" ones were touched on though.

WOW, NEAT!! !! ! Who's your employer?

Steve

qotsafan77
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2007, 7:54 am

I have never heard it used that way. People outside of the community don't even know what it means.

As far as people picking on gay and fat people, most people (especially NTs) are very insecure about themselves and what others think of them, and picking on peoples obvoius differences helps them feel better. Unfortunately, I think its just nature.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 8:30 am

SteveK wrote:
Cernunnos wrote:

WOW, NEAT!! !! ! Who's your employer?

Steve

I work for a London University college. There are a number of AS students who've informed the college of their situation, and so the Equal Opps Officer decided that some staff from each department ought to have awareness training. It was pretty sound information - at first I expected it just to be a box ticking exercise, but it wasn't. Very pleasantly surprised with the whole thing. :)

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jan 2007, 8:51 am

Cernunnos wrote:
I work for a London University college. There are a number of AS students who've informed the college of their situation, and so the Equal Opps Officer decided that some staff from each department ought to have awareness training. It was pretty sound information - at first I expected it just to be a box ticking exercise, but it wasn't. Very pleasantly surprised with the whole thing. :)

That's interesting, i should try and get my employer to do something similar.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 9:31 am

Its my impression that employers in the UK have a lot more focus on things like that . (Like disability awareness). But I think that's really cool. It is so important that people realize there is a REASON behind our behavior, rather than just passing it off as some sort of personality of moral deficiency.

As for aspie used as a slur, very few people even have heard of AS, so if they use aspie, its likely they have some connections with people with AS. I'd never heard of it until I got on here, and I don't really like the term, but I'm getting more used to it.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 9:58 am

I've been asked, 'what, you autistic or something', but no one uses 'Aspie'.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 10:32 am

^^^ ditto

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 2:03 pm

Yes, but then it's pronounced like /æsˈpɑɪ/ ("ass pie").

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 4:25 pm

I had a Spanish teacher in high school who said that there was this guy in one of her college courses a few years ago who was very annoying and once said, "I must be mildly autistic or something," to explain why he had difficulty in the Spanish classes.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 4:45 pm

xon wrote:
I had a Spanish teacher in high school who said that there was this guy in one of her college courses a few years ago who was very annoying and once said, "I must be mildly autistic or something," to explain why he had difficulty in the Spanish classes.

The comeback to that should be, "Something."