Massive misunderstandings and misinterpretations abound

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:18 am

Ive noticed of late that there are quite a few examples of individuals who claim that person x did this out of spite or malice. When they give an example it appears tha person x is not being anything of the sort. Im not claiming to be some sort of social guru since in my own interactions I interpret everything as a slight. Reason tells me that it cant be so but still....

Anyway has anyone else noticed this. I'd like to give examples but I dont want to name and shame anyone. Oh i'll give an example frm my own life. I will assume that people saying nothing to my comments is a sign of extreme disrespect. When I pointed this out to my dad he laughed mockingly. During my firdt year of uni I had to learn how ironic humour worked. I had no concept of the type of joke that runs something like "Im a secret millionaire you know". This caused a lot of problems for me as well as a lot of confusion.... I thought that 1 of my flatmates was a pervert!

Has anyone else noticed paranoid/defensive atittudes here at all?

p.s. hope this doesnt come off as accusatory

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

It's been my experience that many people misread me.

So conversely, I usually try to take people at face value when they say something as I know that based on my aspieness and experience I'll probably misread them anyhow.

As such I tend to be a bit naive and have become a bit more of a cautious individual when I find people asking things of me.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 3:45 pm

Are you talking about WP posters? From the context I assume that that's the case. Yes, not just recently. Misunderstandings often happen. I have seen quite a few cases. That's why I myself try to be very careful in wording my response.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 3:51 pm

Being misunderstood can and does happens to everyone. It's just being on the spectrum make it orders of magnitude worse.

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2014, 4:50 pm

So, why do misinterpretations bother you? As they say to err is human. Sometimes in the process of writing things down you notice that you made an error in judgment. I journal and self-reflect for this reason, it enables me to examine my triggers and establish goals to work towards. Also, it's hard to know the full context of certain situations in forum posts because we tend to focus on certain areas (and omit others). I know when I am writing out an example I do not include all the information I have because I know it would make a very very lengthy post, so if I mention that someone is being an ass in my life they actually are being an ass from my point of view (as evidenced through their behaviour over a lengthy period of time).