Can't handle people standing right behind or over me

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2013, 7:05 am

When i'm cooking in the kitchen I can sometimes sense that my wife is stood behind me, it sends a shudder through my body.

So no, I don't like anyone stood behind me, instinct I guess.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:23 am

I dislike sitting at my desk and having someone come in and start talking to me while still standing. I can too quickly feel threatened and meltdown-ish.

So I try to either invite them to sit, or I stand up too.

Also, most people in the office have learned to knock before speaking; otherwise I jump.

vixx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2013, 12:35 pm

this reminds me of one time when i worked at a place I needed to prepare a lot of food items and my a bunch of people were hanging out around me including a manager i had a crush on, because it was like the back of the kitchen away from all the customers.. They were probably not even that close to me, but I was visibly blushing and starting to sweat haha. :oops:

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:46 pm

I don't like people standing that close to me either, I think it shows that person has no concept of personal space and I find it uncomfortable when people do that. Afterall, how do I know they're not going to try to harm me? I honestly take offense when people can't recognize that they're just way too close, though I don't "lash out" at them or anything like that, I just say "could you not stand that close?" and I thank them when they back off.

HaySkyNat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2013, 11:14 pm

I dislike when I'm lining up in a queue (eg at a supermarket) and someone stands right behind me and moves closer when I move away. I can hear them breathing down my neck.

Grevesy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2013, 6:44 am

I can cope with it if there's no other choice - for example, being crammed into a train - even if I don't like it, I can endure it. However if there is no good reason for standing so close I really dislike it. I don't like people walking behind me either, even friends or family, but this might be because as a child I was hit or shoved from behind - they did this to make sure I couldn't identify the culprit.

Recently I went out for a meal with some friends for a birthday. I picked the chair nearest the wall as usual. But I hate it when the waiters/waitresses stand behind you and lean over you to pick up glasses or put down food. I end up leaning as far from them as possible and try and turn to face them so they're not at my back. How do people stand it?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:01 pm

I generally can't tell when people are behind me unless they make a lot of noise or cast a shadow over me. I am clueless a lot. :oops:

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 May 2013, 7:06 pm

S-P-M-E wrote:
If someone stands astride me as I'm laying on the floor, that will freak me out FAST

Ever since I first saw this post I keep trying to visualize an everyday situation where this might happen. Probably not in the supermarket queue... :)

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2013, 7:21 pm

No, lol, this happens in a home setting, when someone is too rude to just go around me and instead has to stand astride me to get to something on the other side of me. My husband does it all the time.

In a rational world, those who act in rational ways would be considered normal, and those who act in irrational ways that they somehow decided were "right" would be the freaks.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:26 pm

I think most people aren't comfortable with others standing behind them closely.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:29 pm

I don't mind as long as they are nice folks.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 7:48 pm

when i walk with somebody, they have to be to the right of me and slightly in front.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2013, 3:10 am

I absolutely hate people being behind me, especially in the elevator where I work. I have to stand with my back against the wall, no matter how odd it might make me look.

I feel like someone standing close behind me is like being tailgated without a car. So creepy.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic