Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Lou_bythebeach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2013, 11:17 pm

I recently took an online quiz, and scored a 111 of 200 as an Aspie score, and NT score of 130 of 200. They conclude by saying I seem to have both Aspie and Neurotypical traits!
I would appreciate any thoughts.

sixteenornumber
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 7:44 am

A lot of the people on here are very polarized toward AS. I took the same test. Take the test with a grain of salt. There are a lot of variables that make it erroneous in nature. Bad questions. How you are feeling at the time of the test etc... my test was a lot more polarized than yours but I too had some traits of both.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:07 am

One thing to keep in mind is that the Aspie Quiz was not designed by a psychological researcher and therefore has not gone through the same process of validation that researchers put their tests through. So its' validity and reliability are uncertain.

However, it draws items from several well-validated autism screening tests, so it's probably mostly valid. Some of the items that come out of the test creator's own theory of autism (he thinks we are descended from Neaderthals, which is nonsense because the rate of autism is the same across most ethnic groups) are more questionable.

Lou_bythebeach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2013, 11:15 am

Thanks for your comment. There is so much I am trying to figure out. I am in the background presently and not commenting much, trying to see were I fit. My wife has been on WP for several years and has benefited. I look over her shoulder as she shares with me articles and comments that she finds beneficial for herself. She feels I may have picked up some of her characteristics through the years. We've been married 34 years. I myself am diagnosed bipolar and ptsd, with some anxiety disorders. She AS along with selective mutism and other anxiety disorders.
I must also add that while we are childhood sweethearts, as a result of what we each go through, we go through periods of feeling lonely although we are together. We communicate differently and at times it causes difficulties.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:21 am

There are too many interpretative possibilities to questions such as : "Do you prefer to do things with others?" Does "things" mean "going out" or does it mean "work"? There are more of them.
I believe, that BAP and RAADS-R are more reliable.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:33 am

I got a similiar score with the same conclusion: that I have "both nt and aspergian traits".

And even that aspie score was probably inflated because I took the test pretending to be myself as a grade school kid, and not as the more nt acting person that I am now (you and I are about the same age).

But later I got the official exhaustive battery of tests from a professional, and was officially diagnoised with aspergers.

So even if you have an ambiguois result on the online test- you still might well be a full blown aspie like myself!

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:13 pm

The "aspie test" is bollocks. There, I said it. Most people I know could answer that quiz and be told they are "most likely autistic". As somebody else said, the person who made the quiz is obsessed with the idea that autism is caused by Neanderthal genes. (S)he has no evidence for this and their theory is largely based upon jumping from one flawed conclusion to another. The test they wrote appears to have been conceived using a similar approach.

I'm sure it was very well intentioned but the "aspie quiz" has probably, more than anything else, caused damage and confusion. Please ignore its existence.

Edited for clarity.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 12:19 pm

It´s shear entertaiment.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 3:01 pm

Not much love for the Aspie Quiz in this thread. And yet, most of the objections raised apply to ANY test taken in a non-clinical setting.

All of the tests have questions which some people see as "bad" or "vague." The test-taker's frame of mind will affect how they answer on any test. R-dos' theory about autism is . . . let's say, "original" . . . but that is immaterial. Most autistics, and a lot of professionals, strongly disagree with Simon Baron-Coen's theories about autism, but his AQ test is still considered a valid screening tool. Any of the tests could be a bad "fit" for a particular individual, leading to inaccurate results.

None of that matters.

What matters is, is it accurate? That question has been addressed, in great detail, numerous times on WP, and the answer seems to be yes. It appears that it is actually somewhat better than the AQ, which is an officially recognized, commonly used screening tool.

Note, however, that I am referring to these tests as "screening tools." While low scores can pretty well rule it out, a high score on any - or even many - of them is not sufficient to conclusively diagnose an ASD. Consistently scoring in the asperger's/autistic range would show that deeper digging might be in order, though. Don't depend on just one of these tests, either. There's a sticky in this forum with a link>Set of scientific tests related to Autism Spectrum Disorders<link which includes links to seven "official" screening tests, plus the Aspie Quiz. If you get consistent results showing you to be near, but below, the cutoff (which is how I interpret your results) on all of them . . . well . . . you're probably on the right planet to start with, but reading - and commenting - here could teach you a lot about how to relate better to your wife.

There are also a LOT of blogs by autistic adults which might help you learn to better communicate, and how to avoid some of the "lonely together" frustration.

Welcome to The Planet!

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 12:15 pm

invisiblesilent wrote:
The "aspie test" is bollocks. There, I said it...

Is that the test that uses 200 possible points for NT traits and 200 possible points for Aspie traits?

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".