Asperger and ADHD, a frustatring nightmare?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 1:20 am

Recently I started to take some 'attention enhancer' drug. It's really working great for me, I would like to have known it before.

This is bringing me some food for thoughts. I have mild asperger and mild ADHD. My asperger side makes me love every piece information and knowledge. I see the world as a big amount of information to decode.

But the ADHD makes absorbing information a big nightmare. I have lost track of how many nights I went to bed with a huge headeche, feeling frustated because my attention was fluctuating and I was becoming exhausted just to focus and learn. It's incredibly frustatring, when one side of your mind LOVES learning. And the other side hinders focusing and drains huge quantities of energy in exchange of a small productivity.

I was not aware of it until I have taken this drug that helps to focus.

Somebody had a similar experience?

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2013, 3:07 am

Yes, all the time. Plus I am having trouble getting a drug to help even though I've been on it before. I've been trying since before Christmas and I've still not seen a psychiatrist.

Last edited by UDG on 09 May 2013, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 7:56 am

Thanks for writing this -- it helps me understand my son a little more.

He's 17, and been on ADHD drugs for inattentive ADD for years. It has been a real struggle trying to find out what helps him. When we do find a drug that is helpful, it helps temporarily (sometimes for as long as a year) but he develops a tolerance for it, and it stops working.

It's a very frustrating situation. I feel for you.

When the meds work, it's wonderful. The pieces fall together, and life makes sense. But for my son, it took a year to find the right med combination -- the med worked for a year -- and then we've spent this year realizing it isn't working. We are now back to square one having him come OFF all the meds, and trying to figure out new ones (or quitting the meds completely). Ugh.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:06 am

schleppenheimer wrote:
Thanks for writing this -- it helps me understand my son a little more.

He's 17, and been on ADHD drugs for inattentive ADD for years. It has been a real struggle trying to find out what helps him. When we do find a drug that is helpful, it helps temporarily (sometimes for as long as a year) but he develops a tolerance for it, and it stops working.

It's a very frustrating situation. I feel for you.

When the meds work, it's wonderful. The pieces fall together, and life makes sense. But for my son, it took a year to find the right med combination -- the med worked for a year -- and then we've spent this year realizing it isn't working. We are now back to square one having him come OFF all the meds, and trying to figure out new ones (or quitting the meds completely). Ugh.

Yeap. I have been looking for info about this subject and it looks like developping tolerance is a problem with these drugs.

Someway ADHD is related with short term memory, that's why so much struggle with learning. But once you learned, you can work with it without problems. I can work with huge quantities of info handling all of it in my mind without problems. The problem comes when I have to 'enter' new info. So I've decided to try this drug on and off, using it to 'enter' info and being off to manage it. It's a bit annoying to be so 'scheduled' but I don't want to develop tolerance to this drug. Not now that I have discovered it.

Perhaps you find useful this other thread I opened (it's related): http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt230598.html

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2013, 8:08 am

What drug is it?

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 8:10 am

Modafinil.

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2013, 8:21 am

That's a new one on me.

linuques
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 May 2013, 8:32 am

I suffer from mild AS, strong ADHD, depression and anxiety.
Before the stimulant meds I had no life at all, always inattentive, sleepy and depressed.
Started on Ritalin about 2 years ago and it has helped alot with the daytime sleepiness and the attention.