Do you drive?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 178 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 97 ]
Total votes : 275

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2012, 5:35 pm

I'm wondering whether people with Aspergers are slightly less likely to want to drive. I've never had the urge to. Even as a 22 year old who could really do with it in order to get a job. I get good job offers, but my location is crap and I rely on public transport. Spending 4, 5, 6 hours a day commuting is something I never want to do. People keep pressuring me to drive, but I have no confidence and it just doesn't appeal to me.

What about you? If you don't drive, why?

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

I never wanted to drive, the thought of it scared me, but I drive. I'm in a rural area, so there are not a great deal of options. Driving is far less stressful for me than public transport.

Jason.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jul 2012, 5:42 pm

I would like to drive but only for shallow reasons, i.e. to become popular by giving people lifts xD
But other than that, I have had no desire to drive. I like public transport, it's slower but it's a good way to unwind and think about things, whereas if you were driving you'd have to concentrate on that. Public transport helps me iron out my problems. I'm just lucky I live in a city with a good bus network!

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 5:44 pm

No...no, no!
edit: and I also dislike public transport due to being overloading though I have to take the train once a week, but fortunately it is at a calm moment.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Last edited by Eloa on 10 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 5:48 pm

I never cared about driving, my parents forced me into it though. I prefer walking the whole five miles than drive there, I just find driving boring. Parents said public transportation takes too long and is dangerous. It took me five tries in order to pass the exam, even now half a year later I refuse to do all the things the instructor told me to do too much concentration.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 5:54 pm

i am an excellent driver.

:lol:

Nils
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2012, 5:55 pm

No I really don't like driving on road with others. However I did do a safety training, where you learn how to control your car when you are about to lose the control. All that sliding and speeding up in a controlled enviroment was really funny. However, on the road I have the feeling that I don't want to take any responsibilities. What if I mess up and crash into someone. It never happened, but when I'm not on my best mood I don't feel save(for others).

To be fair since I've got diagnosed and even since I started to suspect something was wrong with me(which is since november) I haven't driven. One is because when I do drive then with my brother(we live together) to our parents, and my brother is just sick of arguing with me that I need to keep driving every now and then. Plus our car starts to crumble into rusty pieces. :roll:

@Sylph, same story.. 5 tries to get my licence

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 5:59 pm

I drive, gives me more freedom and makes my life easier. I can get things done faster and makes grocery shopping a lot easier. Plus there are places where you have to have a car and where I come from, you had to drive to get to places. Here you don't really need a car but you have to live in the right area where there is reliable transportation and you have to make sure they run on your schedule when you have to go to work and when you get off.

But I always take the bus to work because it's cheaper than using my car every day because of gas.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

Been driving for 12 years =) Very confident. I want to ride a motorbike next.

I would never say I am an excellent driver as I can see what I need to do to improve, yet I can see where many are dangerous.

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:04 pm

No, but I'm just about to take up lessons again. I did them when I was 17 for a couple of months, but I couldn't afford to pay for them on a basic minimum wage, so I had to give it up.

I'm 21 now and can afford it, even if I'm on benefits, but even so, as long as I can get a car and pass my test and all that before I'm recovered and back to college/work again, I could get away with it.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:05 pm

I drive as part of my job and my aspie nephew is 22 and now has an interest in learning to drive because of his uncle.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:08 pm

I drive. I got my license when I was 20. I passed on the first try. I didn't drive on the freeway until recently. It was terrifying when I tried it after I got my license, so I didn't try it for a long time, but I tried it a couple of months ago, when I was driving late at night and wanted to avoid a scary deserted hilly road, and my only other option was the freeway, and it was fine at night in low traffic, so I tried it during the daytime in rush hour traffic, and that was fine too, so I can drive on the freeway now, which means that I am no longer limited in my driving, although my parallel parking is still gawdawful.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:15 pm

Ahh, the motorway. I never had any problems with those roads. Just an extra lane or two (M25)

Can't quite understand why people are scared or them. Or nervous.

If you can drive on a road where two lanes are in your direction and two lanes in the opposite direction, you will be fine. As an extra lane is added, it's pretty much the same.

It probably helped that I had an interest in cars as a child.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 6:35 pm

I don't drive. I never expect to drive in my life.

I have severe sensory issues, and have sensory overload that can hit at any moment. Sometimes I am effectively blinded. Sometimes I can't process any of what's around me. Sometimes I disassociate. Any of those happening while I'm driving would be incredibly unsafe. These happen when I walk down the sidewalk, they'd happen if I drove. I usually disassociate if I try to walk at night.

I describe it as "less safe than having someone with uncontrolled narcolepsy drive".

My boyfriend is currently starting to learn to drive. He's 27. He didn't learn to drive when he was younger because of issues with hyperfocus. At 16 he was apparently regularly walking into walls because he would get so thought up in whatever he was thinking about.

qo0op
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2012, 6:52 pm

I just walk...if a place is not further away than a two hour walk then I`ll walk. If it is further, then I`ll stay at home :D I hate public transport.
Both of my parents don`t drive so I guess I grew up without learning how it is to have a car and it still doesn`t interest me. They are loud, they stink, you need a place to keep it and then there is need to spend a money on insurances and whatnot. No, I`ll manage.

edit: HEY I`M A BUTTERFLY!

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2012, 7:54 pm

I drive, but I'm not a particularly good driver. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my group of friends that has an ASD that drives...

"Don't be That One Aspie..."